cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #31
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Here's the reason Obama can't go negative--he's the candidate of change, of bringing a different kind of politics. If he becomes the candidate who is bout winning, whatever it takes, then he no longer gets credit for a different kind of politics. And suddenly he is just any old candidate, but with a lot less experience and mettle.

He's in a box on this one. Just like with the surge. He has to claim the surge was a failure.
I agree with this.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 07:52 PM   #32
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Barack Obama yesterday:

Quote:
Somebody asked John McCain, "How many houses do you have?" and he said, "I'm not sure, I'll have to check with my staff." True quote! "I'm not sure, I'll have to check with my staff."
Here's the "true" quote:

Quote:
"I think - I'll have my staff get to you. It's condominiums where - I'll have them get to you."
Obama provides "true" quotes about like Cali Coug does.

This whole so-called gaffe is a complete loser. What a silly thing to go to full court press over. If Obama wants to compete in the "who's more elitist" contest, be my guest.

One thing this has invariably done is help take the sheen off the Messiah. Or maybe his supporters will just call this Cleansing the Temple.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:38 PM   #33
Ma'ake

Ma'ake is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Here's the reason Obama can't go negative--he's the candidate of change, of bringing a different kind of politics. If he becomes the candidate who is bout winning, whatever it takes, then he no longer gets credit for a different kind of politics. And suddenly he is just any old candidate, but with a lot less experience and mettle.
I thought it wasn't going negative, it was all about "contrast".

You make a good point - this is why Obama needs to let MoveOn carry the negative load, then he can just be a little sluggish in telling them they need to cut it out, maybe even let the MSM play the commercial as they cover Obama's admonition to MoveOn to stop.

Besides that, if the change message resonates, McCain is at a disadvantage, as he's just another in a long line...

Last edited by Ma'ake; 08-22-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Ma'ake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:41 PM   #34
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Blue View Post
I've got some ocean front property in Arizona for you.
Are you George Strait and if you are not, you should be ashamed of yourself for stealing his lines. the btw, I am hoping you are George Straight...

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:43 PM   #35
Ma'ake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
This whole so-called gaffe is a complete loser. What a silly thing to go to full court press over. If Obama wants to compete in the "who's more elitist" contest, be my guest.

One thing this has invariably done is help take the sheen off the Messiah. Or maybe his supporters will just call this Cleansing the Temple.
You really think nobody cares how many homes McCain owns or how much $$ the wife brought him when they wed?

(How many houses do you have, anyway?)
Old 08-22-2008, 08:48 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
You really think nobody cares how many homes McCain owns or how much $$ the wife brought him when they wed?

(How many houses do you have, anyway?)
Obama made 4 million last year, I heard on NPR today. It was suggested his wife makes a bundle.

How many voters made 4 million last year? 1 million?

Obama can't win this one, because he's just as much the man as McCain.

At least McCain can argue he had a period of austerity in Hanoi, while Obama, at about the same age, was a druggie. Was he austere as a druggie?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 08:59 PM   #37
Ma'ake

Quote:
Obama made 4 million last year, I heard on NPR today. It was suggested his wife makes a bundle.

How many voters made 4 million last year? 1 million?

Obama can't win this one, because he's just as much the man as McCain.

At least McCain can argue he had a period of austerity in Hanoi, while Obama, at about the same age, was a druggie. Was he austere as a druggie?
Obama was raised by a single mom on welfare, a black man who has become successful. What a great example to many other Americans. Maybe the country really is ready to fully repudiate the bad parts of the past.

McCain... beyond the absolutely admirable status of a war hero in the 60s, has proven to be a womanizing opportunist, with a temper.

Besides all that... seven houses, or is it eight? OK, we'll go with the lower number.

SEVEN houses? He has no idea how most Americans live. Obama at least associates with and knows many Americans who only have one house.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:00 PM   #38
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Obama was raised by a single mom on welfare, a black man who has become successful. What a great example to many other Americans. Maybe the country really is ready to fully repudiate the bad parts of the past.

McCain... beyond the absolutely admirable status of a war hero in the 60s, has proven to be a womanizing opportunist, with a temper.

Besides all that... seven houses, or is it eight? OK, we'll go with the lower number.

SEVEN houses? He has no idea how most Americans live. Obama at least associates with and knows many Americans who only have one house.
No one cares abotu this specific issue. It may result in helping to create a negative image or impression of McCain, but this particualr fact will not be a signficant factor in itself.
Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #39
Ma'ake

Quote:
So, no, I think the Keating stuff would be a terrible move for Obama, which means of course that the dems will play it.
It's pretty far in the past, but the Keating fiasco would be most effectively played as just one of several issues, wrapped up in a single ad, part of a pattern.

"Wow, he really has been in Washington too long. That's typical Washington stuff, certainly".
Old 08-22-2008, 09:01 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

weak. not going to sell. you should be able to do much better.

he has a temper? OH NO!!! RUN!!!!!!!
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote