cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2007, 03:29 AM   #11
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

30????? Make it 50 and a soft 50 at that. No need to pretend you're 21 in your 30's (as it sounds like some of your colleagues have done), but you can still have a lot of fun skiing. FWIW, I've been much stronger and healthier in my 30's than I was in my 20's. The only thing that's gone downhill is healing time. Tendonitis etc... lasts 3 or 4 weeks now when it lasted 3 or 4 days back then.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:33 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Baseball ended my skiing days long ago.

I should have been a 2nd baseman rather than a catcher.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #13
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
As in Utah, skiing is very popular in Seattle. We don't have any world class resorts within 30 minutes of downtown but there are some respectable ones within an hour away, and some say Whistler is the best in the world, about four hours from Seattle. Many of my partners and other colleagues ski and this time every year some of them are dragging themselves around with terrible injuries--broken legs, dislocated knees, cracked skulls (one just this year; he's in physical therapy, etc. after spending a couple of weeks in a hospital in Vancouver following a fall from a cliff in Whistler). I know this type of thing would be a burden on my family and a challenge for my career.

It's inevitable, if you're over 30 you'll hurt yourself badly if you ski unless you are a former pro or the like. It's not worth it. Don't ski.
Did Grapevine invade Seattle's keyboard?

What the f...

Skiing, boarding and sex are three of life's greatest pleasures. I usually have the opportunity to enjoy the first two, and I'm well beyond thirty. Hell, I plan on using the senior citizen discount and most twenties and thirties can't keep up on skis. Boarding is something I learned last year.

Skiing is wonderful, truly elegant. I want to ski with my grandkids. My son laughed when I informed him I skied with Tamara and Steve McKinney.

Last edited by Archaea; 03-14-2007 at 04:05 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Not a skiier and never have been. High school sports 'strongly encouraged' that I do not ski during the season which was ski season. I never learned.

My wife on the other hand is fabulous and would go several times a week since she was 5. She has been a ski instructor and she still leaves me on Saturdays to go skiing. She has taken me up several times and it was a complete and utter disaster.

I may try and learn next year...but I do not look forward to being mocked by 5 year olds on the bunny hill.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 04:55 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

It ain't that hard, I think, if you have played sports.

Not that I was really any good. I was on the easiest slopes (one up from the bunny slope). And I enjoyed myself.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:19 PM   #16
Archaea

In case nobody knows who Steve McKinney is, I provide the link.

http://www.skiinghistory.org/speed.html Look at the records in the 1980s.

Now I was never as crazy as Steve, nor as technical as Tamara, but those kids were good. We wondered why we had trouble keeping up and there was good reason.

http://www.skiworldcup.org/load/cham...kinney/01.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamara_McKinney

The problem with skiing isn't age but fitness. If you're an office wonk, unfit, without aerobic and musculature developed, your reaction time slows incredibly and the knees don't respond. If you strive for fitness, you can ski to your heart's content regardless of age. One of the bankruptcy judges I know skied into his eighties. It is a myth that skiing is dangerous, but as with all physical endeavors, you must guage the risk and make proper preparations.

Now I shouldn't enter too many downhills, but rather stick to slaloms (NASTAR or whatever the moniker is now) and maybe a GS if I'm really brave, but Super Gs and Downhills should be avoided as I have too much to lose for my kids.

Last edited by Archaea; 03-14-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 05:44 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
30????? Make it 50 and a soft 50 at that. No need to pretend you're 21 in your 30's (as it sounds like some of your colleagues have done), but you can still have a lot of fun skiing. FWIW, I've been much stronger and healthier in my 30's than I was in my 20's. The only thing that's gone downhill is healing time. Tendonitis etc... lasts 3 or 4 weeks now when it lasted 3 or 4 days back then.
One of the reasons I used age 30 is that people over age 30 tend to have responsiblities such that breaking your leg or being in the hospital for weeks would be a severe hardship.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:07 PM   #18
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Did Grapevine invade Seattle's keyboard?

What the f...

Skiing, boarding and sex are three of life's greatest pleasures. I usually have the opportunity to enjoy the first two, and I'm well beyond thirty. Hell, I plan on using the senior citizen discount and most twenties and thirties can't keep up on skis. Boarding is something I learned last year.

Skiing is wonderful, truly elegant. I want to ski with my grandkids. My son laughed when I informed him I skied with Tamara and Steve McKinney.
I was going to ask if you could keep up with McKinney. The first and most famous speed skiier ever.

I'm over 30 and still ski. I stay away from the bumps but i love to get on the groomed slopes and make fast GS turns all day. It really is a beautiful sport.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 PM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
I was going to ask if you could keep up with McKinney. The first and most famous speed skiier ever.

I'm over 30 and still ski. I stay away from the bumps but i love to get on the groomed slopes and make fast GS turns all day. It really is a beautiful sport.
Steve was always whacko, but boy could he ski. His sister was tiny but very technical and fearless.

I'm just a hack like everybody else but skiing is about fitness, both general and specific. Usually I have the general fitness, but ski specific fitness only arrives at the end of a long weekend. Give a good solid week and I'd be kicking butt.

Never really liked bumps much and hate them now. Bumps are for testing downhillers and gsers. Man does landing at 60 or 70 mph hurt. Just don't run into any haybails.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:22 PM   #20
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I have broken only one bone, and that was while snowboarding. I crashed more than Lindsey Jacobellis.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote