cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 11:25 PM   #21
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
What are the chances that a Renaissance of Islam could happen here in the US? I know of a convert to Islam (woman living here in Dallas) who says that the true and peaceful spirit of the religion can only be lived out here in America. She says it is the culture of the Middle East that warps Islam.

Sort of what Utah does to Mormonism.

Last edited by UtahDan; 06-19-2007 at 11:27 PM.
UtahDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:10 AM   #22
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Sort of what Utah does to Mormonism.
LOL! Now that's funny.
FMCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:50 AM   #23
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
So, Mindful, to what do you attribute the growth of the violent factions of Islam?

Is it inherent in the religion itself? The product of its socio-political environment? Just the result of a few really bad guys?
If I saw this question on a quiz I would complain about there not being a "D) all of the above" answer. Of course, trying to identify where the percentages break down (i.e. 30% bad guys, 50% religion, 20% socio-political) would be an exceeding difficult task.

Cause and effect is such a difficult thing to determine on a global/macro/society-wide level. I just finished reading War and Peace where Tolstoy discusses why he thinks historians use an incorrect methodology when determining/discussing the cause of the Napoleonic wars. Trying to determine the cause of violent factions in Islam seems similar to trying to determine the cause of the Napoleonic wars. Tolstoy had very interesting theories about why stuff happened - the collective sum of millions of peoples actions that became so great that notable individuals (i.e. leaders of countries, specific bad guys, etc.) really had no choice but to act how they did - that notable individuals were pushed along by the momentum of a million different circumstances. Anyway, just a thought I had...
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
If I saw this question on a quiz I would complain about there not being a "D) all of the above" answer. Of course, trying to identify where the percentages break down (i.e. 30% bad guys, 50% religion, 20% socio-political) would be an exceeding difficult task.

Cause and effect is such a difficult thing to determine on a global/macro/society-wide level. I just finished reading War and Peace where Tolstoy discusses why he thinks historians use an incorrect methodology when determining/discussing the cause of the Napoleonic wars. Trying to determine the cause of violent factions in Islam seems similar to trying to determine the cause of the Napoleonic wars. Tolstoy had very interesting theories about why stuff happened - the collective sum of millions of peoples actions that became so great that notable individuals (i.e. leaders of countries, specific bad guys, etc.) really had no choice but to act how they did - that notable individuals were pushed along by the momentum of a million different circumstances. Anyway, just a thought I had...
Once historians get into the business of identifying cause and effect, it seems they are on thin ice.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:39 AM   #25
Mindfulcoug

Mindfulcoug is on a distinguished road

As far as i know the vast majority of muslim people and the most prominent of muslim leaders have no conflict of living with eachother in peace..so now it wouldnot be very difficult to realise who are really the "BAD GUYS" and how they get support ,gun and money and why.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:56 AM   #26
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
As far as i know the vast majority of muslim people and the most prominent of muslim leaders have no conflict of living with eachother in peace..so now it wouldnot be very difficult to realise who are really the "BAD GUYS" and how they get support ,gun and money and why.
Interestingly, the most peaceful Muslim nations are NOT in the Middle East, you guessed it, Indonesia and Malaysia.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #27
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Interestingly, the most peaceful Muslim nations are NOT in the Middle East, you guessed it, Indonesia and Malaysia.
Indonesia is peaceful? I know of a few East Timoreans who might argue with that.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #28
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Indonesia is peaceful? I know of a few East Timoreans who might argue with that.
Compare it to Lebanon, Jordan, or Iraq.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:15 AM   #29
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
thats becuase no western country has invaded them?? or ..
Old 06-20-2007, 07:16 AM   #30
Mindfulcoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfulcoug View Post
thats becuase no western country has invaded them?? or ..
or no occupation plan has been plotted??