cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2008, 04:09 AM   #21
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Equality Utah is taking some of the words used by church officials in an attempt to get church support for a Gay Bill of Rights. This one will be fun to watch.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10949324
Yes, brilliant play by the gay-rights community in Utah. Also that a Seventy said the church was ok with civil unions is news to me, I will have to try and find the source.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 04:44 AM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Equality Utah is taking some of the words used by church officials in an attempt to get church support for a Gay Bill of Rights. This one will be fun to watch.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_10949324
That's brilliant.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:47 AM   #23
MikeWaters
Demiurge

My guess: the church doesn't actually *support* those things. It's more like "willing to tolerate" or "won't organize opposition to."

I would be surprised if the church does anything substantial to help along the aims of this group. If the church assigned a GA to see it passed and read statetments from the FP in its support--well, I guess anything can happen.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:51 AM   #24
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
My guess: the church doesn't actually *support* those things. It's more like "willing to tolerate" or "won't organize opposition to."

I would be surprised if the church does anything substantial to help along the aims of this group. If the church assigned a GA to see it passed and read statetments from the FP in its support--well, I guess anything can happen.
You never know. Maybe they will be dying to get some good publicity after all the negative fallout.

I am skeptical too, but it's a good tactical move. Put your money where your mouth is.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:56 AM   #25
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
You never know. Maybe they will be dying to get some good publicity after all the negative fallout.

I am skeptical too, but it's a good tactical move. Put your money where your mouth is.
Am I naive to think it unlikely the church will support an effort to overturn part of Prop 2, which the church backed in the first place?

I also don't think it is true that the church supports civil unions, as suggested by the article. I'm thinking that Seventy is getting an earful right now.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:08 AM   #26
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Yes, brilliant play by the gay-rights community in Utah. Also that a Seventy said the church was ok with civil unions is news to me, I will have to try and find the source.
This is the closest I have found:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...6/ai_n30971946
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #27
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Quote:
Am I naive to think it unlikely the church will support an effort to overturn part of Prop 2, which the church backed in the first place?

I also don't think it is true that the church supports civil unions, as suggested by the article. I'm thinking that Seventy is getting an earful right now.
Yes, but it will be fascinating to watch if this gets some legs. The Utah Eagle Forum and the far right wing of the Utah Legislature (i.e. 90% of the Republicans) have fought against gay rights tooth and nail. It would be fun to watch them back track.
Old 11-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Quote:
He said in general, the church "does not oppose civil unions or domestic partnerships," that involve benefits like health insurance and property rights. That stand was outlined in a statement the church posted on its Web site earlier in the campaign.
This fits with my understanding of the church's position: an ill-definied "civil union-lite."