cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2008, 04:25 AM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I actually think we give Harvey 15-20 carries in the first half if we are moving the chains and it is working. Especially against a team where we can not stop their offense. 2.9 ypc says it was not working as effectively as it could have been so I am not that disappointed we abandoned it.
In the first half, Unga carried the ball 10 times for 30 yards, a 3.0 ypc average. 3.0 ypc isn't great, but you only need 3.3 ypc to be unstoppable (if you can do it consistently), and in general it is safer than throwing the ball, particularly with an erratic QB. In the first half, Hall dropped back to pass 27 times. Of those 27 times, he was sacked 4 times for losses and threw an interception once (and had another easy pick 6 dropped). He completed 13-23 on his passes in the first half (56%). He threw for 27 yards (about 5 ypc if you only include the times Hall got the pass off, about 4.3 ypc if you include every time he dropped back to pass). Hall had a very bad game, and an extremely bad first half. It isn't irrational to go more to the run in that situation, and Anae probably should have.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 05:52 PM   #22
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Did I dodge your question, or simply follow up with the same logic you attempted to get away with in your post?

BYU's strength is passing the ball, not running it. We were 62nd in the nation in yards per carry BEFORE the TCU game (we're only 83rd in the nation in yards per carry now -- at 3.71 ypc), and that is going against a very sorry assortment of defenses and it essentially had zero sack yards factored in there which can sometimes understate yards per carry.

TCU was and is #1 in the nation in run defense.

How delusional do you have to be to think in the face of a 25 point defeat that running the ball a few more times would have made a material difference; particularly against a run defense the stature of TCU's?

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.js...shdef&site=org

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2008/Intern...98teamdef.html
The only delusional poster is the one who refuses to acknowledge that BYU's --not inability-- unwillingness to run the football was perhaps the biggest factor in the TCU loss. If one team controls the time of possession then the other teams offense never sees the field

You continue to turn to stats as if it is somehow is going to miraculously win the argument just like you have always done in regards to Crowton. Maybe you should not follow BYU's lead and make some adjustments to your gameplan!

How highly was BYU's passing game ranked? What great running teams did TCU face before BYU?

Last edited by tooblue; 10-23-2008 at 08:10 PM.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:55 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
The only delusional poster is the one who refuses to acknowledge that BYU's --not inability-- unwillingness to run the football was perhaps the biggest factor in the TCU loss. If one team controls the time of possession then the other teams offense never sees the field

You continue to turn to stats as if it is somehow is going to miraculously win the argument just like you have always done in regards to Crowton. Maybe you should not follow BYU's lead and make some adjustments to your gameplan!

How highly was BYU's passing game ranked? What great running teams did TCU face before BYU?
BYU is not the best running team TCU has faced this year. Unwillingness to run? BYU ran the ball 9 of the first 20 plays -- for a grand total of 14 yards.

There is no solid basis based on the each team's prior 6 games, nor the events as they unfolded during the game, to believe that running the ball more would have very effective or have a serious impact on the game.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:39 AM   #24
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
BYU is not the best running team TCU has faced this year. Unwillingness to run? BYU ran the ball 9 of the first 20 plays -- for a grand total of 14 yards.

There is no solid basis based on the each team's prior 6 games, nor the events as they unfolded during the game, to believe that running the ball more would have very effective or have a serious impact on the game.
Three of those first 20 lead to a first down! Maybe, just maybe the rest were ineffective because of a scheme by TCU. What do you think Patterson saw in film of BYU that lead him to put that scheme in place ... where the d-backs sat on the seam routes?

The fact Hall has been locked in on a receiver and forcing the ball into double coverage since the first game and getting away with it because of inferior competition? You mean to tell me that Patterson could see this on film but Anae couldn't?

You mean to tell me that you couldn't see this against USU?

Holy cow Indy -- seriously!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 AM   #25
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:

Are you counting Hall's sack which cost 9 yards? Fui also had a few ineffective carries early also. Unga was carrying the ball decently in the first quarter.

How can you say running the ball anymore doesn't have a serious impact on the game? Hall was having trouble completing passes. He fumbled on that sack and threw a pick. 2 TO's that led to 14 points in the first 20 offensive plays. Unga deserved more carries. BYU should have ran some counters and screens. Anae has called two crappy games in a row.

I do believe that TCU is a more talented and just plain better football team than BYU. But BYU is much better than they showed and should not have lost in the fashion that they did.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:54 AM   #26
Indy Coug

No, I clearly saw Hall having problems before the TCU game, but I also saw the running game struggling too. Unga only had 4 yards per carry against USU in 22 carries? USU is ranked in the 100s in rushing defense.

Of the top 100 rushers nationally, Unga is only 87th in yards per carry (4.47 ypc).

Let's quantify this: how many more times should BYU have run the ball before the game was 26-0?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:55 AM   #27
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
Are you counting Hall's sack which cost 9 yards? Fui also had a few ineffective carries early also. Unga was carrying the ball decently in the first quarter.

How can you say running the ball anymore doesn't have a serious impact on the game? Hall was having trouble completing passes. He fumbled on that sack and threw a pick. 2 TO's that led to 14 points in the first 20 offensive plays. Unga deserved more carries. BYU should have ran some counters and screens. Anae has called two crappy games in a row.

I do believe that TCU is a more talented and just plain better football team than BYU. But BYU is much better than they showed and should not have lost in the fashion that they did.
I didn't count Hall's sacks. If you want to make the argument that running the ball more would have kept the margin smaller than 25 points, I'm not going to fight you on that. If you want to claim the BYU would have won if they had simply run the ball more, then I'm going to say you are snorting way too much cocaine.

I'm not particularly interested in moral victories against lower ranked teams, so losing by 25 instead of 11 isn't of much value.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:56 AM   #28
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
No, I clearly saw Hall having problems before the TCU game, but I also saw the running game struggling too. Unga only had 4 yards per carry against USU in 22 carries? USU is ranked in the 100s in rushing defense.

Of the top 100 rushers nationally, Unga is only 87th in yards per carry (4.47 ypc).

Let's quantify this: how many more times should BYU have run the ball before the game was 26-0?
The game sucked from the beginning and Fui fumbling it didn't help. The team did not combat the speed of TCU, the emotion and focus of BYU and Hall had a horrific game resorting to some problems he exhibited last year. He locked in onto receivers without reading the field. On one of his interceptions if he had looked left he would have had a nice completion.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:59 AM   #29
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
The game sucked from the beginning and Fui fumbling it didn't help. The team did not combat the speed of TCU, the emotion and focus of BYU and Hall had a horrific game resorting to some problems he exhibited last year. He locked in onto receivers without reading the field. On one of his interceptions if he had looked left he would have had a nice completion.
BTW, I was being called a Negative Nellie on CB because I was pointing out all the problems with BYU's recent performances and how they didn't match up well against TCU. I wasn't surprised they lost, although I didn't expect them to lose by 25.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #30
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
BTW, I was being called a Negative Nellie on CB because I was pointing out all the problems with BYU's recent performances and how they didn't match up well against TCU. I wasn't surprised they lost, although I didn't expect them to lose by 25.
USU and UNM got me worried but I couldn't believe we could play that badly.

I thought we wouldn't turn the ball over that much and we would score consistently.

Right now I don't know if Hall can get his mindset back.