cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2008, 04:16 AM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

s
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
To even suggest that one must consult an insurance company before deciding to have a child is beyond offensive -and demonstrates the fundamentally flawed nature of the health care system in the states. I'm flabbergasted at the idiocy of your comments. You don't come across as harsh but rather as an imbecile. You claim to live in a society that values life and personal freedoms. Such an attitude is demonstrative of the abject immaturity and selfishness that is rampant in today’s world.
I think I understand your point of view. I am half suspicious that you are pulling my leg. I meet a lot of people who assume things about the contracts they are in and wind up disappointed. Until Utopia arrives, its a good idea to read your contracts.

Quote:
To further elaborate insurance coverage was the very first thing we looked into ... it of course required a significant increase in monthly payments -more than the cost to insure the child AFTER he/she was born And yes we looked at MANY different insurance companies and options!
I wonder if that is because child birth is a fairly high risk event where as insuring a healthy infant is not. Just a thought.

Last edited by UtahDan; 01-18-2008 at 04:20 AM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:19 AM   #22
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
And let's consider Doctors and their loans ... MRD loves to highlight his notion of government telling doctors what to charge etc. There are ceilings on costs, but not on the numbers of patients you can see.

It is also important to note that the government helps pay for Doctors education to minimize the debt. Doctors in Canada don't pay the government back and they have absolute freedom to specialize and move or work where ever they want!
Hard to account for why American Dr's aren't lining up to go to school and practice in Canada.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:20 AM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I was talking to my brother-in-law who went to a very famous med school about debt.

He said that he was only in a little bit of debt. I asked how much. He said 100,000+.

That's what it's come to.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #24
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
s

I think I understand your point of view. I am half suspicious that you are pulling my leg. I meet a lot of people who assume things about the contracts they are in and wind up disappointed. Until Utopia arrives, its a good idea to read your contracts.

I wonder if that is because child birth is a fairly high risk event where as insuring a healthy infant is not. Just a thought.
My intent is to give a voice to my outrage. I am not pulling your leg and apologize for my harsh words. My wife and I carefully considered all of our options before trying to have a child. I am not embelishing in any way.

Ultimately I chose to go to school in Canada instead of the states. If I had chosen to go to school in the states, my wife would've gone home to Canada to have the child and then returned to the states.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #25
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Hard to account for why American Dr's aren't lining up to go to school and practice in Canada.
Canadian med schools reserve places for Canadian citizens. Interestingly enough a common tactic of US HMO's is to recruit heavily in Canada because an emphasis is placed on training general practitioners.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:35 AM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

we actually have Americans that go to med school in Mexico, Carribean, and even India, with the intention of returning to the USA for residency, because they couldn't get into American schools. I had 3 coworkers who did exactly this.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 12:37 PM   #27
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
And let's consider Doctors and their loans ... MRD loves to highlight his notion of government telling doctors what to charge etc. There are ceilings on costs, but not on the numbers of patients you can see.
That's a great way to look at things... Just push through as many people as you can its the only way you can get paid what you are worth... I'm sure the quality of care is superb. Makes me want to up and move to Canada. Do you not remember your time in socialized france where the Doc thought your appendecitis was a stomach ache? Why did he think that? Because he probably saw 100 other people that day with stomach aches and just wanted to go home.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:39 PM   #28
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I was talking to my brother-in-law who went to a very famous med school about debt.

He said that he was only in a little bit of debt. I asked how much. He said 100,000+.

That's what it's come to.
I'm willing to bet he makes at least 400k a year... 100k at 3% in debt is manageable when you are making 4 times that a year
Old 01-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #29
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
Canadian med schools reserve places for Canadian citizens. Interestingly enough a common tactic of US HMO's is to recruit heavily in Canada because an emphasis is placed on training general practitioners.
I live really close to Canada and have worked in two health systems and have NEVER met a canadian trained doctor
Old 01-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #30
Mormon Red Death

Quote:
s

He's not pulling your leg he just doesnt understand the American system.