cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Are The Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost, One God?
Yes, because I think 2 Nephi 31:21, D&C 20:28, and D&C 130:22 are correct (see below). 6 66.67%
No, we are polytheistic 0 0%
No, we are polytheistic and specifically henotheistic 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-21-2007, 05:14 PM   #11
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You worship the Holy Ghost? I've never heard that nor read that anywhere.
Certainly you would say you worship Jesus Christ.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 05:23 PM   #12
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post
Kids, this is going nowhere fast. Somebody sound the retreat.
You're probably right AA. To some degree I think you can make an argument for any of the following:

1. monotheism
2. kingdom monotheism
3. bitheism
4. tritheism
5. trinitarianism
6. henotheism
7. polytheism

That's the nature of Mormon doctrine and how it develops. I just wanted to get a sense for how much the metaphysical language was affecting the previous poll. My poll is probably unfair as well, but I did want to point out the strong monotheistic language in restoration scriptures.

Last edited by pelagius; 05-21-2007 at 05:33 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 06:55 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Certainly you would say you worship Jesus Christ.
In a broad sense yes. But in a more narrow sense, no I don't.

If I worshiped the Father and Christ equally, then I would pray to both.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 08:46 PM   #14
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In a broad sense yes. But in a more narrow sense, no I don't.

If I worshiped the Father and Christ equally, then I would pray to both.
Interesting answer. This is a topic worth discussion.

Without getting deep into the monotheist/polytheist philosphical difference issue, the following is how I think most Mormons would answer--That we worship Jesus Christ more than God the Father because we only have access to the Father through him, so he becomes the focal point of our worship.

Logically, though Archie calls the Trinity doctrine illogical, it gets really hard to explain who you worship and when and why if you take a polytheist view.

Bringing in Pelagius' LDS as monotheist view you could rephrase things.

We worship the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost together as one God. You don't seperate your worship one from the other. You may at different times consciously worship the aspect or part of the Godhood which is God the Father or the aspect or part of the Godhead which is Savior Jesus Christ, but since they are one God, it doesn't matter.

This resolves the polytheistic "worship jealousy" issue I've wondered. If I worship the Son, does it mean I'm snubbing the Father and vice versa??
Old 05-21-2007, 09:15 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Aren't we playing with words?

We acknowledge God the Father, as the chief divinity, recognize God the Father has delegated certain rights and powers to Christ, but in the agreement between the two of them, we will always recognize Father as President, with Christ as First Counselor.

The Holy Ghost is the Second Counselor messenger.

We have respect for Christ and the Holy Ghost, but we direct our worship to God the Father. Unless we are the President of the Church speaking to our direct lineal priesthood superior, we do NOT pray to Christ.

If you do a worthiness interview, do you interview with the First or Second Counselor? No, you interview with the Bishop.

We're getting too caught up in the mono, heno and poly, worried that somebody else might label us. Mike is correct, Nicene Creedists are really not Christian or maybe only Christians who reject Elohim. It looks as if we are more along the lines of Arius, instead of Athanasius.

I'm also interested in adoptionist philosophy, finding that fascinating though not something LDS will or should accept.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

We have respect for Christ and the Holy Ghost, but we direct our worship to God the Father.
This is not my understanding. Now I'm wondering if my theology is messed up more than I thought. I've always considered Christ the primary focal point of LDS worship. Arch and MW have me wondering...
Old 05-21-2007, 09:37 PM   #17
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
You're probably right AA. To some degree I think you can make an argument for any of the following:

1. monotheism
2. kingdom monotheism
3. bitheism
4. tritheism
5. trinitarianism
6. henotheism
7. polytheism
Of course the elements of that list are not all mutually exclusive. I believe I caused the confusion yesterday and I apologize. I was befuddled by a few of the comments. But with the help of an able board member, I think I've gotta a better sense of things.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This is not my understanding. Now I'm wondering if my theology is messed up more than I thought. I've always considered Christ the primary focal point of LDS worship. Arch and MW have me wondering...

We are not allowed to speak to Christ.

We follow his example to the Father, and take on burdens He proscribes, but we do not speak to Christ, because he will reiterate the words of Father.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:40 PM   #19
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOr...____&hideNav=1
Old 05-21-2007, 09:43 PM   #20
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Jay, I don't think you are that far out there on this one. Here is a quote from the 1989 first presidency easter message (emphasis added):
Quote:
To the solemn witness of the holy scriptures, ancient and modern, we add our declaration:

We worship Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.
He lives; He is the Son of God.

He came to earth as the Only Begotten of the Father, fulfilling through His suffering in Gethsemane and upon the cross, the atoning sacrifice by which all mankind may be saved.
(LDS Church News, 03/18/89)
Add 3 Nephi 11:17 and even 3 Nephi 19:17-18:
Quote:
17 And it came to pass that when they had all knelt down upon the earth, he commanded his disciples that they should pray. 18 And behold, they began to pray; and they did pray unto Jesus, calling him their Lord and their God.
Plus, the talk creekster cites:"I worship Him as I worship His Father." [President Hinckley"]

So there is clearly at least some notion in current Mormon thought and restoration scripture that we worship Jesus. That worship even manifests itself as praying to Jesus (at least once). Does this constitute the primary focal point? I don't know.

Last edited by pelagius; 05-21-2007 at 09:49 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote