cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2008, 12:24 PM   #281
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The problem I have with your argument is that you are saying if Blacks weren't nonviolent you wouldn't support civil rights.

You should be able to see the merits of the Palestinian cause, even if they aren't lining up to be shot like in the movie Gandhi.

You kick a dog everyday , and then when it bites, you have it put to death. Maybe you would should be owning up to your culpability.
I meant I could be swayed to be more or even fully supportive. I suspect most Americans would agree that the Palestinians have a right to a homeland. They just don't sympathize with the tactics used and easily revert back to a long-held support of Israel when another civilian target is attacked. Even if the Palestinians swore off targeting civilians and kept their attacks to Israeli secruity forces, I think you would see a shift in opinion.

As it stands, arguements in support of the Palestinians fall on deaf ears because most Americans, if faced with the same threat a being attacked on a bus or at a market by an enemy that opening advocates for their destruction, would do just as the Israelis are doing.

Another interesting comparison: India, an independent nation since 1947.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:47 PM   #282
galapagos

galapagos is on a distinguished road

Mike, that's true what you just said. Besides Palestine Natanyahu will fight Iran to death. Palestinians are "brave" because they know that Ahmedinijan is building nuclear weapons and financing them against to totally destroy Israel. Once Iran is no threat palestinian will change their tactics..the same goes for Lebanon. Syria is afarid to even start a war. Jordan lives in peace with us, so does Egypt. Jordan and Egypt learned a lesson in the past that they shouldn't mess with Israel in playing the war. Iran never had this lesson and I hope they will have it. As I've said before our prime minister is a weak man, Sharon was chosen because israelis believed in his past glory and what he did in the past battles. Sharon also became way too much soft in the end of his politicl career before getting hospitalized. Natanyahu is a different man. His brother Yonatan Natanyahi is literally a hero( he's the one who commanded the Eintebe operation in Uganda when israeli plain was taken over and hostages were released by israeli SWAT team ). Yonatan died in that operation. Today, Israel needs a leader like Benjamin Natanyahu, otherwise the situation will only get worse. They already bomb our malls in Ashkelon from Gaza, whats going to be next?

Quote:
Netanyahu will kill thousands of palestinians. Palestinians will kill hundreds of Israelis.

This is what he wants. More war. More toughness.

And somehow, magically, because "Arabs only respond to strength", the Palestinians will beg for mercy, and there will be peace ever after.
galapagos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #283
galapagos

the aid you're talking about is the aid for Israeli army. 1/3 of our budget goes to the army and security, no more , less budget for army? All those crappy talks about giving away lands will remain in the air. I dont believe anyone will do it. Olmert is considering doing that but will the people let him to? Think about Rabin and what happened to him

Quote:
The First Intifadah yielded nothing. They protested, they had strikes, they had boycotts, etc.

They only got punched in their mouth for it.

Also there was international pressure against the South African regime. Israel, however, has, a lot of international SUPPORT.

I bet if the USA stopped giving Israel aid, Israel would be at the negotiating table. Israel has the luxury of continuing the occupation unfettered.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:54 PM   #284
galapagos

you're somewhat right, but then again can you be 100% perfect when sharing the land? gosh, during civil war in the US farmers killed each other and took each others land and farms, how can a state be better than those farmers?

Quote:
There's some fierce irony that Israel was created partly as response to prejudice and oppression of Jews, yet the Jews are doing the same thing, arguably, to Palestinians.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:58 PM   #285
galapagos

true, another example for oppressing people: indians by americans. So israelis aren't that bad when reviewing their actions towards palestinians

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Not entirely true. For example, the extermination and relocation of the Navajos was done under the direction of General James H. Carleton, who refused to listen to the objections and reservations of his advisors. When the news of the disaster reached the eastern press and Carleton's bosses in the US Army, he was sacked and the Navajos were returned to Arizona.

Interestingly, prior to his assignment in New Mexico, Carleton was in charge of investigating the MMM in Utah. He recommended extermination of Mormons in Utah but didn't get his way with that one.
Old 05-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #286
galapagos

then you're with Ahmadinijad, who wants to wipe out all of the jews from the face of the Earth, I wonder if you're mormon at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Do you really find that surprising.

Let's see, Iran, Syria, Lebanon, terrorists. Israel: democratic and believes in half of the Bible and is powerful financially in US.

Duh, I am going to side with the Arabs.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:19 PM   #287
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by galapagos View Post
Ahmadinijad, who wants to wipe out all of the jews from the face of the Earth
Is it the same guy who wants to wipe out all of the jews from the face of the earth???

Mindfulcoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #288
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

This is known as clever PR.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 05:21 PM   #289
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Is the word "Zionist" an epithet? I have no idea.

Hagee calls himself a Christian Zionist. Arabs differentiate between Zionists and Jews.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:14 PM   #290
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
Is it the same guy who wants to wipe out all of the jews from the face of the earth???
LOL, mindful. We must educate you on the meaning of the words: photo-op.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote