cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #41
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
In other news, McCain and Obama announce that they will run together as "joint-Presidents".
LOL. Healing a nation.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #42
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about your guys, but in these uncertain times, I plan to cling to my guns and religion (i.e. food storage).
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #43
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Absolutely correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Here's the 5-minute speech. Wow, minutes away from (allegedly) clinching the deal that she's been begging the Republicans to get on board for, and she kicks them in the teeth. And to boot, she can't even round up her own caucus.

Are there two more feckless and ineffective leaders in America today than Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid? Yes, I'm including George Bush.

http://www.breitbart.tv/html/184803.html
Why can't the monster Pelosi get 13 out of the 94 Dem's who voted against the measure to get on board. It's not the republicans, it's her own caucus. What a fool!
Old 09-29-2008, 07:53 PM   #44
exUte

Default She turned it into political posturing and

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
How do you think this is going to help the narrative? "We WERE going to vote for it, but she was a meanie head! So there!"

Short of a good economic argument, nobody is going to get off the hook for voting no, especially those Republicans relying on such a stupid excuse.
finger pointing. shocking.

so the repubs gave her the Indy Coug finger themselves. All she has to do is get 13 more of her Dem buddies to sign on. Shouldn't be too difficult.

You don't bite the hand that you hope is going to feed you. Human Nature 101.
Old 09-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #45
exUte

Default Let the games begin.........

Quote:
Everyone is finger pointing right now. That isn't helpful at all. Today the market suffered the biggest one day loss in our nation's history. Congress just needs to get its act together. The proximity of the election makes all of this much more political than it otherwise would be.

Bush wants this passed. He has to get it passed. His legacy depends on it.

The Dems in Congress can't afford for this to fail. They don't want to be the goats everyone looks at if it can't get passed.

Republicans in the House also likely want it passed (albeit reluctantly), but they can afford to be more cavalier politically, because the Dems have the power to pass it on their own without any Republican help. If the House Republicans really hated the provision, they could ensure it wouldn't pass with a filibuster. They won't do that, because it would kill them politically. They would prefer that the provision pass with Dem support only so they can then say they had no part with what may be a very unpopular bill nationwide.

The Dems know the House Republicans' game, so they countered by saying at least 100 must vote for it or the Dems won't let it pass. That way, the bill is everyone's fault if it fails.

Neither McCain nor Obama can afford to be either too pro or too con on the bill. They both just hope it passes without much more fuss so they can move on and deal with it in January.

This is highly political right now. Who will blink first? The Dems could get it done now, I think, with no Republican support. They won't do that. Pressure will mount on Republicans to support the bill as the media crucifies them for obstinancy (and saying Pelosi was rude isn't going to help them). Republicans could cave now and vote for it, but then they look hypocritical and weak. Bush and McCain will up the pressure on House Republicans, and they will feel more political heat than they have ever fealt in their lives.

My guess is that House Republicans get one more provision inserted that allows them to save face, and it passes.
that's why we need term limits so that perhaps we can get politicians to do what is in OUR best interest rather than in THEIR best interest.

It works for the president, why not congress?
Old 09-29-2008, 08:32 PM   #46
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
He who fights and runs away
May live to fight another day.
Just like Sir Robin.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #47
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Just like Sir Robin.
Actually, that line is from Blake Edwards's The Great Race.

But i love monty pyton ik den holen gralen, also.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:39 PM   #48
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Waters: Cali=Sanford was pantheon material.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:41 PM   #49
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Actually, that line is from Blake Edwards's The Great Race.

But i love monty pyton ik den holen gralen, also.
I knew your line wasn't from Holy Grail, but you uncharacteristically missed what I was saying - Sir Robin was a coward, just like, well, who MBN is talking about.

That was my little shot at him.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #50
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
How do you think this is going to help the narrative? "We WERE going to vote for it, but she was a meanie head! So there!"

Short of a good economic argument, nobody is going to get off the hook for voting no, especially those Republicans relying on such a stupid excuse.
Oh, I don't know that it gets anyone off the hook. I just think it shows what incredibly bad judgment Pelosi exercises. No wonder Congress has a 9% approval rating.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote