cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Where are you on the gay/straight spectrum?
10 - completely heterosexual 25 69.44%
9 4 11.11%
8 1 2.78%
7 3 8.33%
6 0 0%
5 0 0%
4 1 2.78%
3 1 2.78%
2 0 0%
1 - completely homosexual 1 2.78%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-27-2008, 06:36 PM   #31
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiteRider View Post
Maybe sexuality is binary, at this time in our history. There are incredibly strong political and social reasons to strongly identify as either pure heterosexual or pure homosexual. Would this poll reveal something different about the ancient Greeks? We can't know what a pure spectrum would look like since no such poll can be taken in the absence of a social and political context. I suspect that the full spectrum of human sexuality would be quite diverse and more evenly distributed if such a pure poll were possible.
This reminds me of a documentary I saw on PBS a few years ago. They were mentioning that the definition of homosexual was different in different cultures and they used Brazil to show just how different it could be. The documentary stated that in Brazil a man could receive oral sex or give anal sex and not consider himself gay. Only the one being "used" as the sex object was gay. They then compared the Brazilian definition with the definition that many in US prisons would use and said it was similar. If that doesn't scream "spectrum" I don't know what does.

Last edited by SteelBlue; 02-27-2008 at 08:24 PM.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:21 PM   #32
BigFatMeanie

BigFatMeanie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Y won't admit to his obsession with Utestar and BigFatMeanie's obsession with Monkey man.
You lost me with "Monkey man". Tell me who that is and perhaps I will cop to alleged obsession.
BigFatMeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #33
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
You lost me with "Monkey man". Tell me who that is and perhaps I will cop to alleged obsession.
Creekster. Come on, get with the program.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:07 PM   #34
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

This is HILARIOUS. Seventy percent max out heterosexuality??? Such a virile group!!

I'd love to see a similar poll on a female-populated board. I bet the results would be very different.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
This is HILARIOUS. Seventy percent max out heterosexuality??? Such a virile group!!

I'd love to see a similar poll on a female-populated board. I bet the results would be very different.
On a female board, I'd confess to being a lesbian. Would that count? Besides, you've seen my portrait, how could I vote otherwise?
Old 02-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I agree that this poll was very clever and drove him a very useful point.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:18 PM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Of course the important point is, wherever you lie on the spectrum, did you choose it?
Well, one does have 10 choices there, right?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:19 AM   #38
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't want to kiss, hold hands with, or play with any guys ding-dongs, but I am completely comfortable being around gay men, and would let one cry on my shoulder. I am not interested in intimacy, but I enjoy the social friendship just as much as I do with straight men or women.

So what is my score? Or is this poll meant to exclusively measure sexual appetites?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:29 AM   #39
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
I don't want to kiss, hold hands with, or play with any guys ding-dongs, but I am completely comfortable being around gay men, and would let one cry on my shoulder. I am not interested in intimacy, but I enjoy the social friendship just as much as I do with straight men or women.

So what is my score? Or is this poll meant to exclusively measure sexual appetites?
You're missing the important indicators. Do you like Barbara Streisand? How about Cher? How often do you attend musical theater or ballet? Do you own any penny loafers? Ever cry during a Hallmark commercial?

At 75%, I think it's pretty clear that you're supposed to vote ten if you want to be taken seriously by this lot. Vote any lower at your own peril.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 02:40 AM   #40
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
You're missing the important indicators. Do you like Barbara Streisand? How about Cher? How often do you attend musical theater or ballet? Do you own any penny loafers? Ever cry during a Hallmark commercial?

At 75%, I think it's pretty clear that you're supposed to vote ten if you want to be taken seriously by this lot. Vote any lower at your own peril.
So, while I don't drive a Subaru Outback, I think they're pretty nice cars. Does that drive up my lesbian score? Of course, I hate softball so maybe that evens things out?

Then again, by Goats definition, I must be a lesbian since there is no way danimal, with his three older sisters, could be a real man. I'm so confused!
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote