cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What's more irrational?
To become offended when non-believers name a stuffed animal after your primary religious figure? 9 75.00%
To claim God helped you win a football game? 3 25.00%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
God is fickle and temperamental. One minute he's on your side, then he deserts you, for no apparent reason. Personally, I think he waited too long to stop Hitler; I mean, 40 million corpses is too many for my taste. But hey, it's his sand box.
God has never deserted me. He gets tired of my jokes sometimes, but he is never far.

He would hang around you more often, too, if you would lose the homo-erotic avatar and shave your chin pubes.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 08:48 PM   #32
Black Diamond Bay

Black Diamond Bay is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to Black Diamond Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote View Post
My seizure was in regards to this quote actually.

I do not claim to read the mind of God, but I am trying to understand the character of God. This is the quote that got me going.

I will now end my seizure, because it makes it difficult to type.
Are you suggesting that you have acheived an understanding of God's character that now allows you to unequivocally determine what events God cares about, and which ones he will exert some influence over?

For the record, I really don't think that God cares whether or not BYU beats Utah, but I can't say that I actually know that.

What really baffles me about all of this is that people are freaking out about a 22 year old kid who gets a microphone shoved in his face right after the biggest game of his life and says that he felt like God helped him play well. I just can't figure out why anyone would feel a need to insist that he's wrong (unless you're SU, who is seemingly incapable of passing up an opportunity to throw in something just to make sure that we all still remember that he doesn't believe in God), much less actually take offense to the statement.

What does it hurt you if he wants to believe that God has made him a better football player for living in a way that he believes in righteous? Why would you want to dissuade him or anyone else from believing that?
Black Diamond Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 PM   #33
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
My avatar.

I named my kids' doll "Little Creekster" and it pissed the real Creekster off.
No, it pissed off some of Creekster's followers. Next thing you know, every fifth Mexican boy is going to be named Creekster.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 04:59 PM   #34
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Why were people scared to vote in this poll?

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #35
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am offended by push polls.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 05:53 PM   #36
PaloAltoCougar

PaloAltoCougar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Scared? More like "unmotivated." Given how the second choice was phrased, only an atheist would say God didn't help him win a football game. Assuming God created the player and the environment, God necessarily "helped" him win, as without God there would be no game, much less a victory. God helped me get up, ride, shower, drink an Acai Superantioxidant, and drive to work this morning, as he did everyone else, including the prick who cut me off on 237.

Had you phrased the second choice, "Because God wanted me to win," then you'd have a basis for questioning one's thought process. But if you allow for the possibility God exists, the second choice is not only rational, it's inevitable. To the atheist, nothing is sacred; to the believer, pretty much everything is.
PaloAltoCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:01 PM   #37
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond Bay View Post
Are you suggesting that you have acheived an understanding of God's character that now allows you to unequivocally determine what events God cares about, and which ones he will exert some influence over?

For the record, I really don't think that God cares whether or not BYU beats Utah, but I can't say that I actually know that.

What really baffles me about all of this is that people are freaking out about a 22 year old kid who gets a microphone shoved in his face right after the biggest game of his life and says that he felt like God helped him play well. I just can't figure out why anyone would feel a need to insist that he's wrong (unless you're SU, who is seemingly incapable of passing up an opportunity to throw in something just to make sure that we all still remember that he doesn't believe in God), much less actually take offense to the statement.

What does it hurt you if he wants to believe that God has made him a better football player for living in a way that he believes in righteous? Why would you want to dissuade him or anyone else from believing that?
the same utah fans who freak out about what a BYU player said don't freak out about an evangelical christian player doing the same thing in an NFL game. This is just about the level of religious paranoia that exists in the state of Utah. and ALUF's get into the fray just as much, if not more, than the inactive LDS or non-LDS Utah fans.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #38
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Addison View Post
I am offended by push polls.
So is SU unless he is the author.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:15 PM   #39
Snowcat

Snowcat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post

Maybe if he went to more games.....
Just to have some blue hair tell Him to sit down?
Snowcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #40
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
No, it pissed off some of Creekster's followers. Next thing you know, every fifth Mexican boy is going to be named Creekster.
except everyone will call them "monkey man"