cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2007, 11:39 PM   #21
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Here is my measuring stick:

Does n make me a happier, better person?

If not, don't do it.

If so, go ahead.

Perhaps it is overly simplistic, but I have found it a remarkably useful test for whether or not something is worth my time.
Old 12-08-2007, 11:42 PM   #22
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by All-American View Post

If not, don't do it.

If so, go ahead.

Perhaps it is overly simplistic, but I have found it a remarkably useful test for whether or not something is worth my time.
I have a couple of measuring sticks.

One: what are the pros, what are the cons? if the pros outweigh the cons, I do it, some of the time.

Another: what do I want to do, and who's watching. Then I do it.

That probably makes me a simpleton.
Old 12-09-2007, 12:40 AM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
That probably makes me a simpleton.
You may be the Mayor of Simpleton, but I know one thing...and that's "I love you."

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:25 AM   #24
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post

When I watch a rated R movie, I know it's a sin. \.
Statements like this are what drive me nuts about some people in our Church.
I didn't know the MPAA were commissioned by God to rate movies based on sin or non-sin.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:27 AM   #25
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:

If not, don't do it.

If so, go ahead.

Happier AND better? How does watching a football game make you a better person? How does watching an episode of your favorite TV show make you a better person? If I only did things that made me a better person, life would suck.
Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #26
All-American

All-American is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to All-American

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
Happier AND better? How does watching a football game make you a better person? How does watching an episode of your favorite TV show make you a better person? If I only did things that made me a better person, life would suck.
There's a place in life for entertainment and leisure time. They help you get through bad days and give you one more reason to believe that life is pretty darn good. Football, or an episode of my favorite TV show, is not an exemption to the rule.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:50 PM   #27
Refugee

Refugee is on a distinguished road

OK BDB, you're treading my hunting grounds here.

Most of my life this question has been in the back of my mind. I come from pioneer stock on both sides of my family, but my parents have radically different approaches to the gospel. My father is the big believer in repentance. My mother is the one who strives to never put one toe out of bounds.

This of course leads to somewhat conflicting views internally. The interesting thing is how this works in practice. I remember my Dad when I was young and he was in his 30s- he got extremely angry at times, swore (very occasionally), let us watch TV on Sundays, we went to McDonalds or DQ on Sundays, etc. My Mom, of course, pushed back, not loudly, but persistently, and slowly, one by one, these things changed.

And it wasn't just Mom pushing him, he pushed himself. I remember a priesthood general session where there was strict admonition that the men of the church were not properly respectful and supportive of their wives. From that night forward he was noticeably more supportive and respectful. It wasn't a minor change and it was overnight and persistent!

My Mom, on the other hand, tended towards the guilt trip, both to herself and to others. Changing and improving herself was noticeably harder for her. Of course her temperament is/was such that she has no inclination for evil in the first place, but meddling, controlling her tendency to judge, and other problems of the pious were there, and very difficult for her to overcome.

So in my experience, I would say that its mostly about attitude. My mother had a head start but struggled with change. My Dad started farther back but had the ability to progress more quickly.

What they had in common was a desire for improvement and the willingness to give up something good for something better. It is wise to not sacrifice the good for the impossible perfect, but there are intermediate steps where we can challenge our comfort zone and seek improvement.

If we kick against the pricks then we are accountable, but I think your mention of having some things that you had no desire at all to change is a good measuring stick. Look for the things that *do* bother you, even if it is a little bit, change them one at a time, and move forward...
Refugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 06:48 AM   #28
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
There's a place in life for entertainment and leisure time. They help you get through bad days and give you one more reason to believe that life is pretty darn good. Football, or an episode of my favorite TV show, is not an exemption to the rule.
understood