cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2007, 03:23 PM   #21
Colly Wolly

Colly Wolly is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
I'm sorry that movies by the Coen brothers require some degree of intelligence to actually get. It is not a reason to lash out at those who actually understand something about filmmaking and can spot the things that make the movies great.
Is it intelligence, or just a strange sense of humor that is required? The fact that several Ute fans/grads on this board have expressed their love for these movies leads me to believe that intelligence has nothing to do with it.
Colly Wolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 03:44 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
Is it intelligence, or just a strange sense of humor that is required? The fact that several Ute fans/grads on this board have expressed their love for these movies leads me to believe that intelligence has nothing to do with it.

You may be right. They tend to be rather quirky. My wife is not a big fan of the movies although she is certainly intelligent.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #23
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
The movies aren't good because they are odd and bizarre, they are good because the movies are well made. The dialog in Coen brother's movies is always fantastic. The cinematography is great, the direction is great. The Coen brothers are quite possibly the best movie makers out there right now.

Fargo is a fantastic movie. I rank the Coen Brothers movies as follows:

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Fargo
3. Raising Arizona
4. Blood Simple
5. Miller's Crossing
6. O Brother Where Art Thou
7. Barton Fink
8. The Hudsucker Proxy
9. Intolerable Cruelty
10. The Man Who Wasn't There
11. The Lady Killers

Really excited to see No Country for Old Men.

Enjoy your Andy Sandler movies Rocky, I'll take something well made instead.
Amen, Funk. Other than a slight re-ordering (I would put "O Brother" at #3, and swap Lady Killers with Barton Fink), I agree on all counts.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 PM   #24
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colly Wolly View Post
I guess I should clarify. Several intelligent people do not enjoy the Coen brothers movies. I should have been clearer and stated that Rocky is the type that lacks the mental capacity to enjoy the Coen brothers movies.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #25
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I can't rank them because there are some I really have liked a lot such as Blood Simple and Fargo, and some I haven't liked at all like Barton Fink and Miller's Crossing. Generally, I think they do film noir better than comedy. Blood Simple may be my favorite but I haven't seen No Country for Old Men and I understand it's a return to the Blood Simple style and ethos. I haven't seen the ones at the end of Funk's list but I've read critics say they're unwatchable.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote