cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
You speak as one who has not encountered the problem that this family encountered.

You judge these parents harshly, but is it really fair? I bet you probably wouldn't harshly judge the family in my home ward whose daughter committed suicide, who was disturbed, angry, and unhappy.

The better question for the title of this thread, is how do you deal with a child who is bent on destroying a family, for reasons that are unfathomable.
Yes, I don't know the details of this particular situation. But the title of the thread is "would you support your child's desire to be inactive?" and you mentioned an 11-yr-old kid. My general response is that age 11 is far too young to let your kid start making adult decisions like that.

My opinion is colored by my personal experience. I know several people who believe in giving their young kids "free agency". It is almost always a disaster.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:31 PM   #23
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Yes, I don't know the details of this particular situation. But the title of the thread is "would you support your child's desire to be inactive?" and you mentioned an 11-yr-old kid. My general response is that age 11 is far too young to let your kid start making adult decisions like that.

My opinion is colored by my personal experience. I know several people who believe in giving their young kids "free agency". It is almost always a disaster.
I agree with what you and others have said. No way my 11 year old gets a choice about going to church and that is what the question was. Mike then back peddled into it being a question about what do you do with an apparently mentally and emotionally disturbed 11 year old who doesn't want to go to church. How the hell should any of us know, Mike? I would get him to a psychologist and get their opinion. Just because you are an expert on all sorts of things you don't know anything about doesn't mean any of us are.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't trust the people here that say they would never in any circumstance let a child refuse to go to church, based on observing the family I talked about.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:37 PM   #25
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I agree with what you and others have said. No way my 11 year old gets a choice about going to church and that is what the question was. Mike then back peddled into it being a question about what do you do with an apparently mentally and emotionally disturbed 11 year old who doesn't want to go to church. How the hell should any of us know, Mike? I would get him to a psychologist and get their opinion. Just because you are an expert on all sorts of things you don't know anything about doesn't mean any of us are.
In the rare instances I've encountered those extremely emotionally disturbed, I've grown extremely grateful for my children, obnoxious as they can sometimes be. I'm happy just having ordinary obnoxious kids.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:41 PM   #26
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I don't trust the people here that say they would never in any circumstance let a child refuse to go to church, based on observing the family I talked about.
I don't know how many years it will take, and it could be many, but you have a date with a survivalist compound in your future. Your messiah complex makes its all but inescapable.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:45 PM   #27
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I don't know how many years it will take, and it could be many, but you have a date with a survivalist compound in your future. Your messiah complex makes its all but inescapable.
Your lack of insight into the human condition is profound.

You are a destroyer. And that is where we diverge. I am a creator. Look at your life.

So when I am criticized by you, I realize it is coming from a destroyer. I know the Lord is a master creator. And that is what I aspire to.

And that's why I have full confidence that the Mike Waters will triumph over the Utah Dan's. Eventually.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:48 PM   #28
Indy Coug

Quote:
You are a destroyer. And that is where we diverge. I am a creator. Look at your life.

I know the Lord is a master creator. And that is what I aspire to.

And that's why I have full confidence that the Mike Waters will triumph over the Utah Dan's. Eventually.
Messiah Complex: CHECK
Old 06-24-2008, 03:49 PM   #29
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Messiah Complex: CHECK
It's quite fun. You should try it.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:53 PM   #30
Indy Coug

Quote:
It's quite fun. You should try it.
I'm not sure how you recruit somebody into a psychosis.