cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
I don't think church discipline and repentance/forgiveness are inextricably linked in a 1:1 ratio, no. That you felt you need to guess at that one says more about you than about me.

Lebowski? Is that you?

By "the church" I assume you mean "by revelation" and thus "by the Lord", right?

Speaking of sarcasm ...

Sorry, did you want me to take you seriously, or shall we just trade bromides for a few posts?
You play an interesting role, as the ultra-orthodox member of the board, with Indy playing it to a lesser extent.

If this assumption is in error, would you mind sharing just one heterodox religious perspective.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:38 PM   #32
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You play an interesting role, as the ultra-orthodox member of the board, with Indy playing it to a lesser extent.

If this assumption is in error, would you mind sharing just one heterodox religious perspective.
I think my actual orthodoxy is a very relative status. Relative to the church as a whole, I'm pretty much down the middle. Relative to CG, I'm right-center at the bare minimum.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:40 PM   #33
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:

... defined as, something I disagree with church leadership on?

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:42 PM   #34
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
... defined as, something I disagree with church leadership on?
There are orthodox takes on many matters, not just leadership decisions. I suspect you'll go along with anything the leadership decides, believing it to be the Lord's will.

However there are matters not requiring a leadership view, such as whether JS really was commanded to marry young girls and married women. It might be orthodox to believe there really was an angel and heterodox to believe otherwise.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:47 PM   #35
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
By "the church" I assume you mean "by revelation" and thus "by the Lord", right?

Lame.

Why have any discussion on anything? Of course you can point to revelation on any practice in the church. Did you think all this time I wasn't aware that the church's court process came from inspired leaders, and you just now thought you would enlighten me?

Twenty years ago when church was excommunicating for first time adulterers, you would have fought tooth and nail that this was an inspired, revealed-by-God process with no error. Yet twenty years later, first time adulterers are very rarely excommunicated. So if it was wrong 20 years ago and you were wrong 20 years ago to fight to the death over its correctness, why are you so sure it's correct now?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:48 PM   #36
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Lame.

Why have any discussion on anything? Of course you can point to revelation on any practice in the church. Did you think all this time I wasn't aware that the church's court process came from inspired leaders, and you just now thought you would enlighten me?

Twenty years ago when church was excommunicating for first time adulterers, you would have fought tooth and nail that this was an inspired, revealed-by-God process with no error. Yet twenty years later, first time adulterers are very rarely excommunicated. So if it was wrong 20 years ago and you were wrong 20 years ago to fight to the death over its correctness, why are you so sure it's correct now?
Does God sometimes change his "designated punishment" for certain sins?
Old 01-09-2008, 07:50 PM   #37
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Does God sometimes change his "designated punishment" for certain sins?
Yes. I suppose God didn't realize 20 years ago that so few of the people he ex'ed were going to make it back in the church. So he's now experimenting with a new approach. Sounds reasonable.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Quote:
Yes. I suppose God didn't realize 20 years ago that so few of the people he ex'ed were going to make it back in the church. So he's now experimenting with a new approach. Sounds reasonable.
You see Arch, for you this wouldn't be sarcasm, but for Jay it clearly is.

Last edited by Indy Coug; 01-09-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:53 PM   #39
Tex

Quote:
There are orthodox takes on many matters, not just leadership decisions. I suspect you'll go along with anything the leadership decides, believing it to be the Lord's will.

However there are matters not requiring a leadership view, such as whether JS really was commanded to marry young girls and married women. It might be orthodox to believe there really was an angel and heterodox to believe otherwise.
I was annoyed when men were no longer permitted to teach primary or youth classes on their own.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young
Old 01-09-2008, 08:00 PM   #40
Tex

Quote:
Lame.

There are so many false assumptions in there, it's hard for me to sort it all out. Why don't you take a little break, and come back when you've calmed down.

My point: church discipline is an integral and divinely instituted part of the repentance process. That you take its adaptation to meet the needs of a different church today than "x" years ago as admission that what was done previously was "wrong" is amusing.

Again and again in these conversations I seem to encounter this peristent view: faithful members who believe in a church founded on modern-day, perpetual revelation lead by a mouthpiece of God, who constantly try and divest said church from said perpetual revelation.

- Cali Coug

- Brigham Young