cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2008, 12:03 AM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Hans Olsen went off in the post game show about how they are misusing Jan. He said we have a d-end that is going to be the all time sacks leader in the conference, he is coming off an 80 tackle and 15 sack season playing in the 3-4 and you are going to change your philosophy and make him play more assignment football.

He said in practice he has heard them get mad at Jan for just rushing the passer and not clogging a gap. Jan is 255 pounds he is not a nose guard. Yet today they had him play a few snaps lined up over the center. On 80% of his snaps he lines up inside over the guard. It is unbelievable how they are using him this year.

I line him up 2 yards outside the left tackle and let him straight speed rush.

My other pet peeve is running Clawson off the field when we go to nickel and leaving Bauman in. None of the middle backers cover very well but at least you can drop Nixon, and let Clawson rush. Instead of leaving in Bauman to get smoked.
Agreed completely. You are close to the program- surely the players are unhappy about this. Who is driving the defensive train right now? Is this Hill changing up the scheme? Bronco?

They need to fix it, and fast. A team like Utah will be tough to stop with this scheme.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:08 AM   #32
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I can understand a little bit why on occasion they were lining Jan under Center. Russell T didn't play today so behind Foketi, they put Dulan and Jan there on some snaps to spell Moses.

Still...Jan is a pure pass rusher and I don't think the coaches are using him effectively and to be honest I think it's affecting his confidence a little bit.

This defense as presently constituted is going to give up 50+ to Utah if they don't figure out something quick.

At this point in the season though I don't really know what you can do scheme wise to change things up. I noticed the Corners were playing a little closer up today. Especially Bradley...he was jamming his guy at the line which was nice to see. Howard....well he's just a lost cause.

Seriously...the guy is the fastest player on the team and I think he would be better used next season as a slot WR or a KR.....what he used to do in High School. The guy is a converted corner and clearly just doesn't have the mental makeup to play the position. Why not use his athleticism in a more effective manner?

On a positive note I was happy to see the ball spread around more today offensively and to see Fui have a big game and to see Chambers get his 1st collegiate TD. It was pretty funny how easy he made that route and TD play look.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:11 AM   #33
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
I can understand a little bit why on occasion they were lining Jan under Center. Russell T didn't play today so behind Foketi, they put Dulan and Jan there on some snaps to spell Moses.

Still...Jan is a pure pass rusher and I don't think the coaches are using him effectively and to be honest I think it's affecting his confidence a little bit.

This defense as presently constituted is going to give up 50+ to Utah if they don't figure out something quick.

At this point in the season though I don't really know what you can do scheme wise to change things up. I noticed the Corners were playing a little closer up today. Especially Bradley...he was jamming his guy at the line which was nice to see. Howard....well he's just a lost cause.

Seriously...the guy is the fastest player on the team and I think he would be better used next season as a slot WR or a KR.....what he used to do in High School. The guy is a converted corner and clearly just doesn't have the mental makeup to play the position. Why not use his athleticism in a more effective manner?

On a positive note I was happy to see the ball spread around more today offensively and to see Fui have a big game and to see Chambers get his 1st collegiate TD. It was pretty funny how easy he made that route and TD play look.
I agree. I don't know why Chambers hasn't had the fade route at other times this season. He was running that route in fall camp and was abusing our DBs (I know, not saying much, but still...). He is big, fast and athletic. I hope they use him more.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:49 AM   #34
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Actually a lot of this IS in factual reality on the secondary and the schemes that the Secondary and Linebackers are forced to play with in coverage..... When the offense you're facing is spreading the field out...what a defense is forced to do when your spread out 4 and 5 wide...it AUTOMATICALLY......let me restate...it AUTOMATICALLY takes away an additional rusher...at the bare minimum.. to get to the Quarterback and makes getting pressure on him that much more difficult. It also makes it more difficult when you have consistently quick 3 step drops to get rid of the ball.....the problem is NOT the dline...or the outside backers.

Bauman also isn't worse than Shawn Doman or Kellen Fowler or David Tafuna or Brandon Howard,,,,but it's close.

My anger is directed towards a scheme that is there in place to mask the lack of athleticism that is clearly apparent.

The other part of my anger is directed towards a stubborn staff that has BETTER players playing less than they should.

There isn't a reason why Brandon Howard should still be starting.

There isn't a reason why Andrew Rich and Brandon Bradley shouldn't be starting.

There isn't a reason that I can figure out why the Coaches are handcuffing Jan Jorgensens ability to rush the QB and the new assignments they're giving him...they've basically made it based on the defensive assignments less of a pass rusher and it pisses me off. He's by far our best pash rusher and how they're using him is baffling the hell out of me.
Good post Rocky.

I hate our scheme...

There is no reason Bradley and Rich shouldn't be starting. I am also starting to wonder why Teo is not back there either.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:50 AM   #35
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Good post Rocky.

I hate our scheme...

There is no reason Bradley and Rich shouldn't be starting. I am also starting to wonder why Teo is not back there either.
Because,

Quote:
It's the system, we have no stars
You got that right, coach.
Old 10-26-2008, 12:52 AM   #36
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:

I don't think scheme wise there is anything we can do right now. I hope they take a big look this off season and realize the scheme in place will not continue to win them championships. I am surprised it took teams this long to figure out how to attack it. What they can do know if put the best players on the field. That is something that is not happening that can be changed.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:35 AM   #37
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
Good post Rocky.

I hate our scheme...

8 games in, I would imagine that they're holding Teo out on a redshirt, right?
Old 10-26-2008, 04:22 AM   #38
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Easier for 5 OL to block 3 DL than if we put

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I don't blame this on the secondary. The D-line and LBs rarely got any pressure on their QB. The LBs consistently took poor angles, and almost always focused on the QB run, even when it was clear the QB didn't have enough gas to run the ball today.

Bauman is the worst player on our defense and is the primary reason we are struggling right now on defense.
another DL on the defense. The 3-4 is not geared towards our strengths....which is the DL.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:24 AM   #39
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default If we had Gary Anderson as DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
If we had Whit for defense, this sort of shit wouldn't happen.

I admit, our corners are pathetic in terms of talent, but usually we can recruit adequate safeties. Where is Teo?

Why don't we try more 4-3, stunting and changing the alignment at the line to keep the OLine confused.

The Oline spacing seems weird, it's almost a mess. The running lanes are not very precise.

I'm not a genius when it comes to football, gross understatement, but if I can see, the coaches can, so what gives?
we wouldn't look this bad.

I think Whit and Anderson will make us look silly on Nov. 22. I'm sure y'all agree since no one has taken me up on my $50 wager.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:07 AM   #40
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
8 games in, I would imagine that they're holding Teo out on a redshirt, right?
No, he's played on Special Teams all year and got in some games reps at Safety, but usually when the games have been out of reach.

I think he'll be starting next year next to Rich at Safety.