cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2008, 08:18 PM   #21
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default You asked what impact a president has on abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
The per-female-capita rate of abortion in this country has declined every year since 1989, with the steepest rates of decline during the double Dem tenure of Bill's first administration, and the rate over the last twelve years unchanged regardless of which party held the Oval Office or the legislative majority.

exUte, I got lost somewhere around "adulterous affair."
He should be a role model and moral leader. Just pointing out what the President's behavior has on the moral fibre of the citizenry. Big determinant.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #22
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The per-female-capita rate of abortion in this country has declined every year since 1989, with the steepest rates of decline during the double Dem tenure of Bill's first administration, and the rate over the last twelve years unchanged regardless of which party held the Oval Office or the legislative majority.

If this is supposed to demonstrate that the man in office has no influence or impact on the issue, you lost me. There are lots of forces in play at the issue, and the President is just one (although powerful and important).

That abortions fell during the Clinton administration may reflect public awareness and other efforts, such as two failed Republican attempts (vetoed by Clinton) in the late 90's to restrict partial-birth abortions. Who knows but that a pro-life President would've brought the numbers even lower.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
exUte

Default Do you favor abortion if the baby is determined

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
So "health of the mother" is limited to her physical health? Or are you including emotional health here?
to be of the wrong gender than what the mother wanted? Say she wanted a boy and she found out it was a girl and thus didn't want a girl. It was causing her to be very discouraged.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #24
exUte

Default Hey Barb, do you favor paritial birth abortions?

Quote:

In case you forgot what they involve, here's a link:

http://www.nrlc.org/ABORTION/pba/diagram.html

And Bill Clinton vetoed the outlaw of this procedure. Diety must really enjoy the destruction of human life in this manner. RedHeadGal can chime in as well.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #25
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Hey Barb, do you favor paritial birth abortions? RedHeadGal can chime in as well.
I'm a big fan of abortion all the way around. What's not to love? Excellent population control mechanism. Plus, it's more prevalent among the lower classes so you keep down the numbers of the riff-raff...makes for fewer poor kids to grow up and vote democrat.

Last edited by BarbaraGordon; 09-03-2008 at 08:35 PM. Reason: typo
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:34 PM   #26
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
If this is supposed to demonstrate that the man in office has no influence or impact on the issue, you lost me. There are lots of forces in play at the issue, and the President is just one (although powerful and important).

That abortions fell during the Clinton administration may reflect public awareness and other efforts, such as two failed Republican attempts (vetoed by Clinton) in the late 90's to restrict partial-birth abortions. Who knows but that a pro-life President would've brought the numbers even lower.
It was meant to show that in two decades, AFAICT, there's been no correlation between who's in power (legislatively or executively) and the number of abortions in this country. Now, you bring up the question of causation. I'm actually very curious as to why we saw a steeper decline in the early-mid nineties. I've poked around and can't find any explanation.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #27
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Of course abortion is promoted. For years if not decades, abstinence and adoption have been ridiculed by the Left--in particular the radical feminist movement--as viable alternatives. Legislation enacted merely to inform women on the option of adoption has been fought tooth and nail. Efforts to curtail abortion in any degree, such as late-term and partial-birth abortions, have been demonized and opposed.

The use of the term "rare" in the cliche "safe, legal, and rare" may be the largest lie in the Democrat platform.

Because abortion is no longer (if it ever was) a yes-we-have-it/no-we-don't Roe v. Wade decision.
Don't be silly, Tex. We are talking about the mainstream Democratic Party position, not the position of some extremists within the party. Your dishonesty on this topic is par for the course. How about the efforts of many conservatives to prevent sex education or the availability of birth control/contraceptives? Were THEY promoting abortion too by their actions? Give me a break.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #28
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I'm a big fan of abortion all the way around. What's not to love? Excellent population control mechanism. Plus, it's more prevalent among the lower classes so you keep down the numbers of the riff-raff...makes for fewer poor kids to grow up and vote democrat.
I wish there were more abortion clinics in malls and other convenient places.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #29
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I wish there were more abortion clinics in malls and other convenient places.
Wal-mart. We want to aim for the target demographic.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #30
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It was meant to show that in two decades, AFAICT, there's been no correlation between who's in power (legislatively or executively) and the number of abortions in this country.
I know what it was meant to show. It is, as I said, an oversimplification.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote