cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2006, 09:34 PM   #11
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

I've talked with Sandra a few times and saw Jerald once. Sandra would run the little store they had out of the front of their house on West Temple by the ball field.

The Tanners are interesting. They've strongly criticized Ed Decker, Walter Martin, and D.J. Nelson. They were very public in their criticisms of Walter Martin's efforts to revive the Spaulding Theory back in the early 80s, but they did so in part because it contradicted their pet theory--that Ethan Smith's "Views of the Hebrews" was source material for the BoM.

They proffered a more bookish brand of anti-Mormonism than most, but they sometimes weren't above silly rumor mongering and invective. During the Mark Hoffmann events, their were alot of Mormons walking into their store...
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 PM   #12
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
During the Mark Hoffmann events, their were alot of Mormons walking into their store...
Did a lot of people leave the church because of the Mark Hoffman fiasco?

Interesting the pundits on cougarboard think that the church's recent investment is a can't miss because of prophetic vision, yet not that long ago this same prophetic vision couldn't see through an 'anti-Christ.'

This isn't a slam on the men that are in charge of our church, but a commentary on the lemmings that surround us in church every single Sunday.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 09:58 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

reading the McKay biog it is clear that the financial well-being of the church is relatively recent phenomenon. Last 30 to 40 years. Before that, not so good.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:06 PM   #14
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Did a lot of people leave the church because of the Mark Hoffman fiasco?

Interesting the pundits on cougarboard think that the church's recent investment is a can't miss because of prophetic vision, yet not that long ago this same prophetic vision couldn't see through an 'anti-Christ.'

This isn't a slam on the men that are in charge of our church, but a commentary on the lemmings that surround us in church every single Sunday.
I don't have numbers on this, but my feel for the fallout on the Hoffman fiasco is that for some Mormons it facilitated the move from a simple testimony to one more nuanced and willing to accomodate leaders' fallibilities. My dad was one of those who stopped in at the Tanner's store.

It probably contributed to some people's inactivity and even apostasty as well, but my sense is that not a whole lot of that happened.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 10-04-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:19 PM   #15
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
reading the McKay biog it is clear that the financial well-being of the church is relatively recent phenomenon. Last 30 to 40 years. Before that, not so good.
Amen to that. I was amazed to learn how close the church was to bankruptcy in my lifetime.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #16
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post

Amen. If the history of The Church has taught us anything, it is that we can't count on divine inspiration to guide its financial/investment decisions (outside of the directive to stay out of debt, which I believe The Church learned through hard experience). My view is that The Lord let's temporal matters remain temporal.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote