cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 AM   #31
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Having been born in '64, I don't remember McKay, so I'd have to put Hinkley or Kimball as my favorite.
I remember McKay a little bit.

My kids are pretty sad. He is the only prophet they really knew. Kimball was the same for me in many ways.

My mother told me that it seemed to be a huge loss when DOM passed away. He also served for many years and had a big impact on the church.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:16 AM   #32
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
He had a way of making you think that knew him and that he cared about you. In other words, his warmth made the church a smaller place.
Amen to that. I fee like I just lost a grandfather.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 AM   #33
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by danimal View Post
I'm less inclined to think of further financial commitments or expanding building usage, but I agree that materialism is a huge problem. I'm always surprised when I visit Utah at how big and nice the houses are, how a large proportion of people drive nice cars, and too many people look like they came out of glamor shots.
I'm very serious in my opinion that the removal of the ward budget from contribution by members has led to the erosion of the social fabric of wards, and thus led to significant lessening of ward cohesion and morale.

I don't think you can run a social organization when you only put 1% of your collections into its actual activities.

The church is having difficulty selling its social product, because there is no social product to sell.

I feel like I'm part of my ward's social fabric, however grudgingly. But I don't think I have eaten a meal, not once, in the home of any current members in my ward.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:20 AM   #34
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Heres a nice one from the New York Times

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/01/28/us...in&oref=slogin
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

It's hard to believe, but GBH's grandfather, must have known Joseph Smith, and if GBH knew his grandfather, he knew someone who knew Joseph Smith.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #36
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Factually incorrect but a good article.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:29 AM   #37
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Factually incorrect but a good article.
It's the NY Times. Fact really aren't it's strength.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:30 AM   #38
danimal

danimal is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
I'm very serious in my opinion that the removal of the ward budget from contribution by members has led to the erosion of the social fabric of wards, and thus led to significant lessening of ward cohesion and morale.

I don't think you can run a social organization when you only put 1% of your collections into its actual activities.

The church is having difficulty selling its social product, because there is no social product to sell.

I feel like I'm part of my ward's social fabric, however grudgingly. But I don't think I have eaten a meal, not once, in the home of any current members in my ward.
With the wealth disparities between wards, I don't see the church going back to the old system.

When I was in you ward, I was admittedly uninvested because I knew we were only there temporarily, but your ward was pretty low on the friendliness and welcoming continuum. Other than you, the only people I got to know were because I made an effort to go meet and talk to them. Their problems may go beyond budget issues.
Tobias: You know, Lindsay, as a therapist, I have advised a number of couples to explore an open relationship where the couple remains emotionally committed, but free to explore extra-marital encounters.

Lindsay: Well, did it work for those people?

Tobias: No, it never does. I mean, these people somehow delude themselves into thinking it might, but...but it might work for us.
danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 AM   #39
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I am saying that Monson alive, means that the next guy in line isn't the President.
One of your greatest fears, no? I'm trying to picture what CG might have been like on the evening Bruce McConkie died.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 04:34 AM   #40
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
It's hard to believe, but GBH's grandfather, must have known Joseph Smith, and if GBH knew his grandfather, he knew someone who knew Joseph Smith.
Mike I was telling my wife the same thing not more than 5 minutes ago. President Hinckley was working for the church in 1930. The church was restored in 1830. Its crazy to think his grandfather most likely knew Joseph Smith.