cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2007, 07:10 PM   #31
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Interestingly, the church leaders felt otherwise.
My guess is they simply didn't want to deal with the maelstrom of reaction over the inclusion of a couple of words, which had very little direct bearing on the overall message of the article. As such, whether or not they were correctly included was largely irrelevant.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:54 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Here's a 1975 version with the evolution statement still present:

http://www.lds.org/portal/site/LDSOr...____&hideNav=1
Interesting ... thanks for the link. Do you have a similar reference for Nelson?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
My guess is they simply didn't want to deal with the maelstrom of reaction over the inclusion of a couple of words, which had very little direct bearing on the overall message of the article. As such, whether or not they were correctly included was largely irrelevant.
That's kinda my thought as well.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:48 PM   #33
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road
Default Cloak & Dagger?

All of this talk of removing language from talks sounds too cloak and dagger for me on a thread where the topic is BKP as president of the church one day.

If BKP ever did become president, it will be interesting to see how he behaves on social issues, toward intellectuals, and with the press. As an apostle, he has not dealt well with any, so anything more than a continuation of that type of treatment would be speculation. Still, if ETB could do it, why not BKP? I was too young to remember any of the ETB concern when Kimball died, but I know that he was relatively non-controversial as prophet. While I would not be optimistic, I would be hopeful that BKP would be the same.

FYI - the link to the organic Book of Mormon talk is not the book of mormon talk ETB gave as prophet, but rather as a member of the quorum of 12, which is a fairly important distinction b/c it does not show that Benson carried any of his flair for controversy over from his days as a member of the QO12 to his presidency of the church.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #34
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
I would like to point out that President Joseph Fielding Smith's advocation and efforts with respect to BYU were huge. Before he became responsible for all church sponsored education programs, BYU was similar to Weber State. Beginning in the 50's, I think, he went on recruiting trips to encourage the Saints to send their children to BYU. He encouraged the Church to hire more credible staff and faculty and to genuinely make BYU a priority. Before that time most LDS folks not living in Utah sent their kids to the U long before the BYU. However, that trend began to change and then along came Lavell and the Church exploited the opportunity presented by the vacuum of legitimate WAC football programs and Lavell's greatness and glory. Collectively, we have enjoyed thousands if not millions of hard nipples as the glorious boys in various shades of blue have accomplished such great feats upon the gridiron specifically. So while many of you might not appreicate President Joseph Fielding's Smith rather conservative approach, let us not forget his sizeable contributions to the Kingdom's most glorious and notable artifact....BYU football!

P.S. These types of comments are my favorite from Happy Valley... I think it's sad when a losing record in bowl games gives somebody hard nipples!
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 08:53 PM   #35
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
P.S. These types of comments are my favorite from Happy Valley... I think it's sad when a losing record in bowl games gives somebody hard nipples!
Winning a national championship, winning over 70% of your games for 30 years, finishing in the top 20/25 over a dozen times and so forth should do more for any fan than winning a couple of bowl games against 7-6 teams and a myriad of seasons mired in anonymous mediocrity.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:59 PM   #36
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
FYI - the link to the organic Book of Mormon talk is not the book of mormon talk ETB gave as prophet, but rather as a member of the quorum of 12, which is a fairly important distinction b/c it does not show that Benson carried any of his flair for controversy over from his days as a member of the QO12 to his presidency of the church.
That's a valid point, although if memory serves, he was the Quorum president at the time. It raises the question: did the church "mysteriously" edit it after disruption in the Twelve, or did Benson acknowledge his different role as prophet and edit it himself?

Of course, there are those who might suggest Benson's long period of incapacitation was simply God punishing him for his radical views.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:02 PM   #37
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I think that's a pretty weak answer Indy. So when the bretheren do anything you don't really agree with it's just because of PR. Of course they actually still agree with you, they just can't say it.

Last edited by BlueK; 06-25-2007 at 09:08 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:05 PM   #38
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Of course, there are those who might suggest Benson's long period of incapacitation was simply God punishing him for his radical views.
Actually there were some members in the early 90s who believed that Pres. Hinckley was leading us astray during that period. Many of them left the church either to join the Manti polygamists or with the fallout surrounding the Bo Gritz for president campaign.

Last edited by BlueK; 06-25-2007 at 09:08 PM.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #39
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
Many of them left the church either to join the Manti polygamists or with the fallout surrounding the Bo Gritz for president campaign.
My testimony is finally recovering from the dissapointment of Bo Gritz losing his '92 presidential bid.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #40
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
I think that's a pretty weak answer Indy. So when the bretheren do anything you don't really agree with it's just because of PR. Of course they actually still agree with you, they just can't say it.
So that's what I was saying? I think that's a pretty weak interpretation.