cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2007, 03:21 PM   #21
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
In the grand scheme of things, people ultimately shoulder the consequences for being offended or being driven off. So what.

However, instead of tackling ticklish issues in a manner that is likely to offend the disaffected, I believe another approach is in order. Apparently you do not.
I believe in accountabilty especially from church members -all church members. Our approaches are so different.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:23 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
I believe in accountabilty especially from church members -all church members. Our approaches are so different.
Accountability will always be there. Another word for accountability is Justice.

Mercy is what I hope all people receive. They won't but that won't stop me hoping.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:24 PM   #23
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
In the grand scheme of things, people ultimately shoulder the consequences for being offended or being driven off. So what.

However, instead of tackling ticklish issues in a manner that is likely to offend the disaffected, I believe another approach is in order. Apparently you do not.
At some point, an inordinate amount of care given to avoid offending, driving wedges, alienating, disenfranchising, stiff-arming, isolating, and so forth of others leads to a message so watered down as to render it completely spiritually impotent.

In general, I feel General Conference already shows too much deference in this direction.

The purpose of General Conference is for the leaders of the church to collectively impart to us the mind and will of the Lord. It's up to us whether or not we want to follow their counsel or not.

There are things talked about that I haven't and probably won't follow, some for which I might think are good reasons and some for no real good reason, but I'm not going to blame the church for being too unreasonable or divisive about it.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:26 PM   #24
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
The purpose of General Conference is for the leaders of the church to collectively impart to us the mind and will of the Lord. It's up to us whether or not we want to follow their counsel or not.
I differ in its purpose.

Its purpose is for leaders, through their stewardships, to impart counsel which may or may not apply depending upon our stage of life. If the Spirit imparts that it applies then we should act.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:28 PM   #25
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Nope. I've got things to do today. That is what my brevity underlines.

I was nice yesterday when you were less than gentlemanly with my wife.

Today, I'm telling you to take a hike.

Please let me know if this little "talk" has affected you.
I was honest. And your wife does not receive a pass when she was less than lady like -I'm not the only one here who was bothered by her behavior.

No, I'm not offended. No, I'm not walking away. It's good to have things to do.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Ironically, tooblue, you left this community because you felt.....what is the right word, offended? angry? unappreciated?

So that must give you some insight in how the actions of others could make someone not inclined to stick around.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #27
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
This quaint belief is not supported by current scientific evidence. And btw, my wife has not worked outside the home for a long fricking time. And if she can live off me, she won't for a lot longer.
I thought this subject was a long way from being decided scientifically with as many opinions and debates as for example the cause of the core temperature of earth rising. Is there conclusive acceptance by the scientific community that children are not benefitted by their primary caregiver being a parent?

Personally, I am convinced intuitively that I or my wife care about my kids more than anyone else. I cannot fathom how somebody else could be more effective at teaching them the values we hold dear than us. In fact I am not sure how a study could quantify that success.

I am, admittedly, very old fashioned. Can I be that way and still want the Church to be honest about its own history? I wanna keep my feet in the mullah section on this position.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #28
Requiem

Requiem is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Can I believe that today's social and cultural contructs have as much of an impact on how young LDS women are frustrated by this position as the position itself?

I honestly want to understand what bothers our younger LDS women about this position. My wife and community are not representative as the women out here still can, quilt, stay at home with large famalies and are barely literate.
You ask good questions. I will add a brief response using only my limited perspective. There is a not so subtle distinction made in the church between motherhood and the "rest of us". Motherhood is held as the divine ideal and that is not offensive. However, the ever increasing number of single women without children in the church also need to hear that we have divine worth. It is difficult to articulate the emotions; suffice to say I find many men who are priesthood leaders to be coldly detached and insensitive to this issue.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #29
tooblue

Quote:
Accountability will always be there. Another word for accountability is Justice.

Mercy is what I hope all people receive. They won't but that won't stop me hoping.
I meant to say NOT so different.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:33 PM   #30
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post
Well said.
Yah, what he said