cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Your opinion of Bronco if BYU wins 7 will:
Remain the same 15 68.18%
Increase 2 9.09%
Decrease 5 22.73%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-21-2006, 06:17 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

P.S. to my last post

I expect BYU to be very good this year. I would be very dissappointed with a 7 win season.

But if we won only seven, I don't think it would change my opinion of Bronco much because

a. my opinion's not super high anyway and I think he's evolving into the job
b. it would most likely be because of personnel on the defense and I'll try to be patient as he gets his recruits in place
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
b. it would most likely be because of personnel on the defense and I'll try to be patient as he gets his recruits in place
Yes, because he hasn't been the defensive coordinator the last 3 seasons... or the guy evaluating and approving any of the defensive recruits.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #13
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36
Yes, because he hasn't been the defensive coordinator the last 3 seasons... or the guy evaluating and approving any of the defensive recruits.
No kidding.

It's not like he has had three full recruiting seasons to get his guys.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 07:13 PM   #14
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11
No kidding.

It's not like he has had three full recruiting seasons to get his guys.
I mean, 2003 was successful defensively. 2004 had potential to be a solid team as a whole, but they just imploded and a lot of guys just quit. 2004 was a frustrating season.

I can understand losing a few guys in the secondary and d-line as Honor Code casulties... but there has also been other years to address these problems. 2004's guys would be Soph's this year (assuming they redshirted one season). I, for one, would be much more comfortable counting on Jrs and Srs at most positions than Sophs.

But what do I know... I'm just some loser on an internet message board.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:34 PM   #15
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I mean, 2003 was successful defensively. 2004 had potential to be a solid team as a whole, but they just imploded and a lot of guys just quit. 2004 was a frustrating season.

I can understand losing a few guys in the secondary and d-line as Honor Code casulties... but there has also been other years to address these problems. 2004's guys would be Soph's this year (assuming they redshirted one season). I, for one, would be much more comfortable counting on Jrs and Srs at most positions than Sophs.

But what do I know... I'm just some loser on an internet message board.
Bronco didn't recruit before he became a head coach. I know that's ridiculous but it's the way Crowton/Bronco set it up.

On recruiting since Bronco's become a head coach, I'm doing my best not to crack on him for lack of recruiting, but to have faith in the Goatnapper theory. That is that Bronco had his hands tied by the admin his first couple years but as he develops his own political power and gets a longer leash, he will increase efforts to recruit non-LDS. Either that, or Bronco was young and dumb but he's smartening up quick as he sees that leadership strength on your mission doesn't translate to covering opposing WR's.

Either way, I can see that this group of freshman is better than last year's group, and having faith that next year's group will even better and so on.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:43 PM   #16
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos
Bronco didn't recruit before he became a head coach. I know that's ridiculous but it's the way Crowton/Bronco set it up.
Bronco didn't GO OUT and recruit. To say that Bronco had no hand in the process is asinine. I'm sure Bronco watched film, evaluated players, ranked them and said, this is a guy I want, don't want, etc. and let other coaches go out and actually make the pitch. To say that Bronco didn't recruit at all, is a joke and completely untrue. If it is true, then my opinion of Bronco just dropped a WHOLE lot, because that is one of the most stupid and arrogant things that a coach could do, IMO, especially at the collegiate level.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:52 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I will be concerned if he wins 7 games

however, for many reasons I will still be optimistic. I am somewhat like Jay in that I had such low expectations on the guy that I am pleasently suprised at his performance thus far. In fact perhaps it is the homer in me but I tend to believe BYU backed itself into two very good hires in Bronco and Dave Rose. I will admit that I doubt if I have the same expectations of many fans.

But I think he needs to win 8 games this year.

Further, I am a proponent of the Goatnapper theory on Bronco. I think part of his approach is to appear like a mission president mullah to the numerous dimwits, who unwittingly are the programs biggest threats, in the BYU fanbase who want to believe the coach is mission president material. I am not of their number as f-bombs don't offend me as much as nationally televised ass kickings from mediocre non-BCS programs. However, they are part of the deal and to be effective he has to pacify them into a state of carnal security while he builds the clout he needs. I believe the Russell Tialeeva case to be instance 1 of his clout being realized. So I believe his plan is working.

Further, I think that if this recruiting year is indicative of his recruiting, he is fine. If BYU lands one of the three highly touted LDS kids they are after I would say his class is every bit as good as Lavell did in most of the 90's. The issue at BYU has not been talent that signs LOI's it has been talent that signs LOI's and does not make it or last very long after arriving. Right now Bronco has committs from 4 non-LDS kids and 3 of those non-LDS kids are some of BYU's best recruits. If he gets 4-6 non LDS kids a class that gets him to about 20 non-LDS kids in the program which I think is a good goal. I believe Bronco is working towards that but it must be done carefully and with the right kids early. It is too early to tell if this year is an anomaly with some non-LDS studly athletes(Kessman and Duliugi) who are just attracted to BYU for its uniqueness or if Bronco and his staff are just good recruiters. But if all the kids committed sign and stay at BYU, I think this class has the potential to be really good.
Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 PM   #18
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Bronco didn't GO OUT and recruit. To say that Bronco had no hand in the process is asinine. I'm sure Bronco watched film, evaluated players, ranked them and said, this is a guy I want, don't want, etc. and let other coaches go out and actually make the pitch. To say that Bronco didn't recruit at all, is a joke and completely untrue. If it is true, then my opinion of Bronco just dropped a WHOLE lot, because that is one of the most stupid and arrogant things that a coach could do, IMO, especially at the collegiate level.
This was my understanding as well.

Bronco recruited, he just did it behind a desk.

Either way if he is targeting his players, and a coach is recruiting the guys Bronco wants, Bronco has had multiple years to get the players he wants.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:12 PM   #19
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The issue with talent and Bronco's culpability

is unfair IMO. I can accept that Bronco dropped the ball on the DL with his inability to land another one or two quality JC transfers so that BYU did not have to rely upon true and redshirt freshman, but the secondary woes are a direct consequence to the attrition. I believe that the reason of the attrition was the atmosphere set by the HC with respect to recruiting.

However, if the defense is not improved the roosters will come home to roost next year. But I think it will be.

Bronco was the DC for Crowton's final two years, but the DC still works for a head man who sets the atmosphere. If the entire team improves this year then I think Bronco is doing his job. The dude will not be a legend simply because BYU does not want legendary type football bad enough, but I am more and more convinced that he will have BYU as a top tier team in the MWC.