cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 05:01 PM   #31
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Archea, Hong Kong is now part of a totalitarian country. It's no longer part of the Brithish Commonwealth. It is part of China.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #32
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
Archea, Hong Kong is now part of a totalitarian country. It's no longer part of the Brithish Commonwealth. It is part of China.
But it's part of a special economic zone, and many liberalities are allowed, including some free speech. I admit the lack of civil liberties is disconcerting, but if my lifestyle is greater than here, I guess I can go on vacation and worry about civil liberties whereas here, under Herr Hillary, I will no longer afford my vacation so that I can sit home to enjoy the civil liberties of being able to marry a man I don't want to marry.

I choose economic liberty first and foremost.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:17 PM   #33
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
But it's part of a special economic zone, and many liberalities are allowed, including some free speech. I admit the lack of civil liberties is disconcerting, but if my lifestyle is greater than here, I guess I can go on vacation and worry about civil liberties whereas here, under Herr Hillary, I will no longer afford my vacation so that I can sit home to enjoy the civil liberties of being able to marry a man I don't want to marry.

I choose economic liberty first and foremost.
I readily admit that half of what I say is pure bullshit. But it frightens me a bit that you might actually believe some of the stuff you say.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:18 PM   #34
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I readily admit that half of what I say is pure bullshit. But it frightens me a bit that you might actually believe some of the stuff you say.

You believe economic liberty is of no value? You are naive. And I hope you may remain such unharmed.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #35
non sequitur

Quote:
You believe economic liberty is of no value? You are naive. And I hope you may remain such unharmed.
I believe it's of value. I just don't get all Henny-Penny about it.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
Old 10-05-2007, 05:47 PM   #36
Archaea

Quote:
I believe it's of value. I just don't get all Henny-Penny about it.
It's the core value from which all other liberties hinge. Without it, none of the other liberties mean much, with it, you may actually live a pleasant life even if you are deprived of other meaningful liberties.

It is the single most important core liberty any citizen can have. We jump up and down about every other liberty, which I admit are important, but without economic liberty in all its varieties all others are meaningless.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:03 PM   #37
non sequitur

Quote:
It's the core value from which all other liberties hinge. Without it, none of the other liberties mean much, with it, you may actually live a pleasant life even if you are deprived of other meaningful liberties.

It is the single most important core liberty any citizen can have. We jump up and down about every other liberty, which I admit are important, but without economic liberty in all its varieties all others are meaningless.
Since it's the most important core liberty, I'm guessing you're for Universal Health Care and affordable housing for the poor.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:06 PM   #38
Archaea

Quote:
Since it's the most important core liberty, I'm guessing you're for Universal Health Care and affordable housing for the poor.
No.

Those are expenditures of government. Liberties are ones individuals create for themselves, not entitlements created by government to continue enslavement to the government.

We must rely upon market forces and tinker with the market, not invite the abrogation of free market forces through unnecessary and expensive governmental intervention. Intervention is tantamount to abrogation of liberty. Government doesn't create liberty it merely protects it.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #39
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman View Post
It pains me to say this, but I think it'll happen, even though she's hated by so many voters (myself included). For two reasons:

1. She'll get the most favorable press coverage of any candidate in the history of the republic. They'll slowly weaken people's resistance.

2. The GOP candidates are weak.

Let's face it, Romney can't win - he's a Mormon and is considered a flip-flopper (not necessarily undeserved either).

Rudy just has too much family baggage, plus it's hard for die hard 2nd ammendment types to get behind him.

McCain is too old and for some reason isn't getting the favorable press coverage he got in 2000. Maybe it's his stance on Iraq.

Thompson - just not seeing it. The whole thing with his cleavaged "trophy wife" just seems un-Presidential.

I pray I'm wrong and I'll throw my full support behind behind the GOP nominee, but I'm not very optimistic.

Problem is, unlike liberals, we have no safety-valve country to flee to. I guess I'll focus on my bunker and building up my ammo cache.
The ONLY thing that would persuade me to vote Republican next year would be the fear of more liberal jurists. Of course, half of the ones you think are conservative turn out not to be. Be that as it may, this is damage that it takes much, much longer to undo. That issue aside, I would vote for Hillary simply to punish Republicans. Oh, and I've NEVER pulled the lever for a Democrat before in my life.
Old 10-05-2007, 07:26 PM   #40
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
We jump up and down about every other liberty, which I admit are important, but without economic liberty in all its varieties all others are meaningless.
I have always wondered why Jefferson reformulated Locke's "Life, liberty and property" in to "Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness." Context probably.