cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you found out that the Golden Plates never existed, would you still be a Mormon?
Yes, the literalness of Joseph Smith's claims don't matter to me. 4 14.29%
Yes, but it would change the way I view the Church. 9 32.14%
No, I couldn't accept the Church as true in such a scenario. 10 35.71%
I'm not a Mormon. 5 17.86%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-14-2007, 08:19 PM   #1
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Yeah, but the question wasn't, "would you still think the church is true", but "would you still be a Mormon?" It would be silly to use a phrase "the church is true" when you don't believe in the founding origins. A better question might be, "Is the church good?" or "Do I fit with this organization?" I know a lot of people who don't believe and still acknowledge the value of the church culturally, socially, and even spiritually, and want to participate. No mental gymnastics involved, just practical decision making.
Do you think it is really possible for The Church to make such an evolution, from a belief system to something akin to "a people?" It is an interesting thought, but I would think the central control over doctrine would make such an evolution impossible.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:28 PM   #2
Chapel-Hill-Coug

Chapel-Hill-Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Do you think it is really possible for The Church to make such an evolution, from a belief system to something akin to "a people?" It is an interesting thought, but I would think the central control over doctrine would make such an evolution impossible.
That's interesting, I'm not sure how to answer. I guess I think that Mormonism is maybe even more a practice than a belief system. I don't see the power in the doctrine as much as I see power in the reinforcement of the doctrine, which is done on a social and cultural level. But I think it all starts with practice. I don't know, that's subject to change, but that's how I envision it in my mind at this point in time. Perhaps a flesh of practice and skeleton of doctrine, I'm really not sure.

As for the early church, my take is that it was 99% about Gathering into the kingdom of God for the imminent coming of Jesus, reinforced by charismatic religious fervor rather than doctrine or any set of beliefs. It is from this charismatic sect that I see the evolution, with important points along the way being Brigham Young's leadership, geographic centralization in Utah, statehood for Utah, etc., all of which changed the focus and trajectory of the group quite a bit.
Chapel-Hill-Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #3
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapel-Hill-Coug View Post
Yeah, but the question wasn't, "would you still think the church is true", but "would you still be a Mormon?" It would be silly to use a phrase "the church is true" when you don't believe in the founding origins. A better question might be, "Is the church good?" or "Do I fit with this organization?" I know a lot of people who don't believe and still acknowledge the value of the church culturally, socially, and even spiritually, and want to participate. No mental gymnastics involved, just practical decision making.
Exactly. As I've said before, I am one of those persons. I think that the LDS Church has a particular role to play in the big scheme of dispersals (apostasies) and collections (restorations) of religious truth amongst humankind. I have faith, so to speak, that it is the part of the vineyard in which God would have me work. In that sense, the Church is the right framework for my spiritual development and has helped me immeasurably in my search for truth, knowledge, and a worthwhile life. It is a huge part of making me who I am--its fruits in my life are good, despite what reason tells me about its roots. But saying "the Church is true" in the conventional sense is kind of like saying "A reuben sandwich is true." The Church is an organization.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
But saying "the Church is true" in the conventional sense is kind of like saying "A reuben sandwich is true." It's an organization.
We're not going back to this conversation, are we? Was the Lord declaring the truth of a reuben sandwich in D&C 1?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 08:33 PM   #5
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
We're not going back to this conversation, are we? Was the Lord declaring the truth of a reuben sandwich in D&C 1?
I'm familiar with the D&C 1 passage. I understand it differently than you do. Don't let that stop you from trying to make me in your image, though.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

Old 09-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Tex

Quote:
I'm familiar with the D&C 1 passage. I understand it differently than you do. Don't let that stop you from trying to make me in your image, though.
Oh, stop with the drama already. I'm not trying to "make you" anything. The last time I asked you this question you also neglected to answer.

If you understand it differently, then out with it.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #7
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
Oh, stop with the drama already. I'm not trying to "make you" anything. The last time I asked you this question you also neglected to answer.

If you understand it differently, then out with it.
Swine...pearl.

My faith is not "drama."

And bullying even as you say you're not trying to make me into your image.

You're quite the piece of work.

Plenty of people have discussed this issue with me productively. Some of them post here. They know who they are.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:42 PM   #8
Tex

Quote:
Swine...pearl.

My faith is not "drama."

And bullying even as you say you're not trying to make me into your image.

You're quite the piece of work.

Plenty of people have discussed this issue with me productively. Some of them post here. They know who they are.
*Tex rolls his eyes.*

And thus we see, the church is true.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 09-14-2007, 08:45 PM   #9
Sleeping in EQ

Quote:
*Tex rolls his eyes.*

And thus we see, the church is true.
And the contemptuous follow up that is completely devoid of reason.

Yet another confirmation of Tex as a congenial, neighbor-loving, and sincere fellow.

And you wonder why some around here don't care for your manner.

Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

He asked you a legitimate question and you gave him a completely contemptable answer, then you have the gall to get huffy with his response to your contempt.

Beautiful.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote