cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2008, 11:05 PM   #21
SoonerCoug
Formerly known as MudPhudCoug

SoonerCoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
qualified. But he is a good speaker and motivator. In the eyes of many Americans, Mitt was disqualified because of his Church's beliefs. Shouldn't the same standard apply to Barack?
Gosh dang it you are stupid.
SoonerCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:21 PM   #22
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
qualified. But he is a good speaker and motivator. In the eyes of many Americans, Mitt was disqualified because of his Church's beliefs. Shouldn't the same standard apply to Barack?
Are you arguing that Americans were right to disqualify Mitt because of his church's beliefs? If not, shouldn't you apply the same standard to Obama?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:22 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
No, but as I said previously, it's would have been fair to ask him to explain his position vis-a-vis those statements (and George Romney was).

Thus, it's also fair to call upon Obama to distance himself from such lunacy. So far he's done it quite unconvincingly.
What, exactly, are you wanting him to say that he hasn't already said?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #24
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's okay to disqualify a candidate based on Church beliefs. I wouldn't vote for Tom Cruise because of his church beliefs. There would be other reasons but that would be enough. Same for Huckabee. People choose their ridiculous beliefs, unlike their skin color and sexual preference. Kooky beliefs also affect governence and a leader's decision making in more direct and profound ways than gender, skin color, or sexual preference, I submit. How many times do we have to go over this you bunch of prima dona Mormons?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 AM   #25
Cali Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
It's okay to disqualify a candidate based on Church beliefs. I wouldn't vote for Tom Cruise because of his church beliefs. There would be other reasons but that would be enough. Same for Huckabee. People choose their ridiculous beliefs, unlike their skin color and sexual preference. Kooky beliefs also affect governence and a leader's decision making in more direct and profound ways than gender, skin color, or sexual preference, I submit. How many times do we have to go over this you bunch of prima dona Mormons?
In this instance, you would be disqualifying him on beliefs held by his church but disavowed by him? That sounds eminently stupid. Tom Cruise is the principal cheerleader for scientology. Do you really think there is a comparison to Obama who has disavowed the radical statements of his church?
Old 03-14-2008, 12:54 AM   #26
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Gosh dang it you are stupid.
As much as I hate to agree with exie, he asks a valid question.

If Mitt's church affiliation was a reason to disqualify him in the eyes of many, shouldn't Obama's church affiliation disqualify him as well, (despite that being an idiotic reason to do so)?

All's fair in politics. Obama shouldn't get a pass because his reverend is a racist hate monger.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 AM   #27
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
All's fair in politics. Obama shouldn't get a pass because his reverend is a racist hate monger.
Obama has done a better job minimizing his relationship with his church and/or the idea that he is associated with fanaticism, so I don't think it's a fair comparison. Romney handled the religion topic miserably.

Also, is it really unfair to think that Mormonism deserves more scrutiny? It's our own fault we have been too secretive and isolated ourselves from the rest of the world. We have purposely separated ourselves from the real world, while also begging to be accepted. And then we go invade people's space by knocking on their doors at 9 AM on Saturday morning. Very bad PR.

But I still support missionaries willing to harass Hyrum in supermarket parking lots.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:10 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Obama has done a better job minimizing his relationship with his church and/or the idea that he is associated with fanaticism, so I don't think it's a fair comparison. Romney handled the religion topic miserably.

Also, is it really unfair to think that Mormonism deserves more scrutiny? It's our own fault we have been too secretive and isolated ourselves from the rest of the world. We have purposely separated ourselves from the real world, while also begging to be accepted. And then we go invade people's space by knocking on their doors at 9 AM on Saturday morning. Very bad PR.

But I still support missionaries willing to harass Hyrum in supermarket parking lots.
Yes, Mormonism has been more secretive. But does it really deserve more scrutiny based on secrecy? I don't know. I wish there was more transparency.

Still, it seems that Obama is getting a pass. I'm curious as to why. Is it because the Rev. Wright is openly hateful?

I personally don't care about Obama's religion or anything other than his politics and I disagree with his politics more than any other candidate. That is why I won't vote for him. I just think that if it was ok to go after Romney for something his church has done, in either the past or present, then it should be ok for people to do the same to Obama.

And I also think it's ok to send the Elders to talk to Hyrum anytime, anywhere.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:17 AM   #29
SoonerCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
That is why I won't vote for him. I just think that if it was ok to go after Romney for something his church has done, in either the past or present, then it should be ok for people to do the same to Obama.
I agree that it should be OK. But I can also see why it would generate more ratings to go after Mormonism, and news nowadays just boils down to ratings, unless you're watching PBS.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:22 AM   #30
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
But I can also see why it would generate more ratings to go after Mormonism, and news nowadays just boils down to ratings, unless you're watching PBS.
And that, IMO, is a damn shame. I just don't understand why news and all the cable agenda channels just can't report it, rather than call like they see it.