cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #31
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

It's sort of amusing to read posters caution against tit-for-tat on the tit-for-tattiest message boards around.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young

Last edited by Tex; 05-06-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:49 PM   #32
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
It's sort of amusing to read posters caution against tit-for-tat on the tit-for-tattiest message board around.
I just think you've just proven our point. How confidence inspiring would it be if the SP came here and posted a long diatribe about why he wrote the letter.

Even worse are tit for tat official press releases issued by the LDS Church.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #33
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
I just think you've just proven our point. How confidence inspiring would it be if the SP came here and posted a long diatribe about why he wrote the letter.

Even worse are tit for tat official press releases issued by the LDS Church.
I see nothing wrong with the SP publicly reaffirming his testimony since Bachman made that a public issue. The church (through people like Elder Ballard) has encouraged a more active defense of the faith and I don't see this as being inconsistent with that counsel.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:55 PM   #34
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm sure the SP knew if he replied to the letter, that some people would be grateful for the explanation, some people would see it as prideful, some people would analyze it trying to pick it apart, and so on, but most importantly, his wife would reward him with brownies.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 07:57 PM   #35
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I see nothing wrong with the SP publicly reaffirming his testimony since Bachman made that a public issue. The church (through people like Elder Ballard) has encouraged a more active defense of the faith and I don't see this as being inconsistent with that counsel.
I agree with you Indy. I think this we aren't allowed to mention anything because of privacy is misguided. I hope in the future when athletes at BYU are admonished by ecclesiastical leaders and the athletes speak, those leaders will come out and give their side and not hide behind we don't speak on private matters.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:02 PM   #36
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I agree with you Indy. I think this we aren't allowed to mention anything because of privacy is misguided. I hope in the future when athletes at BYU are admonished by ecclesiastical leaders and the athletes speak, those leaders will come out and give their side and not hide behind we don't speak on private matters.
I don't think there should be a hard rule about all public or all private. I think good common sense and spiritual discernment should dictate when one or the other should apply.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #37
BYU71

Quote:
I don't think there should be a hard rule about all public or all private. I think good common sense and spiritual discernment should dictate when one or the other should apply.
Good thoughts. I apply good common sense and spiritual discernment when you request I provide links.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:12 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Good thoughts. I apply good common sense and spiritual discernment when you request I provide links.
I ask for links when you refer to a historical event as if it actually occurred or if you're citing something as a fact rather than as your opinion.

If you make it clear as your opinion, then the odds are greatly reduced that I will be interested in a substantiating link.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 PM   #39
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

All this talk of "SPs" is starting to make me feel a little Tom Cruisey.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #40
BYU71

Quote:
I ask for links when you refer to a historical event as if it actually occurred or if you're citing something as a fact rather than as your opinion.

If you make it clear as your opinion, then the odds are greatly reduced that I will be interested in a substantiating link.
So are you telling me what the SP said when responding was his opinion or factual. I took it that you thought the SP was sharing something you believed to be factual and not actually his opinion. One of the two are not repeating accurately what happened.

You are dancing here Indy. In one case it is OK for a SP to repeat what was said, "facts no opinion), however in other cases they can hide behind the privacy thing. Of course your dance ends in "based on how the spirit directs them". You and I might understand that, but some might see that as a cop out. Back to the, you always have God's backing because after all it is he who is directing through the spirit when to talk and when not to and any "good" member would not question what God has said through the spirit.

So I say to you, in every instance so far where you have asked me to provide a link, God through the spirit has told me not to. Why, I don't know, but he has advised me not to.