cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-25-2007, 04:30 PM   #21
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I used to do public speaking and training for a living. Sometimes in front of several hundred employees at once, so I realized that I have a pretty biased and unfair critical viewpoint of those who speak.

I get bored and dis-interested very quick.

I find myself being highly critical and then remember they're just regular Joes like you and I, and that not everyone can be a dynamic speaker. Since then I've been much nicer about it.
Old 04-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #22
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Another unintended benefit:

Going on a mission is one of the greatest ways to learn how to get along with others and an excellent way to grow up and learn to be a man. You are with your comp 24/7/365 X2 - That is more than I'm with my spouse. Nothing is worse than having a comp you hate but you have two options: 1) bicker with each other and be miserable for two months until one of you is blessedly transferred, 2) suck it up and learn to get along just for the sake of getting along.

When I hire new college graduates, I am always amazed at the very visible difference in maturity, work ethic, and interpersonal skills between those that are RMs and those that aren't. In fact, there are a couple of people at the office who are RMs that have subsequently left the church and had their names removed from the records. They will admit that even though they hated the mission experience at the time and didn't really truly believe in the religious aspects of it at the time, that it had a net positive effect on their life overall in terms of growing up, learning interpersonal skills, and gaining valuable life-experience.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 04:40 PM   #23
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
When I hire new college graduates, I am always amazed at the very visible difference in maturity, work ethic, and interpersonal skills between those that are RMs and those that aren't.
Agreed. When I taught at Utah, I had several RM's in my classes. Sometimes I found out in conversation; sometimes I just guessed. At any rate, I never had an RM - male or female - earn below a B in class (I only taught intro-level surveys). I'm sure age had something to do with it, but at the same time I had 25 year old non-LDS freshmen who struggled mightily with basic study skills and work ethic.