cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2008, 08:03 PM   #21
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
Do you really think Obama needs to shore up his support among black people who feel they are oppressed by 'the man?'
Hillary is still polling better among blacks, so yes.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:04 PM   #22
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Assuming that this group actually votes, he already has their vote and there is no need to pander. You are reaching for something to be upset about if you are upset about his blacks in prison/college comment.
I'm not upset about it. Hadn't even heard about it until Arch's post. Just commenting on it.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:15 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Um, what? Where do you get that from?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:53 PM   #24
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Course someone like Bill Cosby and Charles Barkley say something similar to Obama's statements and they get eviscerated by their own.

Obama says it and because of the cult-like groundswell that I affectionaly call "SuckerMania" for those who're easily brought it by the words of a powerful orator.....then he's amazingly supported.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #25
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road
Default Wow.

Is Obama smart enough to be president? Is this the question of the day?

You know, the world sure would be a better place if we all went around with our IQs tattooed into our forehead. Then we'd finally know who to take seriously out there. How great would that be? Jeez, it's a wonder no one's thought of this before! Think of how much simpler everything would be. They could even separate us into categories and use asterisks in the newspapers to designate anything uttered by the underclasses, just to make it easier for us to tell who's credible:

"Bush today proposed a new environmental policy, aimed at curbing carbon emissions**

** of course, bear in mind he's only a gamma
-class."
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 08:57 PM   #26
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
Which blacks?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:58 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Which blacks?

The ones that will vote for her.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #28
BarbaraGordon

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
The ones that will vote for her.
LOL.

Creek, you're the best.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #29
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I vote for the monkey. I wish he would run for president.

And Babs as VP.

And yes, we should have IQs tattooed to our foreheads so that we know with whom we can be friends and with whom we can't.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #30
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
What kind of crazy criteria are you presenting here? Do you consider yourself bright? Did you work at the Supreme Court or at Cravath or publish anything earth-shattering or even go to Harvard law, let alone graduate first in your class there? Did Pelagius do any of those things? If not, should I assume he isn't bright either?

On the one hand, you say just because he went to Harvard Law we shouldn't assume he is bright. Then you list off a totally random list of other accomplishments and ask if he did those things (making the clear implication that if he had, we then should assume he is bright). How do you come up with this stuff?

He did go to Harvard, and generally that is an indication of intelligence. He was the head of the Harvard Law Review, the most presitious legal publication in the US (does this satisfy your requirement of having published anything earth-shattering). At Harvard, he graduated Magna Cum Laude with High Honors. He then published his first book at age 27.

Rather than take a job at Cravath, which you would certainly assume he could have had if he wanted it, he instead worked for a civil rights law firm in Chicago and accepted a position on the faculty of the law school at the University of Chicago (a top 5 law school- do you think they just hand out those positions?).

Instead of acknowledging his obvious intelligence, you instead then ask a series of asinine questions as if they are the only measure of intelligence. Einstein- sure, he sounds smart, but did he ever think of string theory? Did he ever graduate first in his class? No? Well, there you have it. Can you prove for a fact that Pelagius isn't smarter than Einstein? No? There you go.
No I don't consider myself particularly bright when compared with those I consider bright.

Bright is somebody who didn't study organic chemistry, reads the book before the test and gets an A.

Bright is the guy who learns language based on an ear without work.

Bright is the guy who discovered the shape of the Benzene ring.

It bothers me when the Hollywood elite proclaim this guy to be some sort of genius yet his accomplishments haven't shown that.

Going to Harvard in the eighties if you're not caucasian could have been the result of affirmative action. Being on law review is a popularity contest. You know that.

The brightest at Harvard have Supreme Court clerkships virtually handed to them.

He hasn't come up with any new ideas, other than tired old liberal, lets create another government agency for health insurance, lets raise taxes and lets go on tv and chime in meaningless slogans. Where's the excessive intelligence in that?

He is bright enough to have you enamored with him and you're no dummy. But other than engineering the love of the liberal elite, I don't hear, see and gather any sense of extreme intelligence from him when he speaks or interviews. Perhaps it's just my dumb perceptions that are off.

OTOH, in an earlier post you falsely accuse me of calling politicians dumb. There not particularly dumb, just not the brightest amongst us from a purely intellectual standpoint. From a people manipulator standpoint, they are among the brightest.

Is he bright enough to be President? I certainly hope not.