cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2007, 04:47 PM   #31
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCoug View Post
I get this. I understand it and agree with it.

My question is, why is this point so frequently brought up in the context of esoteric doctrinal discussions? In fact, it seems to be the standard answer for several people to those sorts of discussions.

I have a lot of conversations with my father about BYU football. We can talk for an hour at a time, particularly during the season. Not once has he deemed it necessary to point out that a thorough knowledge of BYU football is not necessary for my salvation.

Why do people find that so important to point out with regard to doctrinal discussions?

My thought is that Doctrinal discussions and investigations are important, but not necessary. Knowledge of doctrinal issues obtained through normal learning techniques is, at best imperfect. The true doctrine of Christ is to do his will, to manifest charity, or his love. This can only be understood, or learned, through action, IMO. It is an operational definition. This does not mean that study of doctrine isn't useful or interesting or even that it is not important. authority to act and perform ordinances is important, as others pointed out, and a comprehension of God's will in this regard is important. At the end of the day, however, how we make those learned ideas operational in our life is what matters. ANything else is a distraction or a diversion, How much of a diversion depends on the item. BYUfootball is not a very significant diversion because no one will ever confuse it with something that needs ot be done or understood for salvation. worrying about the Adam/God theory, however,could be more dangerous because it has the potential to be distracting at the worse possible part of your life. I think that study and learning are useful and important. I also think that they are more important for some than others, as they relate to any given person's capacities or gifts in different ways. At the base of all else, however, is Charity.