cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #21
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Here's a question: Do you tell your kids about these stereotypes or just let it be? I am not sure if my kids would even connect fried chicken, Watermelon and blacks. Have I done a disservice by not teaching them or is it better to just hope these things die out? Is it better to address it and tell them not to use it, even though that raises the very issue that we collectively hope will go away?

I certainly teach my kids how to identify racist behavior so my kids can know where it exists, know how to avoid it, and know how to choose sides in an argument if needed.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:41 PM   #22
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I certainly teach my kids how to identify racist behavior so my kids can know where it exists, know how to avoid it, and know how to choose sides in an argument if needed.
So you think it should be taught specifically, as oppsoed to teaching the principle and allowing them to identify specific instances as they encounter them? (This is an earnest question, as opposed to a rhetorical attack.)
Old 02-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #23
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/spo rts/2003566932_boyle11.html
Old 02-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #24
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Here's a question: Do you tell your kids about these stereotypes or just let it be? I am not sure if my kids would even connect fried chicken, Watermelon and blacks. Have I done a disservice by not teaching them or is it better to just hope these things die out? Is it better to address it and tell them not to use it, even though that raises the very issue that we collectively hope will go away?
That's an interesting dilemma. I remember my mother had these little black dolls that she called her picaninnies. I don't even know if I can recall ever hearing it as it's usage has died out. So would I have ever learned what it meant otherwise? Who knows?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007, 09:45 PM   #25
jay santos

Quote:
So you think it should be taught specifically, as oppsoed to teaching the principle and allowing them to identify specific instances as they encounter them? (This is an earnest question, as opposed to a rhetorical attack.)
I am a micro-manager when it comes to teaching my kids and I will let them know my opinions on everything, trying to make it clear what is a true principle and what is my specific tactical approach to it. Whenever I teach a principle I try to combine it with real world examples they will face.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:49 PM   #26
jay santos

Pretty impressive athlete if he is (as a sophomore right?) the leading scorer of a top team in the state of Washington in his second sport.

What did you mean by "I am not surprised as i figured he would have character issues."

Is there more info you can share? This guy sounds like he could be a large part of BYU future. I'm curious to know more about him. Today's the first day I heard of him.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
What did you mean by "I am not surprised as i figured he would have character issues."
I think that was the 'joke' part you weren't getting. At least that's how I took it.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:59 PM   #28
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

You are correct, but i guess its not funny if you have to explain it.

This kid is a junior this year, he is a 6'4 225lbs kid, that is very muscular, and supposedly had a huge impact at BYUs football camp a few summers ago. Here are some pics of him:
http://www.maxpreps.com/Galleries.aspx/Im ageList?PhotogalleryID=a853d597-f017-43ec- 9b74-4d851772a267&SC=GalleryType:AthleteGa llery&EventName=Gerald%20Hill

He was also all-state in basketball and said he talked to Dave Rose about playing both sports and Bronco and coach Rose are open to that.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:11 AM   #29
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post

Before dinner we played hoops outside, as my brother and I were both aspiring hoopsters. Then we went in for dinner and sat down to lasagna. As we were starting to eat we talked a little about Alabama where Jeff was from. Them my mother asked "Do you like lasagna Jeff?" He answered "Well I don't know I have never had it before."

And so I said "What do you usually eat, Jeff? Fried chicken and watermelon?" I immediately knew I had done something wrong when my 14 year old brother punched me in the groin under the table. My mom gasped. My dad and oldest brother laughed in nervous shock. Jeff looked extremely uncomfortable. My parents smoothed it out and I was absolutely mortified that I had insulted one of my heroes.

We maintained our friendship with Jeff, since he is an absolutely stellar and wonderful human being. In fact he tutored me quite a lot on my post moves and so forth. I did eventually ask him how it made him feel. He told me that it upset and shocked him quite a lot, because he thought that he was in a safe place. He also understood that I was a little kid and that I did not understand what I was saying. I think it is a credit to him that he did not react more strongly.

The point of this story is that these types of stereotypes are painful and humiliating. They do a lot of damage and the people that use them ought to be ashamed. I know it still gives me pain to think how badly I hurt an 18 year old kids feelings, even though I did not know what I was doing.
just curious but why is what said so bad? Do people automatically think you are less of person because you eat fried chicken and watermelon? My mom makes the best fried chicken you can eat and I also like watermelon. I mean I guess I understand the generalization and if you were portraying the idea that they were just poor and eating fried chicken

if I was having dinner at Seattle Ute's house and he asked me if I have ever had caviar I would say no and one of his kids asked me If I usually ate Jello I wouldn't be mad would I?
Old 02-14-2007, 02:51 AM   #30
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
just curious but why is what said so bad? Do people automatically think you are less of person because you eat fried chicken and watermelon? My mom makes the best fried chicken you can eat and I also like watermelon. I mean I guess I understand the generalization and if you were portraying the idea that they were just poor and eating fried chicken

if I was having dinner at Seattle Ute's house and he asked me if I have ever had caviar I would say no and one of his kids asked me If I usually ate Jello I wouldn't be mad would I?
The stereotype about black folks is that they love to eat fried chicken and watermelon. This joke is usually best done in black face.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote