cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 04:59 AM   #21
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueHair View Post
Actually electing an AA is the first step towards people not mentioning color in the future.

Do you honestly believe anyone could possibly do worse than Bush? Remember we had a budget surplus when he took over.
It can always get worse, just you wait.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:54 PM   #22
FMCoug

FMCoug

I have to agree with this sentiment. I consider myself pretty conservative (on the real world specturm, not the Tex/ExUte/NorCal/Cougarboard spectrum ... them I'm likely a commie) but one cannot deny how huge it is to have elected an AA president.

Questions I have though:

1. Will the press treat Obama with kid gloves? WIll those who don't be branded racists?
2. Related to #1, can we FINALLY get past the labels and put racism behind us?
3. Most importantly, will Obama be as good a president as Morgan Freeman, the last AA president?
Old 11-05-2008, 06:57 PM   #23
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
3. Most importantly, will Obama be as good a president as Morgan Freeman, the last AA president?
Those are big shoes to fill. The way he led the country after those devastating comet attacks was very impressive.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:47 PM   #24
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

1. Will the press treat Obama with kid gloves? WIll those who don't be branded racists?
1. No. Kid gloves helped to get him elected. Why would they not want a 2nd term for their political messiah?

2. No. Unfortunately, it will always be there. If anyone disagrees with Obama, that person will be branded a racist. It worked to help get Obama elected. Why change the strategy?

3. Didn't see whichever movie you're talking about. But Easy Reader would be tough for anyone to have to follow.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #25
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll be way more impressed when BYU gets a black quarterback. Seriously.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:54 PM   #26
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
He wasn't President, he was God, but that won't keep Cali Coug from confusing the two.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:11 PM   #27
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
They weren't alone in creating this mess. As bad as this administration has been, things have gotten worse since Pelosi, Reid and Co. took control of the House.
Correcto. From what I understand, congress spends money and has to approve the vast majority of what the president does. I would like to have one of the 'sore winner' dems explain what Dubya did without their approval?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:12 PM   #28
exUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It can always get worse, just you wait.
Isn't that what the pundits said when the stock market went below 10,000 and then 9,000. Where is it now?

For those who think it can't get worse, why not?
Old 11-05-2008, 08:15 PM   #29
SoCalCoug

SoCalCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Sometimes the vacuum of despair can motivate you to fight harder than ever. I remember being purposefully held under water when somebody was trying to drown me, and fighting it upwards was useless, so I dove downwards contrary to the direction desired by my tormentor, that created fire and power to escape.

Hope is good but not always possible. Sometimes conflict is all we have. Of course I can't counsel you what to believe but I'll be interested in ten years of you feel the same way.
I guess there are quite a number of contexts where going down is a good thing.

"Now perhaps as I spanked myself screaming out "Kozlowski, say it like you mean it bitch!" might have been out of line, but such was the mood." - Goatnapper

"If you want to fatten a pig up to make the pig MORE delicious, you can feed it almost anything. Seriously. The pig is like the car on Back to the Future. You put in garbage, and out comes something magical!" - Cali Coug
SoCalCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 08:22 PM   #30
exUte

Quote:
I have to agree with this sentiment. I consider myself pretty conservative (on the real world specturm, not the Tex/ExUte/NorCal/Cougarboard spectrum ... them I'm likely a commie) but one cannot deny how huge it is to have elected an AA president.

Questions I have though:

It's funny how many who know me think I am a liberal Mormon. And these are Ute mormons. I guess it comes from my wife getting dressed up as a playboy bunny for a halloween party while she was RS president or my disdaine for some of the nonsensical policies at BYU.

So I guess I'm both a right wingnut as well as a liberal Mormon. I guess it depends on which side of the bed I wake up on.