cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
No, I ridicule it because of its incredible stupidity.

If you want to take issue with "crowd manipulation" (however you define that), then you ought to at least be honest and acknowledge that it exists in every aspect of your life. The movies, political speeches, advertisements, church ceremonies, magazines, books, parades, jury trials, you name it.

Of all of those forms of "crowd manipulation" mentioned, I would bet Obama's "crowd manipulation" is among the weakest. Have you been to an Obama rally? It is a stump speech (including the one given in Oregon). He didn't control the lights (they were outdoors), he played upbeat music (they all do), and then he gave his speech.

You also assume that Obama's "manipulation" is the reason the people like him, as opposed to any other countless number of reasons (they like his ideas, being one). Instead, you matter of factly state that the people are just being "manipulated" and are too dumb to know the difference. Talk about elitism.

And you tie it all up with a reference to Hitler? Should we compare Stephen Spielberg to Hitler too? For these (and many other) reasons, this is quite seriously the dumbest argument you have advanced on CG to date. Just because you saw it in a blog doesn't mean you should repeat it.
You're offended by it because you're not willing to analyze what manipulation he and his handlers may be engaged it.

Upbeat music and what else to control and to stoke the emotions. We have too few data points, but his "media" campaign seems more than benign.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #32
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You're offended by it because you're not willing to analyze what manipulation he and his handlers may be engaged it.

Upbeat music and what else to control and to stoke the emotions. We have too few data points, but his "media" campaign seems more than benign.
Can you point me to a single solitary political campaign on the national level that doesn't do the same thing? Are you really making the leap that because he plays upbeat music he is like Hitler and will take over the world?

Are you feeling ok?

Have you told your bishop he is like Hitler for creating a somber mood during fast and testimony meeting that is punctuated by appropriate music?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 04:29 PM   #33
Archaea

Quote:
Can you point me to a single solitary political campaign on the national level that doesn't do the same thing? Are you really making the leap that because he plays upbeat music he is like Hitler and will take over the world?

Are you feeling ok?

Have you told your bishop he is like Hitler for creating a somber mood during fast and testimony meeting that is punctuated by appropriate music?
I don't like any campaigns and their mob manipulation. I especially start feeling queezy when the crowds become large as the personal conscience can be overridden. At least some theories hold it to be true. There are some game theorists who debate it.

With all the hip stuff, the Oprah stuff and now the large crowd manipulation stuff, plus worshipers such as yourself, it appears to be a dangerous movement devoid of reason, but set by passion. Passion in this manner is dangerous.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #34
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Um, yes. It is an argument he is popular. The most popular candidate typically wins the election. I thought you would get it by now. Triplet even posted pictures to make it easier to understand.
75K at an Oregon rally is impressive. The election, however, is still in November.

Still plenty of time for Obamamoonies to drink some arsenic-laced Koolaid.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:13 PM   #35
Cali Coug

Quote:
I don't like any campaigns and their mob manipulation. I especially start feeling queezy when the crowds become large as the personal conscience can be overridden. At least some theories hold it to be true. There are some game theorists who debate it.

With all the hip stuff, the Oprah stuff and now the large crowd manipulation stuff, plus worshipers such as yourself, it appears to be a dangerous movement devoid of reason, but set by passion. Passion in this manner is dangerous.
Just like General Conference, right? Give up, Arch. Your continued posts on the topic aren't helping your cause.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #36
Archaea

Quote:
Just like General Conference, right? Give up, Arch. Your continued posts on the topic aren't helping your cause.
General conference driven by passion? I've never been awake long enough to have passion driving me.

General conference is a necessary evil, but not beneficial IMHO. Again, the only mass produced items I enjoy are sports.

There is no manipulation at Church events, usually, except to produce a cure for insomnia.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:07 PM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Nostradamus has spoken.
I sincerely hope Obama is not elected, because I don't want to have to tell you that I told you so.

Obama's latest idiotic comment that Iran is a tiny threat compared to the Soviets tells me that he underestimates Iran and it also demonstrates that I'm correct about him.

He's an appeaser.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 08:30 PM   #38
Cali Coug

Quote:
General conference driven by passion? I've never been awake long enough to have passion driving me.

General conference is a necessary evil, but not beneficial IMHO. Again, the only mass produced items I enjoy are sports.

There is no manipulation at Church events, usually, except to produce a cure for insomnia.
You don't think there is any manipulation at church events? Are you kidding me? Every single thing done at church to create a more peaceful setting so people can feel the Spirit is a manipulation of an environment to obtain a desired result. You like the result, so you don't deem it to be a manipulation. Manipulation isn't per se bad or evil, by the way. You manipulate every single time you try a case in front of a judge or jury. You are manipulated every time you watch an advertisement or attend a concert or sporting event. Give it up.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #39
Archaea

Quote:
You don't think there is any manipulation at church events? Are you kidding me? Every single thing done at church to create a more peaceful setting so people can feel the Spirit is a manipulation of an environment to obtain a desired result. You like the result, so you don't deem it to be a manipulation. Manipulation isn't per se bad or evil, by the way. You manipulate every single time you try a case in front of a judge or jury. You are manipulated every time you watch an advertisement or attend a concert or sporting event. Give it up.
I would prefer a more stark presentation with less emphasis on quiet. You've misread me all along, I do not like manipulation at all.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:40 PM   #40
Cali Coug

Quote:
I would prefer a more stark presentation with less emphasis on quiet. You've misread me all along, I do not like manipulation at all.
You manipulate people all the time! What do you think you do as a lawyer? Isn't it manipulation to present your strongest arguments first in a brief? To present a compelling story to the jury? To use tone and cadence to get the jury to pay attention? To appeal to feelings the jury can empathize with? I can't even believe we are having this discussion. For you to single out Obama and compare him to Hitler for doing something that everyone does and which may or may not actually be the main factor for people attending a rally is absurd.