cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2008, 10:02 PM   #21
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He invited me to come and have breakfast with him and others from CB. Told me FMCoug would be there (who never showed up). It was entertaining and I'm glad I went.
Why would FM go to an MLM seminar? He doesnt need the cash. Or want it so desperately......

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:03 PM   #22
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Actually, with the inclusion of the 2 other posts mike linked, you have read the extent of my knowledge on those topic. I am obsessed!

I just thought of more interests that I have: surfing, food, travel, skiing, sports. I am becoming less of a nitwit with each passing moment. It feels good to be so free, amongst all the ice and snow.
You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have...
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #23
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I was just trying to make Mike leave the party. Please don't be offended if I don't read your posts.
cr33k, i try never take offense. In fairness, i wouldnt read most of my posts, either.

Also, without mike, there wouldnt be much of a party, at least not for me. that is the honest truth.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-25-2008, 10:04 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have...
Nice avatar. I loved Groin Pains.

Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Here is an article in the latest BYU Today about materialism:

http://magazine.byu.edu/?act=view&a=2165
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:39 AM   #26
TripletDaddy

Good article. A bit ironic that you of all people are quoting BYU magazine to substantiate your position, but since it is another meatball over the plate, did you happen to check out the 5 ways to combat materialism?

5. Do I value and judge people based on material distinctions? ... “Do you attribute characteristics to people when you know nothing more than their material status?”

Also, how is that new rifle you just bought? With your gun hobby, digital photography, windsurfing, fishing, and cycling, it is a wonder you have any free time at all.

Let me know when you want to go car shopping.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:28 AM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's a doc in Redding who did it the way I'd like to do it had I been born with his brains and talents. He was taking what he felt was too much call at Mercy (at the time there were only a couple neurosurgeons in town) and slowed way down, they didn't like it and fired him. Instead of jumping back on the treadmill, he started his own hospital here in town. Great story.

http://www.redding.com/news/2008/jan/25/like-son/
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 05:04 AM   #28
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't claim to be free from the draw of materialism. I feel the pull just like most.

But now I've reached a point where I am really starting to question the tenets of modern American life. What has meaning? And what has no meaning? I want to surround myself with meaning, and distance myself from those that would suck meaning out of the air like human drainpipes.

Human drainpipe. Maybe that's better than superficial nitwit.
Do you ever wonder if you don't judge too harshly and condemn too quickly? Seems to me most folks are on their own individual paths toward this thing you call "meaning". No doubt others would judge your path equally unworthy.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote