cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2007, 09:40 PM   #21
pelagius

pelagius is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Seattle I think you understand the difference between policy and doctrine, but are just trolling. And yes there have been more LDS changes than those I mentioned, hence my use of "such as."

But you cannot put teaching that unbaptized infants are put in limbo on the same plane as establishing a perpetual education fund or raising a missionary bar.

Today's change to Catholic doctrine is the equivalent of Mormons saying there no longer a division in the spirit world.

Policy and doctrine are distinguishable and you know it.
Yes, but doesn't Adam God Theology raise to about the same level as a "limbo doctrine." I know most LDS today will argue that it was never doctrine, but I doubt Orson Pratt felt that way when he almost got kicked out of the Quorum for publicly disagreeing with Brigham Young over it.

Now clearly it was not doctrine from an "eternal truth" as doctrine perspective, but it is hard to argue that at a certain point it wasn't an authoritative teaching.

Last edited by pelagius; 04-20-2007 at 11:43 PM.
pelagius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:41 PM   #22
ewth8tr

ewth8tr is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry, meant to direct it at seattle.
ewth8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 PM   #23
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
These are stated as beliefs, not as immutable truths. Note that.
Those are our core doctrines... they won't change...
Old 04-20-2007, 09:43 PM   #24
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelagius View Post
Yes, but doesn't Adam God Theology raise to about the same level as a "limbo doctrine." I know most LDS today will argue that it was never doctrine, but I doubt Orson Pratt felt this way when he almost got kicked out of the Quorum for publicly disagreeing with Brigham You over it.

Now clearly it was not doctrine from a "eternal truth" as doctrine perspective, but it is hard to argue that at a certain point it wasn't an authoritative teaching.
Nice, 20 posts later someone finally answered my question. Thanks Pg.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #25
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewth8tr View Post
sorry, meant to direct it at seattle.
SU's been trolling over here since I discovered this site. Is he ever not trolling? He's always got his lawyer hat on, using whatever resources he has at his disposal: intellect and reason sometimes, but also lies, manipulation, exaggeration, and other tactics to bring down everything that is LDS or BYU.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 PM   #26
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Seattle I think you understand the difference between policy and doctrine, but are just trolling. And yes there have been more LDS changes than those I mentioned, hence my use of "such as."

But you cannot put teaching that unbaptized infants are put in limbo on the same plane as establishing a perpetual education fund or raising a missionary bar.

Today's change to Catholic doctrine is the equivalent of Mormons saying there no longer a division in the spirit world.

Policy and doctrine are distinguishable and you know it.
I don't see anything about the division of the spirit world in what MRD tells me is the definitive statement of LDS doctrine. I have no doubt that if for some reason the First Presidency announced there was no division after all that folks like you would say that was policy after all. I am most emphatically not trolling. I do not understand the distinction made between policy and doctrine made by LDS. I think the policy-doctrine dicotomy is just what Pelagius said it was. It's a tautology; circular logic.

As I've stated, this whole debate is impossible precisely because there is no clear, definitive, comprehensive statement of LDS doctrine out there. Grace is a good example. Another good example, is denying priesthood to blacks. Someone could say that was "tradition." Well, my resposne is, why so? Becuase it isn't spelled out anywhere? Assuming it's not so are a lot of other LDS beliefs and sacraments or ordinances people today would tell you are doctrine, i.e., God's imutable words.

I find it ironic that LDS call the denial of priesthood to blacks for all those years "policy" not doctrine, when calling it doctrine would be more mitigating of this apartheid than calling it policy.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:50 PM   #27
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I don't see anything about the division of the spirit world in what MRD tells me is the definitive statement of LDS doctrine. I have no doubt that if for some reason the First Presidency announced there was no division after all that folks like you would say that was policy after all. I am most emphatically not trolling. I do not understand the distinction made between policy and doctrine made by LDS. I think the policy-doctrine dicotomy is just what Pelagius said it was. It's a tautology; circular logic.

As I've stated, this whole debate is impossible precisely because there is no clear, definitive, comprehensive statement of LDS doctrine out there. Grace is a good example. Another good example, is denying priesthood to blacks. Someone could say that was "tradition." Well, my resposne is, why so? Becuase it isn't spelled out anywhere? Assuming it's not so are a lot of other LDS beliefs and sacraments or ordinances people today would tell you are doctrine, i.e., God's imutable words.

I find it ironic that LDS call the denial of priesthood to blacks for all those years "policy" not doctrine, when calling it doctrine would be more mitigating of this apartheid than calling it policy.
DId I miss something? Where did he say it was a DEFINITIVE (e.g. complete and total) statement of doctrines?
Old 04-20-2007, 09:52 PM   #28
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
DId I miss something? Where did he say it was a DEFINITIVE (e.g. complete and total) statement of doctrines?
I said there wasn't any such thing and he gave me the Articles of Faith, which, as Archea notes, don't even claim to be doctrine.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:54 PM   #29
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I didn't ... All I said was that the AofF are the LDS core doctrine
Old 04-20-2007, 09:55 PM   #30
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I said there wasn't any such thing and he gave me the Articles of Faith, which, as Archea notes, don't even claim to be doctrine.
You deceiver of men! You said there was no such thing (meaning nothing written). He said there was something written that shows core doctrines. Arch says they are not immutable. No one claimed they were comprehensive, and they may or may not be doctrines or immutable.