cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-13-2007, 02:18 PM   #11
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
FTR, my fellow fans drive me bananas, too. For slightly different reasons, but the homer victimization complex is accurate.

But what really gets me is the "we've never really lost a game" mentality. Always an excuse at the ready to explain any loss...usually the refs. I kid you not they still talk about a missed holding call from BEFORE I WAS BORN. You'd be amazed to learn you can lose a game by twenty points and it's still the refs' fault.
So, how did they handle the Statue of Liberty play then?
Old 06-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I absolutely cant stand 99% of them. They are not knowledgable, they are the biggest homers on the face of the planet, they only see things one way. It is getting on my last nerve. Cb is full of them. The worst part about it is that it has carried over to most Jazz fans over there as well. BRJ8 is the epitome of a zoob.

It just gets on my nerves when you try to talk sports, and you sound like a complete douche bag. Please do some research before you try and talk to me on my level when it comes to sports. I know I may sound like a sports snob but i dont try and talk about computer programming and global warming with you, so dont talk football, or basketball with me. y

If you are wrong admit it, and move on, dont argue a point that makes no sense and is just making you look dumber by the minute. If you go to a game WATCH IT! It is not a social event, it is not relief society, it is not time to study. Do that shit at home on your own time dont distract me from watching the game because you are turned around the whole damn time taking pictures with your friends and talking about the cute boy/girl in biology. Pay attention, when someone scores do not and i mean do not ever say "What just happened"

I know the Utes have some fans like this as well but they just seem to have it together a little bit more.

Sorry rant over, carryon.

So let's talk BYU football. What do you want to talk about?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 02:57 PM   #13
nikuman

nikuman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
So, how did they handle the Statue of Liberty play then?
The OU fans I know still aren't sober.
nikuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikuman View Post
The OU fans I know still aren't sober.
You should've seen them coming out of the stadium.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok let me clarify maybe 99% was harsh however i still stand by everything i said. I did not grow up in Utah, i have been to more sporting events in my lifetime than most people on this board (not bragging, just a fact). Provo by far tops any other venue i have ever been to in regards to uneducated fans. Especially the student body. The majority (is that better DodoubleG?) do not know what the hell is going on during the game, they show up halfway through the first quarter sometimes later. A lot of them are turned around talking the whole time.

You can say this happens everywhere and maybe it does, but not to this magnitude. I dont expect women to be on the same level as the guys, however you can still respect the fact that a football game is going on. You dont have to be diehard either and know every players height, weight, and jock size. But you should know or be trying to learn the simple rules of football as well as who we are playing, the current score and key players. Its really not a very hard concept.
Old 06-13-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Of course the BYU student body is less educated about sports. Look at the GPA and moral standards they have to subscribe to. Let's stipulate there is nothing wrong whatsoever with good grades and high moral standards. However, statistically speaking I would guess that test group would be less interested in sports. They would be at the games more for social reasons or to get to hear a rousing rendition of "pop corn poppin".

They are not that much different than the crowd at the game as a whole. My guess is that 20% of the crowd is there for much the same reasons they attend Sacrament meeting. It is the socially responsible thing to do.

If BYU really got into the "big time" and joined a BCS conference, the fans base would become more educated. The cost to participate would force out the "social event" group.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:47 PM   #17
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

One thing I liked as a student about the basketball games is, the earlier you showed up, the better your seats. Those who were there for the social aspect usually wouldn't show up two hours before the game, or stand outside all freaking day to watch a girls game and get tickets to the BYU-Utah game.

Self-admittedly I know less about the technical aspects of a basketball game than I do about football, but I understand the flow of the game (basketball), the difference between a 2-3, 3-2, 1-3-1 zones, etc. as well as simple offensive play sets. Again, nowhere near the level that I understand football, but that is beside the point.

The point I am trying to make is that with Basketball, those fans who are die-hards, who know about the game and who will make some noise and come up with the best taunts usually will show up earlier to get good seats. It puts the 'social' kids further back, and makes for at times a better atmosphere. It also helps have the place more full for the start of the game.

I wish they would do the same for football, something like the MUSS. Utah sure has BYU beat by a long shot when I compare the MUSS to anything BYU has offered.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 03:58 PM   #18
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
One thing I liked as a student about the basketball games is, the earlier you showed up, the better your seats. Those who were there for the social aspect usually wouldn't show up two hours before the game, or stand outside all freaking day to watch a girls game and get tickets to the BYU-Utah game.

Self-admittedly I know less about the technical aspects of a basketball game than I do about football, but I understand the flow of the game (basketball), the difference between a 2-3, 3-2, 1-3-1 zones, etc. as well as simple offensive play sets. Again, nowhere near the level that I understand football, but that is beside the point.

The point I am trying to make is that with Basketball, those fans who are die-hards, who know about the game and who will make some noise and come up with the best taunts usually will show up earlier to get good seats. It puts the 'social' kids further back, and makes for at times a better atmosphere. It also helps have the place more full for the start of the game.

I wish they would do the same for football, something like the MUSS. Utah sure has BYU beat by a long shot when I compare the MUSS to anything BYU has offered.
When we went to Arizona its first come first serve in the student section, every student was in red, they opened the gates 2 hours before and it was a mad dash to the seats, filled up very early.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:37 PM   #19
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ok let me clarify maybe 99% was harsh however i still stand by everything i said. I did not grow up in Utah, i have been to more sporting events in my lifetime than most people on this board (not bragging, just a fact). Provo by far tops any other venue i have ever been to in regards to uneducated fans. Especially the student body. The majority (is that better DodoubleG?) do not know what the hell is going on during the game, they show up halfway through the first quarter sometimes later. A lot of them are turned around talking the whole time.

You can say this happens everywhere and maybe it does, but not to this magnitude. I dont expect women to be on the same level as the guys, however you can still respect the fact that a football game is going on. You dont have to be diehard either and know every players height, weight, and jock size. But you should know or be trying to learn the simple rules of football as well as who we are playing, the current score and key players. Its really not a very hard concept.
I'm hoping there will be a big change in the attitude of the student body fan base due to the pricing changes. I'm really excited to see what happens with the East bench with the studnets paying $150 a seat.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:40 PM   #20
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
When we went to Arizona its first come first serve in the student section, every student was in red, they opened the gates 2 hours before and it was a mad dash to the seats, filled up very early.
I emailed tom holmoe about this and suggested the idea of open seating and mandatory blue to even get into the section. he liked the idea of fans wearing blue, but talked about the demand for tickets is MUCH higher at BYU than at U of A. although they did change the ticket prices and the way they are distributed to students which is a HUGE step in the right direction.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote