cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2008, 08:50 PM   #21
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Wow. That's quite a talk.

She even worked in the "boiling frog" parable. (they should test this myth on mythbusters - that would be an awesome episode).
Here is my favorite:

Quote:
These past few weeks I've been shocked by all the low-rise jeans, short tops, and navels I have seen on campus. Ladies, your pants just barely cover the private areas of your bodies. They are so revealing. You can't tell me that girls who wear this type of clothing don't know what they are showing because they can see it when they look in the mirror.

For more than a year now, I've been so disappointed by all the tight-fitting, low-cut tops I've seen. I want you young women to know that you are revealing much more than you intend to. Some of the tops you wear show every bump and every curve on your breast. They fit you like a wet swimming suit with no padding, and they are showing every bit as much.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
I think it is inferred by some from this talk:

http://speeches.byu.edu/htmlfiles/Be...d_05_2005.html

It has the famous multiple earring example.

Also, some have cited this Ricks college address by his wife:

http://www.byui.edu/Presentations/Tr...ednarsusan.htm
I kind of chuckled imagining this RM telling Elder/Brother Bednar about why he had to reject this girlfriend.

Quote:
Sister Bednar and I are acquainted with a returned missionary who had dated a special young woman for a period of time. This young man cared for the young woman very much, and he was desirous of making his relationship with her more serious. He was considering and hoping for engagement and marriage. Now this relationship was developing during the time that President Hinckley counseled the Relief Society sisters and young women of the Church to wear only one earring in each ear.

The young man waited patiently over a period of time for the young woman to remove her extra earrings, but she did not take them out. This was a valuable piece of information for this young man, and he felt unsettled about her nonresponsiveness to a prophet’s pleading. For this and other reasons, he ultimately stopped dating the young woman, because he was looking for an eternal companion who had the courage to promptly and quietly obey the counsel of the prophet in all things and at all times. The young man was quick to observe that the young woman was not quick to observe.

Now before I continue, I presume that some of you might have difficulty with my last example. In fact, this particular illustration of the young man being quick to observe may even fan the flames of controversy on campus, resulting in letters of disagreement to the Daily Universe! You may believe the young man was too judgmental or that basing an eternally important decision, even in part, upon such a supposedly minor issue is silly or fanatical. Perhaps you are bothered because the example focuses upon a young woman who failed to respond to prophetic counsel instead of upon a young man. I simply invite you to consider and ponder the power of being quick to observe and what was actually observed in the case I just described. The issue was not earrings!
Wow, Sis. Bednar sounds like she has some spunk:

Quote:
Some of the tops you wear show every bump and every curve on your breast. They fit you like a wet swimming suit with no padding, and they are showing every bit as much.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 08:53 PM   #23
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Wow. That's quite a talk.

She even worked in the "boiling frog" parable. (they should test this myth on mythbusters - that would be an awesome episode).
You know I have always thought that story was bogus but I saw this on wikipedia the other day:

Quote:
The story's origins are rooted in nineteenth-century physiological literature. An article co-written by G. Stanley Hall from 1887 indicates that many experiments were performed on frogs in the 1870s and 1880s for the purposes of determining how reactive their nervous systems were to various types of stimuli, with temperature change being one of these.[8] One source from 1897 lists an experiment done in 1882 at Johns Hopkins as evidence that "a live frog can actually be boiled without a movement if the water is heated slowly enough; in one experiment the temperature was raised at a rate of 0.002°C. per second, and the frog was found dead at the end of 2½ hours without having moved."[9]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

Its wikipedia so discount appropriately but it does grant a glimmer of hope for the story.
Old 04-06-2008, 08:58 PM   #24
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You know I have always thought that story was bogus but I saw this on wikipedia the other day:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_frog

Its wikipedia so discount appropriately but it does grant a glimmer of hope for the story.
Penn State library's website just added Wikipedia to its list of Electronic Resources, between Wharton Research Data Services and Wildlife & Ecology Studies Worldwide. I will now go kill myself.

http://www.libraries.psu.edu/eres/wmllist.html
Old 04-06-2008, 09:04 PM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Bednar also spoke venerating the Honor Code at Rick's, incorrectly ascribing certain origins to it. He seems ultra mullahish on issues of culture.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:08 PM   #26
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Bednar also spoke venerating the Honor Code at Rick's, incorrectly ascribing certain origins to it. He seems ultra mullahish on issues of culture.
Are you thinking of this talk?

http://www.byui.edu/Presentations/Tr..._01_Bednar.htm

Quote:
My dear young brothers and sisters, the honor and dress codes are not obstacles designed by out-of-touch old people to hassle you during your time on the Ricks College campus. Rather, the honor code is a lesser law preparation to enter the house of the Lord and make sacred covenants, and the dress code is a lesser law preparation for how you will dress and should act after you have entered into those covenants. If you struggle at Ricks College to obey the lesser and preparatory guidelines contained in the honor and dress codes, then may I candidly suggest that you will not be prepared to make those covenants in the temple.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
One thing I have a tough time believing from that talk is the story of the Stake President's daughter who was rejected by Ricks despite being "very qualified academically".
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:36 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Whoa, if you want a beard in college, you will not be worthy to enter the temple?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

His mullahnish scares the heck out of me.

A man wearing a beard will not be worthy to enter the temple of the Lord often depicted as wearing a beard, especially if one attends a college bearing the name of the second prophet wearing a beard.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #30
pelagius

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
One thing I have a tough time believing from that talk is the story of the Stake President's daughter who was rejected by Ricks despite being "very qualified academically".
Wasn't there a couple year period in the mid 90s where Ricks admissions were essentially randomized? If you met the minimum standard then you were put in a pool and admission was based on a lottery. It was dropped fairly quickly but it could explain the story.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-06-2008 at 09:49 PM.