cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 04:33 AM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
What are the ways to get info that she has assisted with so far, Creekster? She has appeared at rallies, given a speech (with no new substantive information) to a big crowd of supporters, and has spoken with People Magazine. Call me underwhelmed. We are into week 2 now without learning anything more about her policies.

The tragedy, Creekster, isn't that some people will take a wait and see approach with her before supporting her. That is great. The tragedy is the sheer number of people who support her candidacy NOW, without knowing a thing about her positions. Why is that tragic? You hit on the answer in your post:

"We can scrutinize her. IF she fails to give us enough info, fails to provide product to the marketplace of ideas, then we can ignore her or vote against her or choose to vote for mcCain and hope he doesn't die and so forth. THis is exactly what democracy is supposed to allow for. There is no formula to follow in campaigns. There is a marketplce and they try to sell. If they fail, then they lose. If they satisfy the market, then they win."

The marketplace appears to be shifting away from a desire for information on ideas, and towards a desire for information on fluff. It has always existed to a degree in every campaign, but not to the point where information on ideas can be completely eliminated and votes can be won solely on the basis of fluff. If the marketplace shifts to a point where ideas and issues are no longer of importance, the value of democracy has died. McCain and Palin are moving us closer to a true shifting of the marketplace away from ideas. This pick, 2 months before the election, followed by at least a week, if not more, of hiding the pick from the questions of the media and voters, is insulting to the fundamentals of democracy.

I hope we do learn more about her positions. I assume we will over time, and it will be great when/if it happens. It won't change the fact that for many people, the total lack of information about a candidate's ideas is not problematic at all. Look at the cute kids!

Then don't vote for her. But don't blame her for your displeasure with the market. DU calme, frere, du calme. The system has survived worse than Sarah Palin, and your histrionics in the face of her nomination is, quite frankly, amusing.
Old 09-08-2008, 04:54 AM   #32
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Then don't vote for her. But don't blame her for your displeasure with the market. DU calme, frere, du calme. The system has survived worse than Sarah Palin, and your histrionics in the face of her nomination is, quite frankly, amusing.
I just wish we could all go back to that magical place, where we were before John McCain. When voters cared only about issues and not about appearances or personality.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 04:56 AM   #33
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
For all of the attacks you levy against me, you haven't even attempted to answer the very simple questions I have posed to you.

What does Palin believe on issues like health care, social security, education, Iraq, Bush Doctrine, China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Georgia, trade, NAFTA, or the economy?

Thanks in advance.

If you don't know, you must admit you are willing to vote for someone without knowing a thing about their positions on the most important issues we face as a nation today. Tragic.
The election isn't for 2 more months.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 05:14 AM   #34
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
The tragedy, as I have stated and repeated over and over again, is that people like you just don't care where she is on the issues.
It's not that I don't care. It's that I don't anticipate she'll have any significant policy difference with the nominee, who I support. It's a calculated risk. Now if she makes a fool of herself, proves to be a less than worthy running mate, or takes a policy position which I don't like, then I'll re-evaluate. Please excuse me if I fail to see the tragedy in that.

My comment about her memorizing McCain talking points reflects the reality of presidential politics. The VP will assume the Presidents positions and do their best to sell them. That's usually why they were selected.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:17 AM   #35
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It's not that I don't care. It's that I don't anticipate she'll have any significant policy difference with the nominee, who I support. It's a calculated risk. Now if she makes a fool of herself, proves to be a less than worthy running mate, or takes a policy position which I don't like, then I'll re-evaluate. Please excuse me if I fail to see the tragedy in that.

My comment about her memorizing McCain talking points reflects the reality of presidential politics. The VP will assume the Presidents positions and do their best to sell them. That's usually why they were selected.
I so pity you, Yohio. You are on the brink of a disaster and are too, well, you know, to realize it.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:00 AM   #36
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Look! A shiny object! Go chase it.
Full on hilarity.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 01:28 PM   #37
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
What you have just described is Ricky Bobby's sidekick.
Who, if you recall, won the race after Ricky and Borat got in a wreck. Not a good example.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:39 PM   #38
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

Quote:
No, that isn't what you said.
YOhio statements posteriores priores contrarias abrogant.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #39
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Obama and Biden have been running for president

Quote:
http://marcambinder.theatlantic.com/...shes_ready.php

Give me a break. This is a tragedy for American democracy. An old man picks an unknown to be his VP, and we are told that she just isn't available to answer any questions? I wonder if we will be graced with the opportunity to question her at some point before the election.

This speaks volumes about how the McCain camp views Palin right now... unprepared.
for years.......plenty of time to prepare themselves. What's the problem with preparing Palin who was thrust into the limelight only 1 week ago?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:44 PM   #40
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default What say you when BOTH Clinton and Biden

said Obama wasn't ready to lead? Now he is, simply because he was nominated?