cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2006, 04:22 AM   #21
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearunderpants View Post
...an intellectually stimulating environment for its members.

I could never attend a religion that demans me to put my head in the sand
The most ironic statement ever on this board. Why do you think Sleeping in EQ calls himself that?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:22 AM   #22
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I still say the LDS Church is behind these "studies."
It's a global conspiracy.
Old 09-22-2006, 04:23 AM   #23
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
There's the SeattleUte we all know and love.

You personally baptized hundreds? Now, that sounds like bullshit data.
When I was in Ecuador six in a month was the minimum. Like a .500 season. 20 in a month was like a 20 win season in basketball. All the ZL's were expected to do it.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-22-2006, 04:24 AM   #24
SeattleUte

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclearunderpants View Post
.not saying I'm intellectual though.
Seemingly not.

—Paul Auster
Old 09-22-2006, 04:53 AM   #25
RC Vikings

RC Vikings is on a distinguished road
Default ZL

Quote:
When I was in Ecuador six in a month was the minimum. Like a .500 season. 20 in a month was like a 20 win season in basketball. All the ZL's were expected to do it.
Only a ZL, you sound more like an AP.
RC Vikings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 04:57 AM   #26
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
The LDS Church did or somehow sponsored the studies. One of the things it does well is develop and diseminate bullshit data. Regardless, the data is bullshit. This is like saying there are 11 million members. Right. I personally baptized hundreds of them, 99% of whom I'm sure are inactive. Let me ask you this: Where is there a 76% activity rate, or even a 41% activity rate? Nowhere. The activity rates certainly are not this high worldwide. That's prima facie evidence the data is cooked.

Another factor is that the Church does a good job of enmeshing talented people in its social structure and culture, so that after a point apostasy means economic and social catastrophe. That's the case in Utah and Southern Idaho, anyway, which is still where the back bone and nerve center of the Church resides.
The church also is the one that publishes activity rates. Maybe those are cooked and the activity rates are actually sky high?

I don't think these numbers are made up. In fact, it correlates with my personal experience as a church member. MOST members in every ward I have ever been in were college graduates. Many had degrees beyond undergraduate degrees. Of those who I have home taught who were inactive, few were ever college graduates. I don't have a good explanation for why that is, but the principle behind the study (that Mormons tend to be more active if they have more of an education) is, in my personal experience, absolutely true (and I have been in wards in the church in 3 countries and multiple states).

Even if the numbers are high (and I have no reason to think they are) the principle behind the numbers appears to me to be absolutely true.

As far as the activity numbers go, there is no reason to think they "have to be cooked" simply because they say that 76% of college graduates are active Mormons. Most members are not college graduates. I am assuming the statistics were only reflecting US numbers. In the US, activity rates overall are MUCH higher than outside the US. Given that more individuals in the church are not college graduates, and that less than half of them appear to be active (from the study cited), it is easy to believe that of the remaining number, over 2/3 are active. Losing half of the non-college graduates and about a quarter of the college graduates and above could easily be an accurate reflection of church retention rates in the US.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 11:40 AM   #27
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The LDS Church did or somehow sponsored the studies. One of the things it does well is develop and diseminate bullshit data. Regardless, the data is bullshit. This is like saying there are 11 million members. Right. I personally baptized hundreds of them, 99% of whom I'm sure are inactive. Let me ask you this: Where is there a 76% activity rate, or even a 41% activity rate? Nowhere. The activity rates certainly are not this high worldwide. That's prima facie evidence the data is cooked.

Another factor is that the Church does a good job of enmeshing talented people in its social structure and culture, so that after a point apostasy means economic and social catastrophe. That's the case in Utah and Southern Idaho, anyway, which is still where the back bone and nerve center of the Church resides.
Quote:
All the litigators here know that these types of statistics are always suspect, can easily be skewed, or sliced and diced in ways that serve various ends, and given time to conduct background investigation cross-exmaining the author of such stidies can be like shooting clay pigeon. It's like when NOW says most Americans support abortion rights. I still say the LDS Church is behind these "studies."
Do you mind putting something concrete behind all this smoke?

The idea that Utah and Southern Idaho run deep with highly educated closet apostate Mormons fearful of the economic and social catastrophe that awaits them should they opt out is very quaint. But do you honestly believe it? Seems to me that if one is fool enough to be cowed into activity out of fear, then one is surely fool enough to continue to believe religious superstitions no matter the education level.

They're educated, they believe, and they're active. Why?

Quite simply because it works for them.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #28
nuclearunderpants

nuclearunderpants is on a distinguished road

The lesson manuals at church leave a lot to be desired and I think you missed my point. I apologize if my post didn't make my point clear. I'll be sure to write at least three drafts and run my post by an editor before posting.

My point is that the church attempts to produce scholarly works that support the faith of its intellectual members. FARMS, the Dead Sea Scrolls work, and other scientific undertakings by BYU provide a channel for intellectual members to spend their energy.

Since I'm not an intellectual and apparantly can't think for myself, can I get your personal email address so that anytime I need to make a decision I can ask you personally?

BTW "I could never attend a religion that demans me to put my head in the sand" is not an ironic statement for me---I left the LDS church because I don't believe in the truthfullness of its claims.
nuclearunderpants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:17 PM   #29
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Was it not just released that Utah does not have a high number of college graduates? It seems I read a recent newspaper article that said, despite the perception, Utahn's do not finish their education and there is a small percentage of college grads.

As far as activity rates they are a tad messed up. Going once in a quarter qualifies somebody as active. That means if you go once every four months, you are an active member of the church, not too impressive, IMO.

As far as Seattle Ute's claims, I believe him. In my mission right before I, and the new mission president arrived, the missionaries were baptizing around 15 a month, most wards had around fifteen hundred members with a weekly frequency rate of about one hundred and twenty if you were in a good ward.
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:24 PM   #30
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusnik11 View Post
Was it not just released that Utah does not have a high number of college graduates? It seems I read a recent newspaper article that said, despite the perception, Utahn's do not finish their education and there is a small percentage of college grads.
Well, that's one way to read it I suppose. Depends on how you want to spin it. Here you go:

"Now Utah has slipped to 17th in the nation for bachelor's degree and 27th for advanced degrees, according to the 2005 American Community Survey, also conducted through the Census Bureau."

"And while higher education was taking a dive in Utah, the state's public education sector only slipped two spots to No. 5 for the percentage of residents who completed high school on the most recent report."

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,645193110,00.html