cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #31
BarbaraGordon

BarbaraGordon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Thank goodness for Prop 8. It saved our children from almost certain doom.
Plus we got to belittle and humiliate our neighbors in the process. Woohoo! If this is compassionate conservatism, I'd sure hate to see the other variety.
BarbaraGordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #32
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
Plus we got to belittle and humiliate our neighbors in the process. Woohoo! If this is compassionate conservatism, I'd sure hate to see the other variety.
The nice thing about this being over is that people can go back to pretending to love homosexuals, just not homosexuality.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:16 PM   #33
cougarobgon

cougarobgon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
You think you have said something insightful here, that I'll shrink from such a superficial jab? I think opponents of gay marriage ignorant bigots, absolutely, whatever color they may be. I am no respecter of the color line in issuing that condemnation. I have no doubt that support vs. opppose Prop. 8 had a great deal to do with education levels. What an irnoniclly sad and tragic comment that blacks were the ones who amended the California Constitution in this way.
I have stayed out of the prop 8 discussions on this board, but after reading SU's post, I had to jump in...from many of the posts that I have read on this board, I gather that many of you whose positions were "no" on prop 8 label us prop 8 supporters as "uneducated", "bigots", or "sheep" blindly following the dictates of a group of old white men from SLC that are out of touch with current society. BS on this! I made my decision on the gay issue long ago and it had nothing to do with the Church's position on gay marriage or that I am a bigot or uneducated.

The gay lifestyle simply contradicts all that I have ever been taught with respect to proper relationships between men and women. Those teachings have not only come from the Church leaders, but were also principles taught to me by a mother that was raised catholic. My mother has a 3rd grade education, born in Mexico, barely speaks any english, but, on her own raised 5 kids that all went on to college, got their degrees, and are now good citizens where they live. She taught us that education was our ticket out of poverty and made sure we went to school to learn. Despite her limited education, she is probably one of the smartest people I know. My mother taught us to recognize proper moral behaviors, as defined by our belief in a Supreme Creator. And, living a gay lifestyle, violated that Supreme Creator's teachings. We were never taught that if we lived gay lifestyles we were going to hell or going to die of aids, we were taught to respect others' rights, but, we were taught to stand up to that which we believe to be immoral and did not promote decency and morality.

Now, one can argue for or against the merits of prop 8 and its implications on society, but, I believe voting for prop 8 simply came down to how uncomfortable people become when they think about two men having sex. Some of you may get turned on just thinking about it, but I don't, it disgusts me and don't want anything to with it. And I certainly don't want to legitimize what I consider to be improper moral behavior by diluting the significance of how a man and woman express their commitment to one another by getting married.

I am not a practitioner of medicine and have no "book learning" with respect to whether one is born gay or makes a choice to become gay. I believe in God and believe it was never his intent that a man lay with another man. He created Adam and Eve and there are no ifs, ands, or buts about it.

If I don't stand up to those whose sole purpose is to legitimize the "gay agenda" or for that matter, to stand up against other issues that I believe to be immoral, then I am not excercising my rights as an American citizen. But it does not make me a bigot, undeducated or sheep. Those supporting prop 8 spoke, those against prop 8 spoke, the people voted, game over, at least for now.

To be honest, it was not only SU's post that got me all fired up, that LDS missionary add yesterday had somenthing to do with it as well. I was not offended by the add as it was comical, it just irked me that the Church was singled out when other denominations also supported the prop and the majority of the voters belong to the other denominations.
cougarobgon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #34
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Nope, that's a straw man. You're on a roll today, ER.
A straw man that you're somehow defending. Do I need to spell this out? After all, any dissent on a supreme court decision would be made by a qualified SC justice who understands the constitution, right? And the SC has no right to trump the people's will, right?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:24 PM   #35
Flystripper

Flystripper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The nice thing about this being over is that people can go back to pretending to love homosexuals, just not homosexuality.
Exactly. In addition, a whole new generation of young Mormons will find is easy to pretend with their parents now. Mormon children everywhere have seen the hand of god strike down gay love in CA. Isn't it neat?!
Flystripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:25 PM   #36
ERCougar

Quote:
Prop 8 passed. The Constitution will be amended.

And somewhere, in some California classroom today, a teacher is still telling his or her students that gays can adopt, some people have 2 moms or 2 dads, that there are all kinds of ways to create a family. Students and parents are still free to organize an optional trip to watch their lesbian teacher get married. Teachers still can hand out the book "King and King" to students. Parents have no more or no less right to opt their kids out of the California education system.

Thank goodness for Prop 8. It saved out children from almost certain doom.
I thought this was just another law that was going to be challenged again before the court; I didn't realize they were proposing to amend the consitution. Is a simple majority all it takes to amend the consitution?
Old 11-05-2008, 05:28 PM   #37
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flystripper View Post
Exactly. In addition, a whole new generation of young Mormons will find is easy to pretend with their parents now. Mormon children everywhere have seen the hand of god strike down gay love in CA. Isn't it neat?!
LMAO! What a bunch of jackasses you all are.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:30 PM   #38
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraGordon View Post
LMAO! That is priceless!
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #39
ERCougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Cat View Post
LMAO! What a bunch of jackasses you all are.
Good ol Norcalcat...Just humbly following the prophet. Setting the example for the rest of us. I can almost hear President Monson saying the same thing.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:31 PM   #40
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
A straw man that you're somehow defending. Do I need to spell this out? After all, any dissent on a supreme court decision would be made by a qualified SC justice who understands the constitution, right? And the SC has no right to trump the people's will, right?
Apparently I have to spell it out for you. Again.

My point to SoCal is that even the most highly educated and legally bright among us are quite divided over whether or not the CA Supreme Court could legally step in. Four judges argued they could (and did); three argued they couldn't.

I happen to agree with the three. He agrees with the four. That doesn't make either of us by definition "ignorant."

Your little straw man is entirely ancillary to the discussion.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote