cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #31
Hazzard

Hazzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
Are you saying God ordains gay marriage and the Church leaders are behind the curve on this issue?
Haha. Nice try.
Hazzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 09:03 PM   #32
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
This is something I have never understood about any of these issues.

If the Prophet is the prophet and he says gays can't marry, they can't. If you think he is wrong and is not the prophet, what do you want to be a member for anyway. I disagree with the Prophet on things over my last 41 years of life. None so profound though that I seek to have the "church" change it's view.

If I had a disagreement that profound with the church, I wouldn't go around trying to change their minds, I would just leave and join a church I believed in.

No one is forced to be a member.
The 9th Article of Faith reads:

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

I think that we have seen God reveal some unexpected things at various times through out history. The Prophet doesn't have to be "wrong" for one to hope that additional revelation will come. As I have said before, God could command or reveal almost anything. There are very few laws that are not subject to deity rewriting them. If God can command Nephi to slay Laban, institute polygamy and polyandry and then withdraw them and command that blacks receive the priesthood (when several of his prophets said this could never be) then almost anything is fair game.

There are all kinds of things large and small that I quietly disagree with and hope will change. I am not disobedient based on these thoughts because I am not so arrogant as to think I know the mind of God. But I can hope. Only a very arrogant believer finds some other church over a disagreement, but there are fundamentalists a plenty who have done just that.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:19 PM   #33
Bruincoug

Bruincoug is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God.

I think that we have seen God reveal some unexpected things at various times through out history. The Prophet doesn't have to be "wrong" for one to hope that additional revelation will come. As I have said before, God could command or reveal almost anything. There are very few laws that are not subject to deity rewriting them. If God can command Nephi to slay Laban, institute polygamy and polyandry and then withdraw them and command that blacks receive the priesthood (when several of his prophets said this could never be) then almost anything is fair game.

There are all kinds of things large and small that I quietly disagree with and hope will change. I am not disobedient based on these thoughts because I am not so arrogant as to think I know the mind of God. But I can hope. Only a very arrogant believer finds some other church over a disagreement, but there are fundamentalists a plenty who have done just that.
you expressed that much better than i did. thx.
Bruincoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:03 PM   #34
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post

UtahDan, being annoyingly sexy and on-point again. grrr...

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote