cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2005, 12:39 AM   #31
fuegote

fuegote

I'm reading the article right now, but this was pretty funny,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane E. Jeffery
"The methane from animal wastes would have made the ark a floating bomb, susceptible to the slightest candle flame.4"
Old 12-22-2005, 12:54 AM   #32
fuegote

fuegote

This will be fun....

I have quotes from John Taylor, Brigham Young and Joseph Fielding Smith vs. Duane E. Jeffery.....

ding ding. I'm reading Jeffery's article right now.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:07 AM   #33
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Stephen J Gould wrote an excellent essay on the topic of the flood and the impossibility of the entire earth being covered in water. I can't find it online, but I have it in a textbook somewhere. I think it was titled "A quahog is a quahog" (yes, seriously). If anyone finds it, it would be a good addition to this thread.

As for me and my house, to this point I can't buy into a total coverage. Put me in the localized camp.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 06:09 AM   #34
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33
, but also stolen by Ham, who then passed it along to his son Nimrod. Nimrod noted as a mighty hunter, mind you in the scriptures, but according to Jewish lore and belief was a mighty hunter who boasted of his skills. It is believed that no animal could escape his bow. A task made simple with the help of Adam's garment.
It's my understanding that some apocryphal reference claims that God put the fear of man into animals because of Nimrod.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 12:23 PM   #35
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic
Why should we not believe that the earth was covered with water entirely? Hasn't it been said that that was the baptism of the earth and like any baptism, every part must be submerged?
you mean this quote here:
Quote:
“The first ordinance instituted for the cleansing of the earth, was that of immersion in water; it was buried in the liquid element, and all things sinful upon the face of the earth were washed away. As it came forth from the ocean floor, like the new-born child, it was innocent; it rose to newness of life. It was its second birth from the womb of mighty waters—a new world issuing from the ruins of the old, clothed with all the innocence of this first creation.” (In Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 4:20.)
“The earth, in its present condition and situation, is not a fit habitation for the sanctified; but it abides the law of its creation, has been baptized with water, will be baptized by fire and the Holy Ghost, and by-and-by will be prepared for the faithful to dwell upon” (Brigham Young, in Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 4:20).
Old 12-22-2005, 01:36 PM   #36
fuegote

fuegote

One area that hasn’t been reconciled: The local flood theory assumes that the Garden of Eden was in Jerusalem/Israel area. The article touched on Elder Widstoe’s thoughts on the ark moving from the Americas to the “Old World” but that’s the only one.

The article just confirms my beliefs on proving scripture with science. It would be a lot of fun but there’s just too many “ifs” on both sides of the argument. It’s not a critical point of doctrine so it isn’t one to really have any fight over one way or the other.

It is a fascinating read and thank you all for pointing me in that direction. This board rules for the type of discussion this format allows.

One little thought from the “sheep” named fuegote: there is no historic proof that Jesus Christ walked amongst the people in the Americas, but we still believe he did.
Old 12-22-2005, 02:53 PM   #37
Rickomatic

Rickomatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickomatic
Why should we not believe that the earth was covered with water entirely? Hasn't it been said that that was the baptism of the earth and like any baptism, every part must be submerged?
you mean this quote here:
Quote:
“The first ordinance instituted for the cleansing of the earth, was that of immersion in water; it was buried in the liquid element, and all things sinful upon the face of the earth were washed away. As it came forth from the ocean floor, like the new-born child, it was innocent; it rose to newness of life. It was its second birth from the womb of mighty waters—a new world issuing from the ruins of the old, clothed with all the innocence of this first creation.” (In Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 4:20.)
“The earth, in its present condition and situation, is not a fit habitation for the sanctified; but it abides the law of its creation, has been baptized with water, will be baptized by fire and the Holy Ghost, and by-and-by will be prepared for the faithful to dwell upon” (Brigham Young, in Smith, Answers to Gospel Questions, 4:20).

Thank you. That is what I was looking for. A total covering, just like I did when I baptized my daughters. God works in ways we can not understand or comprehend.
Rickomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:01 PM   #38
fuegote

fuegote

My added thoughts:

As long as the we agree on Faith in Jesus Christ, Repentance, Baptism and the Gift of the Holy Ghost as well as the other saving ordinances of the gospel, we can disagree on the scientific explanation on the flood.

Even after reading that article, I still believe it was a world wide flood and some will believe in the local flood theory. But we both will be saved if we believe and act according to God's principles.

Sidenote: these discussions found in the religion forum will make Gospel Doctrine unbearable to go to. Thanks a lot.
Old 12-22-2005, 03:08 PM   #39
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuegote
...I still believe it was a world wide flood and some will believe in the local flood theory.
Another theory -- and the one to which I subscribe -- is that there was no flood at all and the story of Noah is nothing more than a morality tale. Kind of like the story of George Washington chopping down the cherry tree.
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2005, 03:11 PM   #40
fuegote

fuegote

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur
Kind of like the story of George Washington chopping down the cherry tree.
you mean he didn't? :shock: (do you really need me to add a wink to my posts? I think you guys are pretty observant and know when I'm kidding and when I'm not).