cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 05:34 PM   #31
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Here is the problem with the way most scheduling is done. People claim we need to schedule good Pac-10 teams. Well, how long have those schools been on the schedule? Long enough that who knows how good they were when we originally scheduled them, and who knows how good they'll be when we actually play.

It isn't like NCAA 2008 where you can hand pick your schedule at the start of the year and everybody in the country complies.

Honestly, all the bitching and moaning about schedule, I could care less. Would I like it if our home schedule each year included games against prominent teams? You bet. But honestly, I want to see BYU take care of their own business first and win. Just win the damn games on your schedule and everything else will take care of itself.

Now, obviously, I am not saying that they should have SUU, Weber State and Utah State as the out of Conference games every year; BYU hasn't gone out and done that. I think they've done a good job at trying to add BCS teams that they can beat without having to do many 2-for-1's or scheduling without a return visit, as well as bringing in quality non-BCS opponents (for the most part). We were spoiled in 2004 having BSU, USC and Notre Dame as our non-conference opponents. That was an anomaly of a scheduling year, and for the most part BYU did a decent job against those teams. I don't know how many other schools can claim that they played 3 undefeated teams in one season.

As far as 1AA's are concerned, if the choice was having 5 home games without a 1AA team and 6 with a 1AA team, I'd take the 6 home games every time.

So, to summarize my points:

1) 6 home games > 5 home games
2) Win all the games on your schedule before arguing that you need a tougher schedule
3) BYU71 will threaten to cancel his tickets, but if the team is winning and competing for a MWC championship year in, year out, he'll be there
I can speak for myself. If the team is winning and competing for the MWC championship, then of course I will buy my tickets. The two I buy now, not the four I used to buy. I wouldn't let my tickets go primarily because every other year promises to be a good to very good home schedule.

I will tell you this. If we got into a BCS conference or had BCS type schedules, I would be willing to have my ticket prices go up 50%.

The trouble will come for BYU if they start having average years and lousy home schedules. Those who have jumped on the bandwaggon lately will jump off just as fast.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 05:47 PM   #32
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
I can speak for myself. If the team is winning and competing for the MWC championship, then of course I will buy my tickets. The two I buy now, not the four I used to buy. I wouldn't let my tickets go primarily because every other year promises to be a good to very good home schedule.

I will tell you this. If we got into a BCS conference or had BCS type schedules, I would be willing to have my ticket prices go up 50%.

The trouble will come for BYU if they start having average years and lousy home schedules. Those who have jumped on the bandwaggon lately will jump off just as fast.
I agree with everything you said. Although I'm not sure how good it would be for the team if they are losing and have tough home schedules. Is it really good for the team to play in front of 65,000 fans who are just there to see Notre Dame instead of watching BYU? For me, that is why having a winning program is the most important thing. Win, and everything else will take care of itself. If BYU gets to the point of having to schedule Utah State, Weber State and SUU to win, they'd be in just as much, if not more trouble if they were scheduling Notre Dame, USC and Michigan.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:03 AM   #33
HuskyFreeNorthwest

HuskyFreeNorthwest is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
I agree with everything you said. Although I'm not sure how good it would be for the team if they are losing and have tough home schedules. Is it really good for the team to play in front of 65,000 fans who are just there to see Notre Dame instead of watching BYU? For me, that is why having a winning program is the most important thing. Win, and everything else will take care of itself. If BYU gets to the point of having to schedule Utah State, Weber State and SUU to win, they'd be in just as much, if not more trouble if they were scheduling Notre Dame, USC and Michigan.
Of course winning is the most important. But an exciting schedule has something to do with it also. If this team goes 7-5, with the dog of a home schedule they have next year ticket sales will suck, outside of UCLA not one game that gets anyone interested.

If I were BYU I would try and get TCU and Utah moved to different years, even if that mean going to TCU for 2 straight years (obviously we wouldn't go to Utah for 2 straight years).
HuskyFreeNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:02 PM   #34
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I agree. I hate playing 1AA. The only exciting thing about these games is if the favored team loses.

The best way to discourage this is not attend these games. When the attendance dips to 40k, and the mtn network refuses to televise it, we may be getting somewhere.
Yes...well, remember, last year SDSU lost to Portland State. The Aztecs now have to go and play PSU in Portland. This is a Gerry Glanville coached team...could be a fun one to keep an eye on again. SDSU was devastated after their loss to a D-1AA school.