cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2006, 10:29 PM   #11
OhioBlue

OhioBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

interesting thoughts all. Thanks.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:25 PM   #12
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

You might find this article interesting. I came across it some time ago:

"Sociology market share and Mormon church activity"

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...59/ai_20913874
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:37 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearunderpants View Post
...an intellectually stimulating environment for its members.

The church has done a couple of things that help keep it out of trouble:

1. Avoiding the us -vs- them battle currently being waged by protestant Christians against scientests. The church allows biologist to believe in evolution without suffering too much. At church they may encounter anti-evolutionary comments, but the official stance of the church is that they're not sure.

When I went to the Arizona game with two of my high school friends from Arizona who are Baptist, we went to the wildlife museum. I ended up encountering their belief in a young earth. They completely dismissed all of the various dating methods that serve as evidence for a very old universe and earth. I'm not saying I've completely decided one way or another, but their religion demands that they ignore all scientific evidence and adhere to a strict literal interpretation of the Bible.

I could never attend a religion that demans me to put my head in the sand---not saying I'm intellectual though.

2. Produce massive amounts of scholarly material relating to the gospel. With FARMS and FAIR you get apologetics. You also have deep doctrine and historical scriptual work. It seems that most of the scholarly world outside of LDS circles are dedicated to tearing down faith and the myths that surround most religions.

LDS academics (yes I've read the argument here about if such a thing exists) and intellectuals have plenty of well thought out material to satisfy their need to study and think. The other churches have purposely fought academia and science, making it difficult to be both intellectual and faithful.

nup
Good thoughts but Catholics have plenty of intellectual material and still seem to suffer from they dynamics identified.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:40 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
You might find this article interesting. I came across it some time ago:

"Sociology market share and Mormon church activity"

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...59/ai_20913874
Fascinating article.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:03 AM   #15
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
look at the young men and young women in your wards.

I'm betting there is high correlation between going to college and continued activity.

Failure in the church (if you want to put it that way) seems to equate to overall failure (in terms of education and employment).

I have certainly observed this in my ward. The boys that didn't go on missions are pumping gas. The boys that did go are at college.
My experience agrees.
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:20 AM   #16
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe it's simply genetics ... an intersting side effect of the early practice of polygamy
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 01:28 AM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Good heavens. I can't believe SU has not commented on this thread yet.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:05 AM   #18
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

The LDS Church did or somehow sponsored the studies. One of the things it does well is develop and diseminate bullshit data. Regardless, the data is bullshit. This is like saying there are 11 million members. Right. I personally baptized hundreds of them, 99% of whom I'm sure are inactive. Let me ask you this: Where is there a 76% activity rate, or even a 41% activity rate? Nowhere. The activity rates certainly are not this high worldwide. That's prima facie evidence the data is cooked.

Another factor is that the Church does a good job of enmeshing talented people in its social structure and culture, so that after a point apostasy means economic and social catastrophe. That's the case in Utah and Southern Idaho, anyway, which is still where the back bone and nerve center of the Church resides.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:20 AM   #19
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

All the litigators here know that these types of statistics are always suspect, can easily be skewed, or sliced and diced in ways that serve various ends, and given time to conduct background investigation cross-exmaining the author of such stidies can be like shooting clay pigeon. It's like when NOW says most Americans support abortion rights. I still say the LDS Church is behind these "studies."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:21 AM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
The LDS Church did or somehow sponsored the studies. One of the things it does well is develop and diseminate bullshit data. Regardless, the data is bullshit. This is like saying there are 11 million members. Right. I personally baptized hundreds of them, 99% of whom I'm sure are inactive. Let me ask you this: Where is there a 76% activity rate, or even a 41% activity rate? Nowhere. The activity rates certainly are not this high worldwide. That's prima facie evidence the data is cooked.

Another factor is that the Church does a good job of enmeshing talented people in its social structure and culture, so that after a point apostasy means economic and social catastrophe. That's the case in Utah and Southern Idaho, anyway, which is still where the back bone and nerve center of the Church resides.
There's the SeattleUte we all know and love.

You personally baptized hundreds? Now, that sounds like bullshit data.