cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #11
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I will say I tried it once. There was something I really, really wanted, and making the deal gave me the opportunity to reflect on areas where I thought I was falling short. But here's the problem: I didn't get what I wanted, and I still felt obligated to live up to my end of the deal because it was something I should have been doing anyway. Perhaps that's even more nonsensical.

If it's something you should have been doing already, then did you really bring anything "new" into this agreement? In other words, there was some part of you that felt like this was something already included in your current obligations but you may not have been doing it. If you look at scriptural examples, it seems like the person makes the deal to do something beyond what they're expected to do, such as the prophet Samuel's mom promising to give his son to the Lord's service if she could just have a son. When Samuel was born and was old enough, she took him to serve in the temple. That was beyond what her normal obligations would have been and God gave her what she asked for in return. At least that is the story. There are several other examples, especially in the OT.

Last edited by BlueK; 04-23-2009 at 06:50 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #12
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
If it's something you should have been doing already, then did you really bring anything "new" into this agreement? In other words, there was some part of you that felt like this was something already included in your current obligations but you may not have been doing it. If you look at scriptural examples, it seems like the person makes the deal to do something beyond what they're expected to do, such as the prophet Samuel's mom promising to give his son to the Lord's service if she could just have a son. When Samuel was born and was old enough, she took him to serve in the temple. That was beyond what her normal obligations would have been and God gave her what she asked for in return. At least that is the story. There are several other examples, especially in the OT.
I see your point, but in my case, I made a specific promise to God in a way I hadn't done before, so I do think that was a new level, especially since it had been something I had previously decided I was not going to observe. I guess it was the fact that I made that promise that made me feel obliged, even though I didn't get what I wanted.

I should take a look at a few of the OT examples. I'm not a whiz with the OT.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #13
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
you are likely to learn something in the process. Is it wrong to push against the earth, hoping to move it?
I can see arguments for and against that.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 08:00 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
I can see arguments for and against that.
That's the lawyer in you.