cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #21
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsupial View Post
I agree. How do you define feminism? I believe in many ideals that would probably be considered feminist, particularly in the Church, but it's all relative. Julie Beck would probably consider me a feminist, Betty Friedan probably not.
I'm saying that active Mormon women are unworthy of the title "feminist" unless they speak up (at least among friends or online). The specific definition of feminist is not relevant here, except to say that a feminist must have the courage to speak out. I don't think this is an unfair requirement if someone wants that title.

Feministmormonhousewives.org is full of women with no courage to attack patriarchy, IMO. For them, feminism is discussing the misery associated with poopy diapers.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:11 PM   #22
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudphudCoug View Post
I'm saying that active Mormon women are unworthy of the title "feminist" unless they speak up (at least among friends or online). The specific definition of feminist is not relevant here, except to say that a feminist must have the courage to speak out. I don't think this is an unfair requirement if someone wants that title.

Feministmormonhousewives.org is full of women with no courage to attack patriarchy, IMO. For them, feminism is discussing the misery associated with poopy diapers.
you are ignorant.

Quote:
The problem of women
Not everyone shared that positive view of Romney. Though somewhat progressive in his approach, Romney was still a product of LDS male culture of the time. He didn't initially believe, for example, that there were any cases of physical or sexual abuse of women in the stake, though plenty of evidence pointed to it.
"He's not a people person," says Nancy Dredge, "he's so much an organization man."
Yet, Dredge says, she's seen him learn from his mistakes. "He's in a much better place than he was 20 years ago."
While a young bishop, for example, Romney got word that a woman in his ward was considering an abortion. This was the sixth pregnancy for the woman in her 40s, who had four teenage children, and she developed some medical complications.
Romney arrived at the hospital and forcefully counseled her against the procedure. She felt Romney misunderstood and mistreated her. The woman later wrote about the experience in Exponent II, a national newspaper for Mormon women that was published in Romney's Boston stake. Though she didn't use her name, many church members knew who she was.
The episode came back to haunt Romney when he ran for Massachusetts governor in 1994 as a "pro-choice" candidate. It also reflected some of the ongoing tensions he had with some Exponent II writers during his tenure.
Regardless, Mormon women in Boston still talk about an extraordinary 1993 meeting Romney called to address the women of the stake.
More than 250 members poured into the Belmont chapel. One by one they called out their issues while he stood at the front with three pads labeled: policies we can't change, practices we can change, and things we can consider.
Nearly 100 proposals were made that day, including having female leaders give talks in various wards as the men on the high council do; letting women speak last in church; turning the chapels into day-care centers during the week; letting women stand in the circle while blessing newborn babies; recognizing the accomplishment of young women as the church does of Boy Scout advancements; and putting changing tables in the men's rooms.
Many women left with a new appreciation of Romney's openness.
He was "so brave," says Robin Baker, who has worked on Exponent II.
Sievers, who worked with Romney to set up the meeting, was ecstatic.
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_7943560

However 2008 is different than 1993. I fear that Mitt would be considered a rogue stake president in today's time, and would be asked to see that heads roll in his stake.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:13 PM   #23
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm saying that the active Mormon women are unworthy of the title "feminist" unless they speak up (at least among friends or online). The specific definition of feminist is not irrelevant here, except to say that a feminist must have the courage to speak out. I don't think this is an unfair requirement for the title.

Feministmormonhousewives.org is full of women with no courage to attack patriarchy, IMO. For them, feminism is discussing the pains of poopy diapers.
That's a narrow view of feminism, only the strident, obnoxious kind. Making good arguments in a palatable way is probably more effective feminism.

Are you defining feminism in a political sense only?
Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you are ignorant.

However 2008 is different than 1993. I fear that Mitt would be considered a rogue stake president in today's time, and would be asked to see that heads roll in his stake.
I wish more stake presidents were like this, and I wish more stakes had an Exponent II.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #25
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
you are ignorant.

So this means that the LDS Church isn't oppressive of women? You're so ingnernt.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:16 PM   #26
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
you are ignorant.
Wait a minute. I said: "Active Mormon women are unworthy of the title 'feminist' unless they speak up (at least among friends or online)."

How is that opinion ignorant?

There are tons of Mormon women who call themselves feminists who don't have the courage to speak up.

I am not saying that individual Mormon women or groups have never spoken up. I'm saying that they are rare, and that most self-proclaimed "Mormon feminists" don't have the courage to speak up.

And since when is Boston representative of all the online self-proclaimed Mormon feminists? I'm using words like "most" and Boston is not most.

Last edited by SoonerCoug; 04-28-2008 at 09:20 PM.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:17 PM   #27
SeattleUte

Why isn't Ms. Beck's conference talk conclusive of Sooner's point? Case closed. The Mormon Church is sexist, and feminists are by definition apostates. See Ms. Beck's speech. This doesn't deserve such a long thread.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I just gave you an example of women speaking up.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 PM   #29
SeattleUte

Quote:
Wait a minute. I said: "Active Mormon women are unworthy of the title 'feminist' unless they speak up (at least among friends or online)."

How is that opinion ignorant?

There are tons of Mormon women who call themselves feminists who don't have the courage to speak up.

I am not saying that individual Mormon women or groups have never spoken up. I'm saying that they are rare, and that most self-proclaimed "Mormon feminists" don't have the courage to speak up.
Don't sweat it. He's just throwing caca against the wall and seeing what will stick. He knows you're right.

—Paul Auster
Old 04-28-2008, 09:36 PM   #30
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

First off, let's agree that we don't have to agree that being a "feminist" is something of value to strive for. It is one of those choices one might make, but not a good or bad choice.
Active LDS women have made the choice not to be feminists or to at least not openly act like one.

That being said, they should accept who and what they are and not pretend to be something they aren't. Feminist mormon housewives as an internet site is laughable, at least how I define a feminist.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote