cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2008, 03:53 PM   #31
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
The church will not accept repayment for assistance given. If the person who receives the help would like to give more to Fast Offerings in the future so be it. However, their charity is just that, charity and no repayment is ever expected.
Does that policy vary from stake to stake? Because I know of a lady who asked me to ask her branch president for help, and he told me she had done nothing to repay the stake for their previous assistance.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:55 PM   #32
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Just for the record, I wasn't necessarily disputing that someone, somewhere may have claimed what you said. I merely provided easy "fish in a barrel" evidence that it's not consistent with what one can find in an easy 2-second search of Conference talks.

IOW, it's a myth very easily dispelled.
I actually appreciate your quotes. They will come in handy if the subject ever comes up again.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM   #33
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Does that policy vary from stake to stake? Because I know of a lady who asked me to ask her branch president for help, and he told me she had done nothing to repay the stake for their previous assistance.
Well I guess I could be wrong but "repay" could mean doing church service for money. I know that in my stake they do not extend assistance and ask to be paid back. In fact, they will not receive pay back.
Old 02-11-2008, 03:58 PM   #34
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Well I guess I could be wrong but "repay" could mean doing church service for money. I know that in my stake they do not extend assistance and ask to be paid back. In fact, they will not receive pay back.
It probably depends on the ward. I know my brothers partner said he was always bugged by a family in his ward that spent like crazy on Christmas. He was a counselor in the Bishopric and he said the Bishop had a big heart and in about March would help them out when the family came to him.

When he was made Bishop and the family came in, he told them to have a garage sale to raise the money.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:00 PM   #35
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
I just want to know how the Church encourages members to repay their loans. Any ideas? Anyone? Anyone?
If I had to guess, I would say guilt. That's how we do everything.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:03 PM   #36
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
If I had to guess, I would say guilt. That's how we do everything.
Right. Why should anyone feel guilty about defaulting on loans from other church members?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 PM   #37
K-dog

Quote:
Right. Why should anyone feel guilty about defaulting on loans from other church members?
He asked about how the Church was encouraging repayment. I said guilt. Nothing in your post disagrees with that assessment. I assume that means you too think the Church probably uses guilt to encourage payment.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 02-11-2008, 04:08 PM   #38
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
He asked about how the Church was encouraging repayment. I said guilt. Nothing in your post disagrees with that assessment. I assume that means you too think the Church probably uses guilt to encourage payment.
I was disagreeing with "that's how we do everything."

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #39
K-dog

Quote:
I was disagreeing with "that's how we do everything."
You should be more specific in your posting. Your post didn't indicate that at all. In fact, you probably only retroactively are saying that. Since that is now the point of your post, I see no argument against that either. We use guilt like a club to beat the youth into line, we pass around "sign up sheets" we do PPIs to make sure people do their home teaching and have family home evening. I don't think there is a question that we use guilt as a tool to help people make, what we consider, good choices. The real question is whether it is appropriate or inappropriate.

K-dog

P.S. Grrrrrrrrr
Old 02-11-2008, 04:16 PM   #40
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I think it depends on the Bishop and what he decides is best for the person seeking assistance. In our stake those receiving help are sometimes asked to work some hours in the cannery or to perform some simple service at the church building. As far as "they will not receive payment back" goes, I'm not sure that's true. It's rarely, if ever, expected but I'm sure the payment would be accepted as a fast offering donation.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote