cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #21
hyrum

hyrum is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Why do you like them?

I really really hate the feeling of being "altered". That is, not in my normal frame of mind, due to a substance.

Like being drunk would have zero attraction for me. Being doped up on opioids--HATE it.

Relaxation? Is it that hard to relax without substances? A buzz? What's the attraction?

In this case, I'm speaking to the mentally sound. I know why the mentally unsound, deeply pained people use substances.
Same reason I don't eat white bread and beans for every meal.
Beverages that contain alcohol have been part of the human culinary experience for thousands of years.
Why did Christ change water to wine at the wedding in Canna?
hyrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:06 PM   #22
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyrum View Post
Same reason I don't eat white bread and beans for every meal.
Beverages that contain alcohol have been part of the human culinary experience for thousands of years.
Why did Christ change water to wine at the wedding in Canna?
Because the Gospel hadn't been restored yet and Emma hadn't compalined about the drinking.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The one thing that could possibly due me in is my love of hobbies and esoteric specialized knowledge. One of my friends' father is a wine collector. Like many thousands of bottles.
This is what appeals to me, as well.

Wine is just so interesting. The story begins with the planting of the grape in a very specific part of the world. The soil, the weather, the method of harvest and storage, every dang thing affects the final taste. once you are done learning abour the journey, you cant help but want to finally taste the end result.

It is fun to read Wine Spectator, even as a teetotaler, as well.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:17 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Because the Gospel hadn't been restored yet and Emma hadn't compalined about the drinking.
I was going to say that he needed something to feed his guests at his own wedding reception.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 PM   #25
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road

1. At a MLB ball park on a warm summer night eating a hot dog.

2. At a nice Mexican resturant sitting outside and watching the waves roll in.

3. Watching a game with your buddies at a sports bar.

These are the three times that the church should give a free pass on drinking beer. Keep it out of the home and always a limit of two. I don't drink but when put in the above places I wish I did.

Eddy Merckx
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:26 AM   #26
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I'm the opposite. I'd be a regular cigar smoker. Alcohol doesn't hold the same appeal to me.
Nothing goes better with a nice cigar than a nice, single-malt scotch or single-barrel bourbon. If you ever drop off the grid, I'll hook you up.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #27
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Vikings View Post
1. At a MLB ball park on a warm summer night eating a hot dog.

2. At a nice Mexican resturant sitting outside and watching the waves roll in.

3. Watching a game with your buddies at a sports bar.

These are the three times that the church should give a free pass on drinking beer. Keep it out of the home and always a limit of two. I don't drink but when put in the above places I wish I did.
(disclaimer I hate the taste of beer)
4. A spring afternoon at the golf course.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #28
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

The attractions:

First (and foremost,) taste. Hoppy beer, a good bourbon on the rocks, a spicy pinot. They not only enhance a good meal but are also worthy of consumption simply on their own merits.

Second, altered states. I admit to enjoying a good buzz from time to time. As noted above it's a warm relaxing experience that gives one a sense of well-being. I'm also not above the rare cathartic drunk. Stripping away the control one has over one's self is liberating and detoxifying.

Third, the social aspect of drinking. Getting out of the house to have a few beers with the boys, an after work drink with my co-workers, sitting on the porch knocking back whiskey with my dad are all important social acts that bring and keep us together.