cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
yes but then you have to explain why the movement has grown many times faster than Mormonism
So has radical Islam. What's your point?
Old 01-31-2007, 05:52 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
yes but then you have to explain why the movement has grown many times faster than Mormonism
Because you don't have to change a damn thing about who you are or what you do. And thanks to the ultra-generous interpretation of grace, you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want and not have to worry about your salvation either.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #13
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Because you don't have to change a damn thing about who you are or what you do. And thanks to the ultra-generous interpretation of grace, you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want and not have to worry about your salvation either.
Evangelicalism (or, more properly, neo-evangelicalism in the U.S.) began as a movement amongst millions of people who were already in Christian churches.

The number of commited evangelicals who think "you can do pretty much whatever the hell you want" is comparatively few. That claim is a canard that doesn't hold up very well in reality. Your basic, committed evangelical feels a strong responsibility to study the bible, show love for neighbors, and generally follow the example of Jesus. These activities are seen as evidence of sincere devotion to Christ. They sound good to me.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 01-31-2007 at 06:31 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:11 PM   #14
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
So has radical Islam. What's your point?
The point of course is that the LDS Church has trumpeted their purportedly spectacular growth rate, at least implying that this was some kind of evidence God was on their side. However, since Mormons have not occupited territories with armies its claims have been only as good as LDS Church generated statistics. I could drive you nuts bending your ear on this numbers game the LDS church has played. I was exposed to this in a distasteful manner on my mission.

Yes, Islam has cited amazing its growth as evidence that it is God's one true faith, on much stronger evidence. By the time Islam was 100 years old it was over half the way to converting/conquering the entire known world.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:16 PM   #15
SeattleUte

Quote:
I think you are mixing these folks up with Catholics. I've not even donned the door to an Evangelical church but I think they do demand a lot of their adherants.

Also, if we're going to play that game I think Islam demands more than Mormonism. The very meaning of the word is submission.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-31-2007, 06:17 PM   #16
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is the #1 lie Mormons perpetuate about Christians.

Your characterization of Christian doctrine is no less accurate than Christians who criticize us for saying we work our way to heaven.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:31 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

all of Missouri would be Mormon if we used Muslim religious tactics.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
how can you compare an ill-defined movement in mainstream Christianity to something like Mormonism?

We can't even define what an evangelical is.

Recent statistics show that The Assemblies of God grew at the fastest rate. Mormons were second. Roman Catholics are third, but Mormons percent increase was twice as large.

Oh, and there are double the number of Mormons as their are members of the The Assemblies of God.

There will soon be more Mormons than Methodists in the US, and there have long been more Mormons than Presbyterians.

I know this stuff just kills you.

But I'd like to thank you for keeping your name on the rolls. And sticking around in the Mormon conversation and otherwise associating with Mormons.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #19
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
This is the #1 lie Mormons perpetuate about Christians.

Your characterization of Christian doctrine is no less accurate than Christians who criticize us for saying we work our way to heaven.
Clearly Indy doesn't have the slightest idea what grace means in traditional Christian theology.

—Paul Auster
Old 01-31-2007, 06:49 PM   #20
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
That's an obvious and easy answer.

Deathbed repentance vs. No Death Bed repentance.....in other words....do whatever the you want, works be damned, you'll still be saved by His Grace...that's the fundamental difference.

In the Mormon faith you have to work at it and are held accountable for your actions if you sin seriously. In a lot of other faiths it's...."Hey it's okay you just screwed 5 people this year, you're still saved". No works. That's the difference from most of them.

Now I'm sure this is where you come in with some lame "witty" remark telling me how stupid I am, others who think this way, and the church is..........carry on.