cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2007, 02:05 AM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
I was wondering what to do tomorrow, because it was bad.
i have an idea for tomorrow, since it is the sabbath how about you rest?
Old 07-15-2007, 02:15 AM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
i have an idea for tomorrow, since it is the sabbath how about you rest?
Never happen.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:22 AM   #13
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

Arch don't kill yourself over some preconceived notion that I'm any good at this sport. That sounded like it crossed over from the bonk zone to the danger zone. With your ability to do ninety miles in four and one half hours I'm just hoping to hang on. I'm working hard this month not because I want to ride the legs off anybody but for fear of being embarrassed.

I have two goals for the ULCER ride

1. I want to meet and ride with the guys from Cougarguard.

2. To have a good time and be able to smile at the end.

My worse bonk was during my second year of riding. I did fifty miles one day and decided I could so a lot more so I decided to do the lower loop around Yellowstone Park. I don't remember carrying any food and only had a small water bottle. I take off from West Yellowstone and when I arrive at Old Faithful 30 miles later I fuel up with a can of Coke.

The next thirty miles you cross the continental divide twice and it's a pretty good push to Lake. So i've got roughly 60 more miles to go and I bonk. I suffered so much those next 30 miles that every roll in the road felt like a major climb. I started thinking of crazy things like hiding behind a tree and when a truck slowed down to look at a buffalo I would throw my bike in the back and hide.

I finally stopped at Canyon and sat down and ate a meal. About 15 minutes after the meal I started feeling better and was able to make it back to West just before dark.

Those thirty miles were hell but I wasn't even close to point Arch was. Arch you are one tough SOB to continue under those conditions. I can't imagine the agony you must have been feeling.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:44 AM   #14
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I had one similar to yours Archaea. I was doing a 60+ miler on one of the most difficult rides around our area. I was out of shape and trying to get a couple of tough rides in before an easy century I was doing about a month down the road. I was feeling kind of crappy the night before and took some Nyquil so I could sleep without coughing up a lung.

Well, when we got to the big climb "Buzzard Roost Road" I thought I was going to die. I had the same feelings (no HR monitor on) you described and one really odd feeling of wanting to sleep. At the top of the climb I got off the bike, lay on the ground and pretty much went to sleep. I told the guy I was riding with (his first time on that route) how to get home and said I'm taking a 10 minute nap. He really considered leaving me but ended up sticking around. I power napped for about 10 minutes and then felt well enough to go on. The rest of the ride was filled with cramps (which I've never had cycling before or since) and nausea. The single worst day on a bike I've ever had. I think the Nyquil was a factor as well as general deconditioning while trying to ride a tough route.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote