cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #21
scottie

scottie is on a distinguished road

All-American posted a good article here in posts 11, 13-14 about LDS church finances with several tithing references:

http://cougarguard.com/forum/showthr...?t=9920&page=2

"[Heber J.] Grant was the most candid about his apostolic indebtedness: 'A president of the stake begged and pleaded with me to quit paying tithing. He said I did not owe any tithing until I got out of debt. '" -- BOOYAH!
scottie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:04 PM   #22
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Jay, why are you asking for someone to make a case? If you want to pay on your gross or net (taxable income or whatever), that is certainly your business. The church doesn't ask you to distinguish during your interviews. Not in my experience anyway.

People took the question much more seriously than I meant it.

But I actually would be curious if there are any TR recommend holding people here that pay on taxable income.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:34 PM   #23
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I actually would be curious if there are any TR recommend holding people here that pay on taxable income.
I know a TR holding person here in Memphis who owns his own company. All of his bills are paid through his company: his mortgage, everything. All that he earns goes into his company's portfolio. All of his travel expenses come out of petty cash.

Last month he told me that he technically has zero income, and pays zero tithing. Reminded me of the scenario of students eloping in Vegas for the weekend and annulling it on the way home, having not technically sinned under the "letter of the law."
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #24
CardiacCoug

CardiacCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I know a TR holding person here in Memphis who owns his own company. All of his bills are paid through his company: his mortgage, everything. All that he earns goes into his company's portfolio. All of his travel expenses come out of petty cash.

Last month he told me that he technically has zero income, and pays zero tithing. Reminded me of the scenario of students eloping in Vegas for the weekend and annulling it on the way home, having not technically sinned under the "letter of the law."
I "deduct" from my income some things that are required for me to do my job -- like my medical license, required board examinations, etc. that have cost me several thousand dollars in recent years. I don't view as an "increase" the money I have to put back into my job in order to work. I hope that's not controversial -- I don't think it should be. You can obviously take that rationalization pretty far, though. I don't "deduct" work-related car or gas expenses from my increase for tithing purposes even though I guess it could be rationalized.
CardiacCoug is offline   Reply With Quote